Scribing and Crafting Fixes

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Mar 8, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Re: Creating a Spell Spreadsheet

What was in that again? The overwritten items of yours up the thread were the orange cloaks of resistance, specifically (mainly because my file compare software got all confused by them). I thought I had integrated all your other changes aside from the new items that were introduced after the original run of cloaks of R.

Yeah, that would be great.

There's one instance where the 9229 proto is generated on the fly (Thrommel reward encounter), so I think we'll keep 9229 and toss 9200. It doesn't really make any difference as long as we account for all previously generated protos out there and make sure nothing points to the deleted proto. I already restocked the Shop Map and the Bazaar.

Sadly no. We're stuck with what already exists in ToEE - Arial 10 or Priory 12, pretty much.

~

Rudy, below are my current versions of item_creation, item_creation_names, and protos.tab.

Attached Files:

2. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

There were also all the other colors of other cloaks: Cloaks of Charisma, Mantles of Spell Resistance, Cape of the Mountebank, cloaks of elvenkind and cloaks of arachnida.

Additionally, my second update fixed the names so that the cloaks were sorted by color, instead of by bonus. If you still want it sorted by color I can fix that, too. (Note that your current files have it sorted by bonus)

Likely you already thought of this, but if you're going to do that, be sure to change the all the instances of 9200 in item_creation.mes to 9229, as well as in item_creation_names.mes. In particular, it looks like you didn't update the item creation requirements for it properly, in item_creation.mes (though you did change the id in the list of craftable items). If you wish, I'll fix that too.

Cool. If you wish you can also hand me description.mes and long_description.mes, I can put in all the stuff for all the new colors of cloaks mentioned above right now, and save you the trouble. I won't put in the custom items.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  3. Gaear

Sorry Rudy, here is everything current again.

I've since changed all parenthetical references to commas to be consistent ('Wand of magic Missiles, 1st'). Also changed ioun stone references to say ioun stone first and color second.

I've also updated the offending items with no unidentified description ID so that there are no descriptions in the crafting interface. Only there still are, for some. :no: Still looking into what wacky ToEE fluke might be behind that.

There probably are some other changes in there I've forgotten. If your files disagree with mine in some fundamental way, just send me your versions and I'll integrate them without unmaking your changes this time. (I mainly did that before because I only wanted to think about three things at the same time instead of nine. ;))

[ed.]

Okay, the item flag 'OIF_IS_MAGICAL' is required as well for the crafting interface to not display a long description. :eek:_O: Updated protos.tab is here.

Attached Files:

4. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

No worries.

What I just finished doing is taking the files that you gave me and adding the stuff to them for the 30 additional colored cloaks. Included in the zip is a text file detailing exactly what I added to where in which file. (Using a zip was easier than uploading 6 files separately).

As I note in that file, since you didn't say anything about the colors/bonus being first, I left it like I was in your files, with the bonus first. If you want that changed, I can do that, just let me know.

Finally, the only non-color-cloak thing I did is fix the item creation requirement for the scroll of grease that we are keeping (9229), changing it from SHold Portal to SGrease.

For any future change (such as the wands I'm about to start looking at), unless it is a huge one, it will probably just be easier to stick to the format of me detailing what should be changed where in a file/post for you.

Oh, and I saw that you changed the "Teal" to "Light Blue". Honestly I think teal is a better description of the standard cloak of resistance color, but I didn't want to presume to change it back. However, the reason I bring this up is that if you want to stick with light blue, you'll have to pick an abbreviation for light blue in item_creation_names.mes, since it's too long a name as it is. For this reason, it may be better to try and stick with one word color descriptions.

Attached Files:

5. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

So, this by no means accounts for all of them, but I think that a big reason a lot of these wands were removed from item_creation.mes is that technically, by PnP, you can't make wands of spells greater than 5th level. The majority of the wands that there are valid protos for, but that are not included in item_creation.mes, are of 5th level spells. So, it seems that someone created these wands, and someone else decided to stick with the PnP rules and not allow wands of 5th level spells.

Now, I'm not married to PnP, so I'm fine going either way: including these wands or not. Just let me know whether you want to stick with the PnP rules (that is, these wands should not be craftable), or include them anyway, and I'll tailor my list of changes accordingly.

6. Gaear

I think it's actually level 4 spells and under. By all means, we should stick with the RAW.

7. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Sorry, that's what I meant to say. Most of the wand ids are for wands of 5th level spells.

Anyway, roger on that.

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Here's the link to the relevant part of the SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#craftWand.

Yes, it is 4th level and lower. The confusion may have come in because the prerequisite for the feat is 5th level spell caster.

9. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Okay, well, with all said and done only a handful of the ids you listed earlier are functional wands that we want to implement. The details are in the attached file. :)

EDIT: Going forward from here, feel free to continue to let me know if there is something in particular you want me to look at (I think these wand fixes bring us up to what you've mentioned so far). I'll poke a bit at the Jarroo's white pearl thing now, but other than that I'll just poke at whatever until you ask me to do something more specific :)

Attached Files:

10. Gaear

The white pearl itself is a non-issue ... only the potential items for which Freedom of Movement could be a spell req (whatever {12658}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SFreedom of Movement"} was supposed to control) are still unclear.

Thanks for the stuff. :)

11. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I can't find any item that it might be intended to refer to that fits better than your original theory of the Vest of Escape. My working theory, though it is a bit of a stretch, is that someone had the same thought I did about the superpowered Vest of Escape: that it ought to require Freedom of Movement, and that the 12568 is somehow a result of their attempts to add the requirement.

Upon thinking upon it further, I don't recommend simply adding Freedom of Movement to the Vest of Escape, because the combination of Web, Grease and Freedom of Movement makes it impossible to craft except for a multiclassed character. However, I do recommend that you make the requirement caster level 7, which is the level at which some casters get Freedom of Movement. As it is, it uses the caster level 4 requirement of the original item, which *didn't* grant Freedom of Movement, and is thus severely overpowered, giving the ability to get Freedom of Movement 3 levels earlier than any other way.

Specifically, I recommend changing:

{6285}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SKnock" "SGrease" C4}

to

{6285}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SKnock" "SGrease" C7}

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Caster level 7 is also a requirement to forge a ring of freedom of movement.

13. Gaear

Okay, all 'To Gaear' fixes intergrated. Good stuff. :)

Regarding teal/blue, not to be nitpicky but teal is actually a greenish-hued color, whereas those cloaks are pretty clear sky-blue-ish. Also there's already a great deal of precedent with that color being called 'light blue' in ToEE, so if we switched to teal we would probably have to change all the others if we want to be consistent. (Not that this is a big deal, lol, but as they say, anything worth doing is worth doing properly/thoroughly.)

Anyway I understand about the truncation needs, but that's on the backburner for the time being anyway.

14. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I think we'll agree to disagree there. I understand the rest of your reasoning though, and it's an extremely minor point. Certainly not one worth arguing over :)

15. Gaear

On wands -

My bad, thanks.

I think everything should definitely be caster level, as I believe that's where the precedent is.

Agreed.

Okay, dumped this. It only showed up in one of SA's scripts as something to confiscate, so I just deleted it.

Done.

All gone. none appear anywhere; I'm sure they're just betas or what have you, as you say.

Yeah, we'll let them sit.

Okay, those can stay too.

~

Thanks Rudy. :thumbsup:

Our Host!