Salamanders and Giants and Gnolls (Oh My!)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kalshane, Nov 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Iwill try, but the Galeb Duhr may just be that way, since there is no occurence in of them in the game that isn't concealed. Earth Elemetals do appear in the game unconcealed though, so it may not work the same for them.

2. Cerulean the Blue

Yes, but there is a section in random_encouter.py where they all get reset to zero.

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Okay, so the big fire temple fight with the Salamanders? Kind of a letdown with by-the-book regular salamanders. I'm calling it a night now, but tomorrow I'm going to load up the alternate protos.tab and see how it goes with the nobles in there.

4. Kalshane

Tried the fight again with the Nobles. It was a little tougher than the original fight, but not terribly so. I think the Nobles are defintely the way to go for experienced players who know it's a fight to power-up for. It could be really nasty if someone wanted to program the Salamander AI to make use of the Nobles' Dispel Magic ability before they start dropping fireballs.

5. Kalshane

So far the Air Elementals in the Air Temple, and all 4 Elementals in Senshock's room don't seem to pull from the protos, as they have DR I didn't give them and/or were susceptible to critical hits.

That's it for things behaving different from the protos that I've noticed so far. Finished Temple level 2 and the "East" wing of Temple level 4 tonight.

6. Cerulean the Blue

I will add those to my list as well, Kalshane.

I'm having a bit of difficulty in the Broken Tower. The brigands are respawning correctly with their new inventories ( I ended up respawning all of them, since they all ran off of the same script). But then they would attack the wizard and the witches. I fixed that by respawning the wizard and witches as well (along with some ai_shitlist_remove magic). Now the problem is the zombies the witches animate.

Firstly, the Brigand Leader seems to have developed an absolute loathing for the undead. He will actually disengage from mêlée with my party, subject himself to multiple AoO, and run clear across the map to attack a zombie. Rarely the other brigands will attack a zombie, but usually they just ignore them, even if the zombie is attacking them.

Secondly, the zombies are total wild-cards. They attack whatever is closest to them, which is often the witch that animated them.

I have tried the ai_shitlist_remove, both just for the zombies and for everybody in the room. I have tried setting the reaction value for the zombies regarding the brigands, wizard and witches to 100, I have even tried to override the will_kos for the zombies as far as the bad guys are concerned. None of it worked.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Oh, as an interesting side note, removing things from the shitlist of the NPCs in the party provokes a verbal (and vocal if available) response from them. Also, the san_will_kos script for a given combatant fires on every combatants turn during the round.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hmmm, my spidey-sense is tingling... can u elaborate?

8. Cerulean the Blue

This is the code I was running, firing for the zombie:

Code:
    def san_will_kos( attachee, triggerer ):
    	if attachee.map == 5065 and attchee.name == 14619:
    		if ((attachee.obj_get_int(obj_f_secretdoor_dc) == 0)):
    		attachee.obj_set_int( obj_f_secretdoor_dc, 1 )
    		attachee.obj_set_int( obj_f_npc_faction, 7 )
    		for obj in game.obj_list_vicinity(attachee.location, OLC_NPC):
    			game.particles( 'Orb-Summon-Air-Elemental', attachee )
    			attachee.ai_shitlist_remove( obj )
    			[B]obj.ai_shitlist_remove( attachee )[/B]
    	return RUN_DEFAULT
    I'm almost certain it's the highlighted line that cause the NPC's in the party to react. Meleny said "Beory protect us!" several time, and a few other lines I can't recall at the moment. Pishella would chime in at the same time, albeit only in a text floater (since she doesn't have any voice files), Usually with "Surrender" but sometimes with other stuff. Even Fruella said a few things, though once again memory has failed me. With all three of them, it wasn't always the same line though.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Here you go, I added the Co8-4.0.1 changes to Kalshanes protos fixes (much thanks to Darmagon who renumberised both Kalshane's and my own 4.0.1 protos for easy file comparing).

Request, if you guys are adding addmesh's to the bugbears for the heat metal spell, could you use these protos.tab files as the base file to work on please?

[EDIT] re-uploaded corrected versions a few posts down.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

C-Blue: Thats a "non-combatant freaking out because it is dragged into combat" line, which I see a lot in testing. I dare say it is reacting as a non-combatant because san_start_combat etc doesn't fire for NPCs in the party.

Interesting effect.

Btw, ur code has a typo in it if it was a cut-n-paste: I would suggest it explains why it fired for every critter, not just the zombies.

"Brains... brains!!!"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

what about factions for the zombies and brigands?

12. Kalshane

Thanks for the updated files, Allyx. I'll use them for my continued tinkering.

The brigand leader having a severe hate-on for undead makes me laugh, but I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating for you, CB. Seems like I opened a major can of worms with wanting to fix creatures' inventories.

13. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

I've done a few updates on description.mes and long_description.mes, mostly fixing typos (Childs Toy -> Child's Toy, Ransuer -> Ranseur, etc.), standardising weapon names (for example, changing all "short swords" to "shortswords" etc.), and upper-casing the first letters of words (except for "and", "of", "the" and so on).

Is everyone okay with that?

Here are the modified files (Allyx' latest changes have been implemented) ...

Attached Files:

14. Kalshane

Fine by me. I went through and added long descriptions for a lot of stuff (though I will admit some of it has a touch of whimsy) but if you worked from the files Allyx posted, it shouldn't be a problem.

15. Cerulean the Blue

Thanks for pointing out the typo, but it wasn't in the original code. The script was only firing for the zombies (that's what the game.particles was in there for, so I could tell when it was firing). The highlighted line was removing the zombie from the NPC's shitlists, which apparently the game automatically then re-added, causing dragged into combat line. I will go back and test it again and see what other lines they say.

There is a line in the code that sets the zombies faction to the same value as the brigands faction.

EDIT: Apparently setting the zombies faction the way I did it wasn't working. I added the brigands faction to the proto for the zombie and problem solved. Whew! So simple, and yet it took me so long to figure it out. Thank you all for your help and patience.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
Our Host!