Scrolling Down

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BrotherSmythe, Mar 4, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

I've read the SRD on scroll usage and was curious as to how it differs from TOEE's mechanics. I'm using Co8 and Temple+.
    I understand about the difference between arcane and divine. Ability score prerequisite and spell fail, fine.
    Does TOEE use caster level check? I suspect not however I don't know. I am most interested if TOEE utilizes the restriction of being on the users class list. For example can my cleric scrawl out a scroll of flame strike, hand it off to my ranger of equal class level and expect that he can use it with a goodly chance of success? Rangers don't have flame strike on their class list for spells.
    Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I look to UMD instead? These are minutely technical questions but can be game breakers depending on how you roll with scrolls.

2. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

There seems to be no spell chance check or a lvl4 mage would NOT have no trouble using the dimensional chest scrolls from the Moathouse. For non-class spells (such as a Ranger using Flame Strike or Fireball) a check is made using your Use Magic Item skill(and that is a good reason to build up the skill)

BrotherSmythe likes this.
Our Host!