Reward from Prince T rescue oddity

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by FDR4PREZ, Oct 5, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

At some point I rescued the prince from the lower levels of the Temple.

Now many moons later he tracks me down as I was traveling around outside somewhere.

As I approach he engages in the conversation and offers his thanks and rewards for saving him. 2000 plat, a +1 ring, and some other trivial item. Then he promptly disappears. Nothing abnormal about that, yeah?

Then I thought to myself, "hey, Scather would be really nice to have." So I reloaded and travelled around again until he "tracked me down" again.

This time before the conversation starts, I bombard his party with a fireball and other nice things like that. I guess they didn't like that because they all started attacking me. :punch:

After they are all dead, I loot him taking everything from his body. I close the inventory window and shortly thereafter suddenly the Prince jumps up, smiles and says thank you for his rescue. Gives me the same reward as before and disappears, along with all his dead fellows.

Shouldn't there be a trigger that if he is killed before that conversation, that he shouldn't jump up from the ground and start the conversation and offer the reward anyway? I just killed the guy and he still wants to give me his thanks and reward from beyond the grave that I put him in.

Is that odd, or can this not be fixed?

2. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

So much for the "gratitude is the most fleeting human emotion" theory, eh? :p

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Didn't give you Fragarach?

4. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

Nope, not that I could find in my inventory.

I will double check tonight or tomorrow night, but I don't remember seeing it when I was IDing everybodies items.

If I have to reload to redo that encounter again, then I will have to do the Water Node again, but that was pretty easy.

Right now, I only have the Fire Node and then the final encounter, then I am all done, so even if I don't go back to that encounter, then I don't think I will be missing much.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

uhm - If and when you get Fragarach [or Scather], do not equip and use Fragarach [or Scather] in the Fire Temple or the Fire Node. Fragarach [and Scather] both have AoO issues when equipped in those two places...good hunting.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

you should never have fragarach while thrommel lives - the reward sword is scather a 'lesser copy' of the oringal sword of answering

7. Half Knight

Whoops, my mistake, i meaned Scather (i never remember which is which)

...question aside, why did you change ite from a greatsword to a bastard sword?

8. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

Scather has always been a bastard sword.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

no - apparently it was a greatsword in vanillia ToEE (I never found it so fucked if I know for sure) but in real dnd it happens to be a longsword. I assume that trokia did what they did to make it so people couldn't dual weild fragarach and scather if for some reason they got them both. I would also assume that we changed it to a bastard sword for similar reasons while trying to make the weapon more inline with what it should be.

10. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

Huh. I didn't know that. :notworthy

11. Half Knight

Well, i did find it in vanilla ToEE (pretty easy and soon in the game in fact) and managed to have Fragarach, and as a player that try to take every advantage and have the best of every character, yes, i've thinked in dual wielding...but finally got more happy with a gretsword, as my fighter always is especialized in greatswords, and my cleric was a bastard sword wielding...finally i'd think it was too much of cheating, too much power...

of course, didn't know that the sword it existed in real rpg ...

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

from our D&D Historian and Keeper of Archives, Lord_Spike

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Kap'n...thanks for editing that. :hug:

14. Half Knight

"Broadswords of Answering."

What's that? What abilities do they have?
    I love old weapons (i think it's one the few thing that i like of 2ºEd), it takes completely by surprise my players! :biggergri

15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

to add to the confusion...

In modern usage, "broadsword" inappropriately refers to a category of swords, specifically those whose blade geometry is designed for cutting and slashing attacks, as opposed to the fencing weapons and their emphasis on thrusts and stabs. This began after the advent of the slimmer-bladed rapier, smallsword and épée during the Renaissance, and was picked up by museum curators during the 19th century as a catch-all for all slashing swords, including the Medieval arming sword, longsword and greatsword.

The arming sword (also sometimes called a knight's or knightly sword) is the single handed cruciform sword of the High Middle Ages, in common use between ca. 1000 and 1350, possibly remaining in rare use into 16th century. Arming swords correspond to Oakeshott types XI, XII, XIII, and XIIIa and are generally considered to be descendant from the migration period or Viking swords. A combination of the Oakeshott and Peterson Typologies shows a chronological progression from the Viking sword to the "transitional sword", which incorporated elements of both Viking and arming swords. The "transitional sword" continued to evolve into to the presently defined arming sword. Arming swords were normally forged using the pattern welding "braiding" method normally used during the time period, making them excellent weapons.

Typically used with a shield or buckler, the arming sword was the standard military sword of the knight (merely called a "war sword", an ambiguous title given to many types of swords carried for battle) until technological changes led to the rise of the longsword in the late 13th century.

The Longsword is a type of European sword used during the late medieval and Renaissance periods, approximately 1350 to 1550 (with early and late use reaching into the 13th and 17th centuries, respectively). Longswords have lengthy cruciform hilts with grips over some 15 cm in length (providing room for two hands), straight double-edged blades often over 90 cm in length, and weigh typically between 1200 and 1400 g, with light specimens just below 1 kg, and heavy specimens just above 2 kg.

The longsword is commonly held in combat with both hands, though some may be used single-handed. Longswords are used for striking, cutting, and thrusting. The specific offensive purpose of an individual longsword is derived from its physical shape. All parts of the sword are used for offensive purposes, including the pommel and crossguard.

Contemporary terminology includes the Dutch grootzwaard, German Langschwert, Italian spadone or spada longa (lunga) and Portuguese montante. The French espée bastarde references the bastard sword, a type of longsword. The terms "hand-and-a-half sword", "greatsword", and "bastard sword" are used colloquially to refer to longswords in general.

Our Host!