Salamanders and Giants and Gnolls (Oh My!)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kalshane, Nov 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Well, do your guys pull their equipment from their .mob or from the invensource.mes? If it's the former, there's nothing I can do about the armor unless/until a scripting solution is implemented. I can fix the skillpoints and feats, though.

2. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

Speaking of invensource.mes, Kalshane, could you please either PM me a copy of the one in which you have made all of the changes or post a zip of it here so I can start on testing? It need not be complete (as obviously it will not be) I just want a starting point to test the first heartbeat idea. THX.

Darmagon

3. Kalshane

Will do when I get home tonight. Air, generic, Fire or Greater Temple bugbears would probably be the best thing to test with. Generic bugbears probably being the easiest since they're closest to the beginning of the game. Do you want just the invensource.mes or do want the protos.tab too? The latter won't be necessary to test, I imagine, unless you want to see how they should work once I'm done. Thanks again for helping with this.

4. darmagon

Actually I would like both but since what I am concerned with should only be in your modified invensource.mes. that alone would be fine too. On the other hand you could send me both and I could send you back a "named" version of your protos. That way, when the "named" version gets the all safe. go ahead, from the community you will have it (I could also add the sober elmo to your protos) which might make some things easier down the road as well.

As I see it, your changes (as moderated by this fine group of modders) will be the single most important (though possibly subtle) change in the next CO8 release.. If you, along with everyone's help, can get this even close to right I think the game will have to suffer a quality makeover..... And I think that the next release we make should be put off until this gets done and gets done right.

Darmagon

5. Kalshane

I can send you both. I'm not sure if putting sober!Elmo in it would help, as I'll probably doing some work on the protos tonight (and over the weekend) so he'd have to be added to whatever updated protos I had. I'm only as far as the Greater Temple Bugbears (I'm using ToEEWB for me editing, so the protos entries are in alpha order instead of numeric and I started at the top) with my updates. I actually haven't done any "new" work the last couple days, as I've been trying to create a change log, so I've mostly just been double-checking my previous work (as I've learned a few things since I started this), comparing it to the most recent Co8 protos and recording what I've changed. I'm also looking at NPCs I'd ignored before because they belonged to another modder (see Biffer and Bouncer above) though not changing anything until I hear back from the owner (see above again). So if you just plug that protos into ToEE and play right now, you probably won't see much of a difference unless you know what to look for.

While I'm sending this (later), does anyone else want to take a look? Verify I'm not stringing you all along, or making everyone rangers, or making some obvious bone-headed mistakes?:paranoid:

6. Kalshane

Here's what I have done so far.

ETA: Here's the modified description.mes and long_description.mes as well. Just in case. I doubt these are going to change much/at all unless I come across something else really weird.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks Kalshane. And my guys are drawing their gear from Invensource.mes and are not .mobbed in because they don't show up right away, they get spawned by script if u get to that point (we can't spawn mobs in such a way though Allyx did figure out how to turn them on and off until the appropriate moment, which may be the only way anyway).

O and I agree that the next Co8 release is gonna be a biggy and we should get all this right :) In fact, I said as much to Allyx the other day.

8. Kalshane

Okay, cool. I'll tinker with their armor, then.

I've noticed the maruader and the gladiator armor don't really comply to the rules. They give really high max dex bonuses compared to their armor value, not to mention the skill adjustments despite being non-magical. I can slap them on your characters if you'd like, but the rule's lawyer in me is hesitant to introduce anything like that into the game (though I understand DH is an optional mod) in a way that the players can come by it "honestly."

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

@Kalshane - you can tinker with my armours if you want, make them more inline with the rules. the best way would be to make them less protective and lower or remove some of the bonuses. they shouldn't cut into the dex to much cos there isn't to much armour in them :shrug:

10. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

If I might weigh in on Cujo's armors, I think they shouldn't be touched, except for maybe the skill bonuses. The primary reason I use them is because they look better than any other light armor in the game (especially the hideous elven chain). Cujp gave us the option of better looking armor (especially for female characters), without having to take a big hit in AC. Eye candy is their primary function. My female rogue could wear a chain shirt (it is cheaper), but damn she looks much better in gladiator armor, and the AC is the same. Yeah, realistically it should have a much lower AC, but then this is a fantasy game, and the "because it looks good AC bonus" is a valid arguement. In reallity those shoulder flares on the elven chain would only serve to direct blows toward the neck of the wearer, thus proving to be a detriment. and lowering AC But I'm sure someone somewhere thought the looked good.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well being kinda pratical... the gladiator armour would probably be more effective than... well most of the armours that don't protect the arms, the reason for me saying this is most of the times I've been hit in kendo/other sword fighting is on the arms and not to of ten in the chest area, so if player one gets lots of little cuts to the arms they slowly bleed to death but player two needs a good shot to get into the chest and land a fatal blow.

that and boobies are distracting :blush:

12. Kalshane

I wasn't complaining about the amount of protection versus what you actually see on the character. I was talking about the Marauder armor, for example, granting +3 to AC and allowing a +8 Dex bonus, whereas Studded Leather grants +3 to AC and only allows a +5 Dex bonus as well as having a 5% spell failure chance versus Studded Leather's 15%. I suppose you could say it was made out of mithril, but in that case the cost should be higher and the max dex would only be +7.

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

increase the price and drop the max dex to 7 then. I wasn't sure on pricing stuff so you might have to change the pice on all the items I made (cos I just guessed)

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I second the price change idea, I visited Ah fong and was shocked to see masterwork gladiator armour is better than mythral chain and a third of the cost! The increased price should ballance those armours against hasbro approved armours.

15. darmagon

@ Kalshane sorry for not getting back to you right away but I had real life stuff to deal with (my kids came out for the weekend :)) Anyway there is not much point in my changing anything with regards to your protos.tab until: 1) you are done with it; or 2) we can coordinate it so I can make the changes and get it back to you before you make anymore of your changes. Since your work is not reliant on the "names" being defined I think it would be just as well to leave that change out until the end (along with the sober elmo thing.)

I have your posted updates and that will be enough to allow me to get started with the inventory scripting thing. THX

@Cerulean the blue:
    You mentioned that you could/ might be able to help with the inventory scripting thing. Maybe you could shoot me a pm and we could coordinate how we are going to go about this.

Also is anyone else interested in helping out with this? If so pm me and let me know.

If I can add my input on Cujo's armour.... I like them as they are. The game does not preclude stuff like this it just doesn't have specific rules for it. Maybe if we developed some kind of back story and increased the price to match the magical equivalent plus some (for being ultra masterwork or something) we could get away with it.

An entry in long_description.mes (does that automatically allow shift click?) would be necessary, I think.

Darmagon

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
Our Host!