Relationship Rant Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaear, Dec 22, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Well. I didn't know that.

2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

LOL :aaaa:

Btw, what's a nottie? I missed that :confused:

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay thanks, I get it now. If I may be allowed some freedom to extrapolate, ahem ... I would say what you do in that situation would be ultimately irrelevant, because if you sacrifice yourself and 'save' her, she'll probably recover unexpectedly from the terminal illness and dump you, the supposed 'love of her life,' for the guy who works down the street at the gas station, the day after you walk her out of the hospital and she's got her new lease on life. Probably because "you remind me of the bad times, and I have to move on, and the moment I layed eyes on Al down at the gas station I knew he was the real love of my life. Sorry, but we can still be friends for the two week waiting period." Ha-ha.

Seriously, something very similar to that happened to me in my last go-round (minus the personal dying melodrama).

No, that's the lose, because you spend all your time embroiled in that agony over and over again instead of focusing on mundane daily tasks ... like fixing the bugs in the latest modpack like I should be doing right now instead of posting here. ;)

Clarified again, thanks. :) I agree for the most part, but the roles do get reversed from time to time. Sometimes in a big way, particularly for guys who are 'nice guys.'

We keep using this 'love of your life' phrase ... what exactly is that? Is it the love of your life, specifically, or the love of both of your lives? If it's limited to the former, you're probably in for a big disappointment by taking any kind of leap of faith for him/her.

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Someone who thinks they're unattractive.

They're far better in relationships than women who think they're beautiful.

EDIT: Is anyone getting confused, yet? :scratchhe

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. Gaear

Actually scryler said that's not what it is. It's someone "who would not run off to Gaear's with GA82." (sic) ;)

Also, I think I get the rollercoaster euphemism! You've gotta watch this girl, she's clever and subtle. :eyebrow:

[edit]

Wow, this thread has really taken off. Bunches of posts in the last hour alone. Must be a winner.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. Scryler

That's too bad. Really.

If it starts interfering with your sleep, try building a mental castle.

Hopefully, it will be for both. But when you feel like it is the 'love of your life' I don't think you really have a choice. You're already a goner. But if the other person doesn't also feel it, then you're better off getting out and getting on with the agony part until you can start living again.

7. GuardianAngel82

Just texted C to get kissed for me. :p

A's asleep in the other room. Playing ToEE wouldn't wake her up. But it might wake the squawky girls, which would be great, but we'd all get in trouble. Self-control is a BITCH. :bored:

Got to stick past 12, then I can sneak home.

8. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Whew, the smart girl again, thanks god.
    It pretty much explains it perfectly. :yes:

9. Gaear

Hm?

Meh. Seriously, isn't it better to never go down this road? People can be perfectly happy never aspiring to greatness. It's like risking your life to swim some great distance just because it would be kind of fulfilling to do it. But you might die too. I don't really buy it. :shrug:

Interesting input nonetheless.

10. GuardianAngel82

Greatness is like winning. The definition varies from person to person. But then so is happiness. You can simply be happy no matter what. Simply strive for what's important to you. Let someone else decide that you are great. I've been on TV, radio and on the front page of the paper, not to mention studies, magazines and documentaries. But that because I'm unusual, not because I'm great. Great is when we manage to be there for someone who needs help.

On the other thing...are you saying you've never been struck by the appearance of someone who is so arresting you can't look away? Then she looks at you and smiles, because she knows she owns your ass... :dizzy:

Lucky Bastard! ;)

11. Gaear

Hate to be a party-pooper, but I describe that as marginally above ordinary. I have been there for a lot of people who needed help across a fairly broad spectrum of experiences over the years, and in the end I suspect that none of it has really meant much of anything. If you're describing your GA activities, then yeah, I can see that because you may be literally saving their lives. But I've been in those too and it's not like the people you help become your friends for life. (At least not for me.) Normally you get a brief but rigorous thank you and never see or hear from them again.

Yeah ... once or twice at the topless bar. But I'm suspicious of the authenticity of those moments ... probably has something to do with the $20 I've just given them. ;)

You are quite clearly a hopeless romantic, GA. (Actually HK and scryler too; but Emirkol seems to be on the fence, thank god. ;)) I have no real desire to shatter your dream - if it works for you, then more power to you. :)

12. Scryler

Once, in the supermarket, I came around from one aisle into another, pushing my grocery cart, my mind on what I was going to get for the week's groceries. I looked up. There was a guy standing there, and he literally took my breath away. I nearly fainted. I'm not kidding. For a second, my grocery cart was the only thing holding me up. I walked past him, pushing my cart, really in a kind of panic, and around into the next aisle. Then I decided to go back. He was gone.

I have always regretted that I kept on going past that man that day. I wish I had stopped, talked to him, done something.

13. Gaear

Couldn't you have looked for him in the rest of the grocery store?

Better that you never found out; he surely would have disappointed you in some way if you had talked to him. Now at least he can live on in your memory as the perfect guy. ;)

14. GuardianAngel82

That is EXACTLY what we get, too. The poor people we pull out of paralyzing fear or a beating, or worse, are usually too scared or too much in shock to give us much thanks, or even remember us. Our new guys are often surprised by that.

Honestly, most of us don't give it much thought, either. Occasionally, a cop or someone else in the know will stop and give us some love, often with some criticism. But its not the recognition you get that makes you great, it's what you've done.

And I said YOU, Gaear. If it's so useless and stupid, why don't you stop? :gotmyatte

15. GuardianAngel82

Next time, faint. What do you think it's for?

If you can't manage that, look at him until he looks at you, then smile. If he doesn't take the cue, act like you know him..."Hi! I haven't seen you in a long time..." Keep it going, ask him if he'd like to go get coffee.

If he doesn't look at you, ask him to get something his cart is blocking. Or run into his cart with yours. Or ask about something in his basket. Be a pest. You're a women. You guys are in charge. Take what you want. If there's nothing, there's nothing to mess up.

If you're not sure of yourself, practice. Make eye contact and smile at some likely guy. If you know them and already like them, do it everytime you see them. They'll never know what hit them. Plus, all the smiling will just naturally miake you feel better.

Gaear's right, Mr. Wonderful probably wouldn't have been so wonderful. Since you were lovestruck, you would have let bad things go for too long. But it IS fun to imagine. ;)

Our Host!