Rules Oddities vs. ToEE Gameplay

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Spider Dwarf, Apr 29, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

My dwarven ranger, note that I said dwarven, just went up to 5th level at which time you get to select a favored enemy. Researching which favored enemy I was going to select (I normally choose giants) I noticed that dwarf was in the list of options. In checking the 3.0 Players Handbook I noticed, on page 45, that a character may only chose his own race if he is evil. Conversely, on page 47 of the 3.5 PHB this is not stated. I much more adhere to the ethics of 3.0 rules.

My ranger is a dwarf and is chaotic neutral. Yet I can choose dwarves as the favored enemy. To ensure a non-adherence to the 3.0 rules I chose the dwarf race as the favored enemy. I then finished the leveling up process and saved it as a temporary save. The point is, ToEE follows 3.5 Core Rules in this instance to the letter.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

There are not many dwarf enemies. Humans, undead or goblinoids would be better choices.

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

There are NO dwarf enemies that I can think of at all, until War of the Skull is reintegrated as an addon.

4. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I think he is just noting the rules violation in the game. I would bet this is allowed just because it was simpler to implement.

5. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

I agree, there are no dwarf enemies in the PCToEE. But as you adroitly pointed out, War of the Skull does. Along that same line I would gladly, and as quick as a double-triple haste spell would allow me, pay real world money to have add-ons to this game. I like the game engine that much.

Yes, I would have paid money for the extra areas now in play. That was one reason I made a donation-to-the-cause. I originally paid $50.00 USD for ToEE and it sat on the shelf for nearly six years only to find out it was flawed horribly. Who knew the game would die such a horrible, miserable death! It is only thru the efforts of those now at work, and those of the past, that this game is in existence today—and, I would also gladly make a donation again if I was assured that it would go to support this group and not a higher-in-the-food-chain person.

I would like to point out that my original posting was an instance where the 3.5 rules are in agreement with the ToEE game engine. A separate thread deals with the 20/50 charges for spelled items and how the items do not adhere to the letter of the law. It is far, far too common for PCRPGs to be, at times, loose in their adherence to game rules. Myself, I would much more prefer to play a game more along the lines of AD&D 1st or 2nd Edition.

The newer rules are far too complicated and, at least to my opinion, are better played by legal beagles. Such complicated and convoluted rules take away from the pure pleasure of turning skeletons into fertilizer in the pen and paper world. That is my main reason nowadays for playing computerized D&D games, the rules are hidden behind a graphical interface allowing for a more seemless experience of the phantasmal world.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

There is a dwarf in the random encounter party that provides all the +1 magic items long after you no longer even need the cash they bring. Note also he is usually the last to die. :evilgrin:

I've never got the War of the Golden Skull to work. I am looking forward to it.

If the game HAD been rules compliant with respect to favored enemy restrictions, I would have been flabbergasted. :yikes:

7. FreeTheSlaves

FreeTheSlaves Member

ToEE was released in 2003 with 3.5 rules.

Our Host!