reduced encumberance mod

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by makeshiftwings, Oct 15, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings Member

Hi, this is a quick mod to the protos.tab file that I made for myself that I thought others might find useful. All it does is cuts the weight of all items in half, so that your characters aren't constantly encumbered all the time. It uses the latest Co8 1.1.0 patched protos.tab, meaning that you should install that first, and then overwrite the protos.tab file with this one.

http://home.comcast.net/~tcarroll777/protos.txt

Rename it to protos.tab when you put it in your C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\rules directory.

-tom

2. JHunz

JHunz Member

3. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings Member

Thanks, JHunz! :)

4. philgarrad

philgarrad Member

Why would you want to reduce the encumberance, I assume that the encumberance rules are iaw 3e rules.

If mods are going to be made that are not iaw 3e then they ought to be titled as such, ie CHEATS

5. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings Member

uhh.. if "Reduced Encumberance Mod" isn't descriptive enough for you to figure out what it does, feel free to call it "Reduced Encumberance Cheat" :roll:

But as to why I made it:

1) TOEE doesn't implement the encumberance rules correctly. Armor penalties and encumberance penalties aren't supposed to stack, but in TOEE they do. So if you're wearing full plate and don't have ridiculous strength you get hit with both the reduced movement for plate and the reduced movement for weight, as well as the dex skill penalty for plate and the dex skill penalty for weight. Also, in the PHB, it describes armor as including a helm, gloves, and padded clothing underneath, whereas TOEE adds about 10 lbs of weight if you put these on, even though they have no gameplay function.

2) The Player's Handbook states (not a direct quote) "If your character is running around with his normal gear, the encumberance rules shouldn't be used. Encumberance should be used when the character is carrying something particularly heavy, like a large bag of treasure, or trying to drag a treasure chest". No DM I've ever played with was anal enough to add up the weights of the character's shoes, shirt, pants, cloak, etc. using the weights listed in the book. These weights are really unreasonable for things being worn, because the weight is being distributed about the body, so clothing doesn't slow you down at all. I don't think the PHB weights for items like that were designed to be used so strictly.

3) It's a mod. You don't have to download it if you're worried it will turn you into a l33t hax0r cheater taking advantage of all the game-breaking benefits of the ability to wear armor AND shoes at the same time... :shock:

6. Trelad

Trelad Member

Do you plan to update this mod for the new patch?

Our Host!