RFC on Release Plan...

Discussion in 'Negative Energy Plane' started by Nomad_Wanderer, Sep 26, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

What does everyone say about spending this weekend playing the game ^H^H^H^H^Htesting our fixes?

Was thinking along these Lines
    Planned "Close of Code" Friday Evening?

If you can get your files zipped and sent to me by Friday night I'll have a nice little combined zip waiting for us Sat. Morning.. (The guinness keg kicked this evening.. Can't get another until Monday, So might as well work friday night...)

Then we Spend Saturday/Sunday confirming what we think we fixed, *AS WELL AS MAKING SURE WE DIDN"T BUST ANYTHING NEW WHILE FIXING STUFF*. That would be bad (tm).

With a possible release back out to the non-modding community Sunday Morning/Sunday Night. (through the atari forum? Hosted from here?)

(hey if we do a good job we could even call this the "Call in Sick, it's that good patch"........)

Then again, Maybe not.

Leaves a couple of questions tho.

How do we want to handle the installation of our files? I was thinking of a simple Zip people unzip into their installation, but it sounds like we have sim WIN32 jockeys here... We may be able to craft our own installer/uninstaller... (that could be a v2.0 thing though :) )

Who's not doing anything?.. :) (BTW, What are you doing here if your not doing anything.. GO PLAY THE GAME!)

Seriously though, someOne has to start documenting Whats in(& who to blame when it don't work), and possibly what we all think may be in the horizon.. (just to keep 'em salivating... of course)

I guess I'll do it if no one else wants to... But I do remember some peeps saying they want to help, but can't code/modify files..

Btw, We should drop an easter egg or two, and not let Anyone know about it for a while.. :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  2. Mr. Underhill

Mr. Underhill The Keeper of the Arcane Toiletries

This seems agreeable to me...though I don't think I'll be able to add all that many quest fixes/additions to this realease. Perhaps in a week I can add in most of Hommlet but theres alot of work to do. If there is one specific fix that needs to be done right away let me know. I'm not really all that far into the game so I really don't know whats broken but that certainly dosn't mean I can't fix it. Maby we can add in one or two for this realease and by next week or so I can have a much more complete fix. Let me know what you think and so I can focus on more or two specifc fixes for tomorrow.
    -thanks

3. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

I'll release some of the spell fixes I made once I finish testing them (which should be today). Sadly, no update on the Magic Weapon thing. If any of you have the time, try giving that spell a whirl and see if you can fix it. I'm pretty new to this coding business.

(talent lies with graphics and websites :)

4. Nomad_Wanderer

Make sure you send me your stuff to, that way your stuff won't get lost when they install the community patch.

Though the #1 thing is to not rush this the worst thing you want to do is patch the game and break something else.

Remember this little gem... "Software isn't released. It's allowed to escape." :)

5. PlatinumWeaver

PlatinumWeaver Member

I'm sorry, it was me that was looking at the big bug thread and trying to pin everything to different projects. I ran into problems because it's not immediately obvious where the error may lie.. say for example there's a problem when you create a wonderous item, the stats are messed up.. is that a problem with the Feat that allows you to create it, or is it a problem with a prefabricated weapon that's got the wrong values listed?

So I went digging into the various files and kind of got lost in all the numbers.. I'll take a more structured approach to it later...

6. Vaevictis666

Vaevictis666 Established Member

That sounds like a good plan Nomad - if there's no structured playing time I tend to code into the wee hours of the morning (up til 2am last night) :0

It's all good though :)

7. Nomad_Wanderer

Is this what we want to call it?

("Community Beta Patch 1")?

(It's beta because we start playing/testing the alpha on saturday morning.....)

8. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

I'm thinking of something with more zest in it, with some "ooomph!"

Kind of like the "Fusion Assault Pack" for Counter-Strike.

What could we come up with?

9. Vaevictis666

Vaevictis666 Established Member

Sounds good to me :) Go :beta:

10. Nomad_Wanderer

How about the
    "GOYA_ATARI_TFFMAPCYTSL patch"

Get
    Off
    Your
    Arse
    ATARI
    The
    Freaking
    Fans
    Made
    A
    Patch
    Cause
    You
    Took
    So
    Long

Well Maybe "Community Beta Patch 1"
    is better than that.

Something with acronyms (especially double meaning ones would be neat tho)

I don't really care what we call it... Other than "Bob".. Patches have to at least be named after women...(Like Hurricanes.)

11. Mr. Underhill

Mr. Underhill The Keeper of the Arcane Toiletries

Community Beta Patch v1 sounds fine to me.

though I do like GOYA_ATARI_TFFMAPCYTSL patch.. ;)

Off topic...
    Heh quick question...how does everyone feel about the Paladin falling for participating in the drinking contest...it's easy to remove that...I've tested it...but I really don't care either way. maby it could be an option I know alot of people don't agree with it but alot do...so I don't know...but it can be done.

12. Nomad_Wanderer

Since most will probably see this on a monday...

I'm still open to calling it the "Call in Sick now, it's that good" patch........)

j/k of course...

I hear ya on the oomph, but Do you have any ideas?

13. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

I own a copy of Installshield Pro. :)

It'd take about 20-30 minutes to wrap this up into an installer.

14. Nomad_Wanderer

I don't really care about paladins that much so don't matter to me.. There were a couple of knowledgeable peeps in my D&D question thread, you could ask them...They might be part-time Rules lawyers too.. :)

Wow. Lack of Guinness isn' t doing goodthings for me.

15. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

Heh.. me too.

I told my boss I was telecommuting to work today (I'm the Exchange Admin, as well as Sr. System Engineer), and I think I'm going to do it tomorrow, too.

I spent most of my day, locked in my office -- wife thinking I was working -- hacking away at ToEE... heh.

Nomad's schedule sounds good to me.

Our Host!