Should the Orc prespawn for the Ogre Cave be a quest?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by rufnredde, Jun 25, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

Should the Orc prespawn for the Ogre Cave be a quest?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. No opinion

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Why are you bothering me with this superfluous post?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

I need everyone's opinion here. Should the Orc Prespawn be a logbook type quest, or just a little side adventure as it is right now?

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Logbook type quests should be when dialogue with an NPC allows a person to select a "Yes, I will do this-n-that for and to help you." or "Yes, I will kill the monsters for you.".

IMO - On this question, you, Rufnredde and CtB, can decide as you guys are the modders.

3. rufnredde

Would you quit using the "you decide you are the modder stuff" as a krutch.

From a modding point of view. Changing this to a quest is an easy thing to do. The dialog and all that can be changed to fit the quest scenario, and the files added and modified to add the quest name, et. al. That is not the question here.(see note 1)

The question is should it be a quest? I personally don't care one way or the other whether it is a quest. Yes I could have made the decision on my own and just made the necessary changes. I could happily hack along and do a lot of things, if I wanted to, but would that make the game enjoyable for anyone but me?

I am asking this more from a game balance perspective, and to find out what the players want.

Quests when you complete them, add experience points, in addition to whatever experience you amassed while accomplishing the quest. There is that to think about.

There is also the question of whether we as a group, want to fill the logbook, with a bunch of named tasks, just because we can. IMO some of the quest we have now that are granting XP points, may as well be named. Stuff like "Relieved Myself", and is complete as soon as your character takes a dump, and the party then is awarded 7000 XP, which is the minimum reward for any quest at this time.

So this poll is more or less to find out, whether the community at Co8, wants this prespawn to be a quest. I apologize to everyone that finds this post to be a rant, but I have asked a simple question here and am just looking for a simple answer. Yes and no questions are not usually answered with opinions, IMO.

Thanks Everyone.

Note 1 - If anyone wants to learn how to add a quest to the game. I would be happy to show them how, if enough people want to know. I'll write a tutorial. But I'm not putting a couple of hours of my time into writing instructions on how to do something, I have already taught myself to do. Unless I know it will be used.

4. bigron

bigron Member

I think it makes a fine quest.:mrhappy:

5. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I think it'd be great as a quest, so I voted for making it a quest.

- Agetian

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think it should definitely be a quest, Ruf. When we have 'tasks' that are not formally 'quests,' we seem to add confusion, like with what Zeb's trying to sort out with the Moathouse right now. Plus, I like the idea of being able to get early XP, so you can skip some fed-exing if you like. Lastly, I think the original idea behind quests was based on a belief that players would be stupid and not able to keep track of what they had to do. So having something for them to do that is not reflected in their log may result in them not doing it.

Note to Ruf only: please keep me appraised of any/all dialogue changes you make to Kenter Nevets, as I'm trying to get Zorn to do your additions. I'd rather not have to go to him again later with another "hey how about one more line" type request. ;)

Also, I took the liberty of making a few grammatical-type changes to your added dialogue, hope you don't mind.

7. rufnredde

@Gaear no actually, I knew about those and went in to fix them in my latest fix post and they were already done, I thought the grammar fairies had done it, but it was you thanks, I have no problem at all, with help:) now if you went in and started making wholesale changes to my code... but helping make it better is always fine:)

The only dialog changes that have even been suggested are a line thanking the party after they are done, if you think that's appropriate, go ahead and write one and have the voice done, then either add it to the dialog or send it to me and I'll do it. Thats about it for that.

Good looks like everyone wants to see a quest for various reasons, so I'll go ahead and add that change, and unless something drastic changes with this poll, I'll put it in, any ideas how much additional XP we want to give for this and if anyone wants to name it thats cool:)

Edit -
    @Gaear - ust so you know, alot of the time when I say changes to the dilog file I am speaking about the conditions. In this case it was the conditional for the quest, (mentioned, accepted, botched, completed) and not the actual text of the dialog itself. I am very aware of all the hard work you put in voicing the voiceless, and if I make any changes at all to the NPC's dialog I will be sure to inform you. Quick question - that's the only thing to be concerned about isn't it, because the PC's answers are not voiced, correct?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I voted no, cause I don't see the need. Killing all the undead at Emridy's Meadows isn't a quest, nor is killing that specific giant (though that might change). But if people want it to be a quest, I don't mind. :)
    Thats why you get a journal in KotB :D

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I think the pre-spawn should be a quest. It's definetly one of the more straight forward ones in the game...find orcs, kill same.

Some of that other crap was probably put in the logbook so the player would know that a chance to earn xp was even possible based on the dialogue. It was & still is mind numbing to play through much of it; the kind of thing that makes you feel dumber for having done it.

Grammar fairies...? We've got those, here? Damn! All this time, I thought they were brownies!

Attached Files:

10. rufnredde

@spike where do you find all these pictures LOL, is that from Willow? Some of these quests are pretty lame, perhaps if we replace them with better ones, we can make them go away.

@Ted, I originally didn't make it a quest for reasons very close to what you detailed, although the rainbow rock is attached to a quest,

and the blacksmith never really tells you it has to be that giant's head, and always acts suprised when you really do come back with the head. He was really just trying to get the party out of his courtyard as they were scaring away the real customers. Good job on fixing his inventory regardless:)

I had enough people ask me about it to warrant a poll, so I'll give the people what they want.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's right Ruf, the only part I deal in is what's being stated outright by NPCs. PCs don't speak their lines from NPC dialogue files, and the code stuff is all Greek to me. ;)

Now you guys are talking! I would dearly love to see the more absurd quests abolished. Permanently. :evil_laug

Sorry, I can't resist: we could award 10,000 XP for the quest and call it The Orc Cave Botheration or something. But as modder, you should really make the call on these things, Ruf. :icon_chuc (Just funnin', Cap'm.)

12. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Uhm, Gaear, yes they do. :D

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

You know what he means :p

Abolish the existing quests??? but I want to marry Meleny :love:

and Fruella :chainsaw:

The Bertram quest though... meh, I can go either way on that one. :eyebrow:

14. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I can't, off the top of my head, think of any existing quests that shouldn't really count as quests. I'm all for anything that involves an NPC saying "Go do this" or things that require use of skills (dialogue-based quests) to be something that awards a little bit of bonus XP if you complete it. It's not like the quest XP awards in ToEE are particularly massive.

15. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

I'm all for new low level quests, options other than Fed-Exing at the early stages of the game would probably be apreciated by almost all of the players.

I wouldn't remove any quests that aren't broken though. Yes it's painful to have to run from A to B to A to C to D to A when you've already done it 10 times. However if we have other choices we don't HAVE to do them. The more options / greater variety the better, espicialy for the first time players.

Cuchulainn.

Our Host!