secret door bug still and issue?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by HeJason, Oct 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I have made it to the temple and my party has not found one single secret door, and now I cant enter the secret room that has the golden orb in it. Is there a way to force all the secret doors to be revealed or is my game hosed?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sadly your game is probably hosed. The only thing you can try is repeatedly changing maps to see if they'll appear, but most likely they won't. Nothing we can do about it, sorry. :(

3. silo25

silo25 Established Member

which is also mentioned in the guide listed at the top banner, it happens to me about every 20 or so play through, i have noticed it happens more often if you wait a level or 2 to put ranks in search, never had it happen if i put skill points in search from the get go

4. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I started my game over. The only thing I did differently is, I did not hire Elmo to come with me. I found secret doors instantly. Maybe Elmo is an idiot. I have learned something. If you cant find the 1st secret door, start your game over.

5. silo25

silo25 Established Member

does not happen very often, the game is actually very robust at this point

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I've heard you have to delete your old saves too.

7. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

I got this often sadly,bugger knows why? Even with skill in Search.

So in order to do a game I need to:
    1. Locate Moathouse
    2. Kill froggies
    3. Save game
    4. Check eastside secret door on Moathouse-if not reload and keep trying or kill brigands and check there.
    5. No secret door(s) usually means game screwed.

Alternative cheat is to use 'levelup' command and try increase search to make sure?

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

When I can't see the hidden doors in the moat house I start over. It seems that if my game, (not save) doesn't let me see the doors I'm in for all kinds of trouble later on and it's just better to start clean right there.

At least the characters I rolled are there to select again and I'm yet to have the problem on back to back games.

9. Gaear

I think the issue stems from an initial failed spot check. It seems that the game erroneously says "never ever check for a secret door again" when that happens.

I know that when modding secret doors, you always have to start new games in order to test DCs and whatnot. That's a major PITA, and I suspect the same issue might be at the heart of it.

At this point the only solution I can see to this issue is to remove all secret doors and just not use the system, replacing the mechanic with ... something else, not sure what. Not having secret doors would be an gaming experience downer I suppose, but on the flip side it would save people a lot of heartache.

10. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Maybe you could add a secret door on the 1st map where you equip your characters and make it like you only need a roll of 2 or better to find it. If you cant find the secret door, then it wont let you proceed to teleport to your alignments opening encounter, thus, you have to start a new game immediately, ensuring you can find secret doors later in the game.

11. Gaear

That's a good idea except that I think the 'never check again' routine can start with any failure, which is why some players don't get it until later in the game, like in Falrinth's chamber.

12. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

In those cases I think you can manually search and find it, My game is like that now, any doors I dont auto find, I can manually search and they appear. When my game is hosed, manual searches dont work either.

13. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

Re: SD & 7.5NC.

I check the DC rolls and found they are set to '0' which means basically search is a useless skill,as near automatic success.

DC should be determined by party level-story level range and area of importance,ie Falrith as mentioned should be hard akin to Book of Heroes lock.

14. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Shining Ted introduced a new concentrated search mechanism, didn't he, for KOTB?
    What would be nice is a toggle in the TOEEFrontEnd to reveal all secret doors if necessary to rescue the situation if the bug arises, but perhaps if you could do that you could fix the bug 'properly' anyway?

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Yes Ted did set a custom search feature, but it only worked for the searches he engineered.

That search feature would not show you a standard hidden door unfortunately.

Our Host!