Sickles

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by zhuge, Jun 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Ok, these weapons are not placed in the game despite the fact that there is a Weapon Focus: Sickle in the game. Browsing through files also reveals Weapon Specialization: Sickle and Improved Critical: Sickle.

Why implement it you may ask. Well because it has some differing characteristics: simple weapon (does not require martial proficiency like shortsword), light weapon and finessable, 1d6 (more damage than dagger) but with a lower crit range (20 only) and is a tad more pricey. So a druid could dual wield them without needing to take a level of fighter for proficiency. Also I can't see why it wouldn't be a common weapon though since Hommlet being a village and having fields would probably see the use of them.
    Oh and most importantly, there appears to be just enough code in the exe for us to slip in the data entries and let the exe take care of the rest.

Ok, so make a new line in protos.tab. If you are using v3.0.3 there will already be some new items, so the next line here should be {4236}

Add in these fields to the new line:

Col0 4236
    Col1 obj_t_weapon
    Col2 Sickle
    Col23 4236
    Col24 size_small
    Col27 mat_metal
    Col30 2
    Col34 10044
    Col50 OIF_NO_NPC_PICKUP
    Col51 2
    Col52 600
    Col53 67
    Col61 OIF_WEAR_WEAPON_PRIMARY OIF_WEAR_WEAPON_SECONDARY

Col68 2
    Col69 D20DT_SLASHING
    Col70 1d6
    Col72 Sickle
    Col73 20

Col30 codes for some category stuff. I've put it as 2 (similar to shortswords)
    Col34 codes for model (I've used the scimitar model so it'll appear like a scimitar when your character wields it)
    Col53 codes for model in inventory (I've used the scimitar model, so it'll appear as a scimitar in the character's inventory)

I would prefer better art especially for the inventory model (Col53). If anyone wants to help out, please find some nice pics of sickles and convert them into the proper art format. I'm not at good at art stuff so you'll have search around a bit.

Don't forget to add {4236}{Sickle} to description.mes.

Next, we'll need to insert the new sickle, when Weapon Focus for it is taken. Open up pc_start.py.
    Insert:
    feat_weapon_focus_sickle: 4236

I inserted this line after:
    feat_weapon_focus_club: 4074
    but it probably works well even if inserted elsewhere

Tested - it works with weapon finesse. Is a simple weapon. Wizards are not proficient in it. And fighters who start with weapon focus: sickle do get a proper sickle in their inventory (they used to get a dagger or nothing previously IIRC).
    So everything seems ok so far.

Next, we'll need to insert a sickle in Brother Smyth's shop and perhaps a Masterwork Sickle in Otis's inventory. We can put some extra ones (eg: Sickle +1) in the game later with dialogue scripts (maybe Jaroo might give us one if the party was nice towards him). :)
    I've sketched the outline. Volunteers (modders and testers) to complete the task needed.

2. Pebz

Pebz Member

Here is a sickle icon I've put together.

Added a .jpg file in the zip if you don't have a program to view .tga files.

edit: file won't refresh...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  3. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Excellent! Now that's what I call a sickle. :)

4. Pebz

Pebz Member

Tested the icon in-game, works fine.

Now all we need is a sickle model insted of scimitar.

Ignore the file in my previous post, re-download this if you already have it.

Attached Files:

Our Host!