School Rings and Staves behaving badly

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Barles, May 30, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Barles

Barles Member

I'm having a couple of issues with the rings and staves in the game. In my first game using the ring of evocation, the fireballs it lets loose deal 10d6 dmg when equipped by my level 11 mage, and continued doing the same damage up to level 15, which is where I stopped playing him. On a second game, when equipped by a lvl 16 mage, the ring initially fired 1d6 dmg. fireballs. At lvl 18 now, it shoots 3d6 dmg. fireballs. In fact, in this second game. All of the rings are behaving similarly. Mirror images from the ring of Illusing last 10 rounds instead of the 100+ rounds in the 1st game. Glitterdust from the ring of creation is far more often saved against. The distance Dimesion Door from the ring of divination will let you teleport is much shorter.

The staff issue I *think* is limited to the staff of cold. When I initially buy or find one, at around lvl 11, the cone of cold from the staff does 15d6 damage. However, later on (noticed it at lvl 17) the cone of cold will deal 7d6 damage. This continues even if I switch staves. Any idea what's happening?

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

10d6 is the maximum damage a fireball can do regardless of your level.

SRD on Fireball Spell Click Here

The other issues I'll let one of the code masters that put them in answer your questions.

3. Shawee

Shawee Member

I have noticed the same thing but in my case it didn't seem to be level related. I used the ring of evocation for the Hextor fight in War of the Gold Skull. It did 10d6 when I used it at the first fight. It seemed to progressively become weaker by the time I got to the Druid defense. I was thinking it was more item charge related. BUT, I am probably wrong..shrug.

4. Barles

Barles Member

Oh yeah, the 10d6 fireball is fine. I mentioned it for comparison to how the ring worked in the second game.

5. Barles

Barles Member

@Shawee I didn't think it was charge related namely because swapping staves/rings doesn't fix the issue. If it were related to charges, you would expect that a new, say, ring of evocation would do the same damage you noticed initially. That doesn't happen though.

Our Host!