Relationship Rant Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaear, Dec 22, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. kio11

kio11 Established Member

considering knighthood being invented much before france itself, im guessing thats not the location of origin

2. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Well, that is because the lady is usually married to some noble.

But, if the Knight manages to win her heart AND they manage to cheat her husband, anything is possible, just hard.

To Kio11. Thanks for the portrait, but it is not my style :p

[EDIT] And yes, they say it originated in France. That is, books describing it did.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Yes. Knighthood, and nobility itself, are far older than France. But the romantic notion of Courtly Love was a literary invention of, I'm guessing, the 1600's. MUCH more recent. It doesn't have anything to do with any real world behavior, except as an ideal.

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I looked it up. It is from France about the time of Richard I. It was in literarature in the late 19th century. So it was NOT a literary invention, as I wrongly said. But, considering the actual behavior of the "nobility" in the 11th century, it was definitely more of an ideal than reality.

5. kio11

kio11 Established Member

actually against the general belief the french word "chavalier" doesnt originate from equus cabalus but from the persian word işvara, which meant the noble man on horse. before middle ages persians were superior in horse riding and have progressed all over around the black sea. as the sarmatians who lived in this climate fell under roman rule, they have been sent to britian and germany alongside roman-saxons and have carried many lore and traditions with themselves. it was also sarmatians who carried the literature of magi, mages, and the familiar celtic lore about druids made it almost impossible to seperate the two. it would actually be more accurate to say that french learned knighthood from english, against the common way that the classic british literaturers believed. if you read le morte de arthur you will realise that thomas mallory speaks about some french texts and says that theres an even older tradition before the french texts. today its almost impossible to seperate these things as, for example, its impossible to seperate french and italian literature. in such cases history comes into our help, in which the myths are seen as a part of sociology and a part of historical development.

wow if i wrote this in my general education program class id be the assistant by now.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Ah, courtly love. Sometimes I wish that I was brought up on shitty Hollywood flicks and never learned about it. Instead I was blessed with intelligent parents who encouraged me to read good books and educate myself in the ways of classical culture. Now I'm well-educated but find the attitude that apparently "gets you the girls" absolutely repugnant. Maybe I should have been born a century or two ago when people seemed to still gave a damn about good manners and the ability to talk coherently when seeking a partner rather than the absolute opposite of that stereotype today.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

So Sergio, with courtly love, you're basically trying to steal women away from their men?!? I didn't have you pegged as the sort. ;)

That's a dangerous attitude to have these days. Pretty much nobody plays by any set of rules anymore, so if you impose that upon yourself, about the only thing you're liable to be left with is your dignity. If that's not enough and if you're unwilling to soften your principles, you're better off staying out of the game. Only mercenaries survive.

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

My only rules are integrity and a good sense of humor. The rule of modern society is the lack of both. It may be youthful hotheadedness speaking, but people who think that's fine can go fuck themselves (no offense to anyone specifically). If someone does not appreciate being straightforward and frank, then I don't appreciate them, that's all there is to it. I may be unable to survive, but I'll sure as hell go out with a bang. I know we're a dying breed, but at least we aren't extinct, yet.

PS: I may be feeling a bit bitter atm given the recent events, but that's how I tend to feel about life and society most of the time.

That's how "love" works in general, no?

9. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

And who said I am practising courtly love, eh? I do not (although I do compose rhymes.)
    I am just aware of it and ready to thwart any attempts to victimize me in that way!
    Also I do not understand why some steal partners from others while there are many fine free people.

10. kio11

kio11 Established Member

"society" as a whole tend to radiate an air of cheapness. but that doesnt mean people one by one individually arent worth overlooking all the rest. its all about finding. find the true person. find the girl thats worth looking for all over the universe. search and you shall find.

man youre seducing girls with military dirks. thats like the peak point in courtly loving process :chick:

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Don't forget his cucumbers. They are sexeh! ;)

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

True. The problem is the herd mentality; for some the "public face" is an upgrade from their miserable self, for others it's a gross underestimation. Finding the diamonds in shit is the challenge. And shoveling shit is always, always unpleasant.

13. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

OK, you've got me! No woman can stand against my cucumber-ish art of seducing! Yay!

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ That sounds so wrong on so many levels.

15. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Be grateful that I did not comment on the other type of seducing I am The Master of :D

Our Host!