Rollin'...Rollin'...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Spike, Oct 13, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

...Rollin' on the river...

As some of you know, I'm sure, I split from work about this time every year & take a break. Once again, we are headed for the Edisto to do a little recreational kayaking. This is the longest free-flowing black water river left in North America. I will be joined by several friends, and best of all, Spike the Younger will be there, home from the University. As far as D&D goes, I like to think of us as the Knight & the Knave of swords...

Lord Zorn will be joining us, and a couple of other guys who wouldn't understand the first thing about any of all this dungeon stuff. So, until we return...and if undevoured by "legateer" (this is the indian word for el legarto) I will see you Sunday, or perhaps Monday if I don't feel like consorting with any of you 'elitist' type personages.

Oh, yeah...this pic is where we'll be staying...I took it last year from the boat livery...the camp is on the bluff amongst the trees. And here's a link to the trail. We'll be doing a 14 mile stretch (+/-) from Just below Green Pond to Stokes Bridge...I think. I still have to scout it out:

http://www.sctrails.net/Trails/maps/EdistoRvr map.html

See you soon!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Bring 'em back alive, Spike. I hear Good Hope Landing can be treacherous!

While you're gone I'll try to exile a new victim . . . just for shits and giggles. Wish me luck! :evilgrin:

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

<best hill billy voice> ya'll come back now, ya here!

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

it's..

Yawl coom bak now hear!

smirk

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

al-ite = alright

yawl = you all

well doggy = isn't that just simply amazing

the list is too long to publish here

6. Lord_Spike

Close Encounter of the Reptile Kind...!

Ok, we wound up launching from the campsite, and went to Mars Oldfield landing...GPS had it at 16.1 miles. In the last mile (about 3/4 mile above the landing) we ran into a wild 'gator. This is a first for any of us in this circle. My friend Jake was in the lead; I was about 20 yards behind when there was the sound of running feet rapidly slapping wet sand, then a huge splash...Jake exclaimed Well, THERE'S an alligator! I never saw it, but knew what it was as soon as I heard it...it was simply too big a splash to be anything else. It was catching the afternoon sun on a sandy bank under the willows, waiting for night to fall, I'm sure. The others in our party never heard or saw it, 'cause they were about 100 yards back. Jake tells me it was about 6' long, which is not uncommon for this area. There are more 'gators on this river in SC than any other, so it was bound to happen. Gators this size eat turtles & snakes, and small mammals that get close to the water's edge. Nobody in our group could be considered a 'small' mammal, so none of us were too worried about that one. I'm also quite certain that many gators heve seen US before, even though us seeing one of them is a first.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I am glad Lord_Spike was with them. To elaborate on what Lord_Spike is referring to...in case you do not know this.

That is, precisely, why it is commonly understood by country folk and needs to be told to cityfolk who think, "Oh, let's feed the wild animals so they won't be hungary (and give us a warm and fuzzy feeling for feeding them)" to do NOT feed wild animals. And, when cityfolk, dumbly, ask with a look of stupidity and bewilderment on their face, "Why not?", it is explained to them that wild animals fear humans and causes wild animals to keep a safe distance from people where feeding wild meat eating animals removes their fear of humans and places people on the menu of wild carnivorous animals.

The first things to disappear when wild meat eating animals live around people are the birds, then the cats, then the dogs, and, if left untouched and remain around human residential areas, then small children.

8. Lord_Spike

What he said...I won't be paddling in Florida anytime soon...if ever! That National Geographic story of the landscaper getting grabbed by a 12 footer scares the bejesus out of me. If her neighbor hadn't called the cops, and they hadn't arrived quickly & unloaded on that SOB, she'da been D.R.T. (Dead Right There). Comes from people feeding them, and from them being relocated instead of killed afterwards.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

here in NZ you don't have to worry about the wild life, birds arn't very dangerous - we have one type of spider related to the black widow, the katipo (only found at the beach in sand dunes) also white tails (spider as well) from aussie and centipedes. its the weather here that'll kill ya, I've gone walking up a mountain and had to cross a little trickle of water on the way up, it started raining and on the way back it was a torent.

we play in the long grass, lift up logs and put your arms down holes, jump straight into rivers without thinking about it (look out for sunken logs) and probably live very short lives when we do that in other countries (aussie for example)

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I spent a lot of time growing up at my grandparents acreage, where I avoided the long grass (snakes), logs (snakes and spiders), holes (snakes) and the dam (it was just dirty). Still managed to have a lot of fun though.

Many deadly snakes were regularly sighted, and some bullants :p No crocs for many miles though.

11. Lord_Spike

If I know my SC history correctly...the Spaniards were here first, but left. Not on account of the alligators...but because of the fire ants. If your bullant is anything like this, you have my sympathy.

12. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

i extrerminated a diamond back yesterday (i am in missouri now) .

13. Lord_Spike

I hear they taste like chicken...if properly prepared. Doesn't a lot of stuff taste like chicken?

:yeaaa:

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Crocodile is really yummy, so is kangaroo. Huhu grubs are good aswell, fry em up - yum yum snackety snack

15. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

i dont know i did not eat it,just smashed it with a shovel. it had my step mom and a dog cornered in the dogs pen.

Our Host!