Reach vs Reach-Reach weapons

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by EdCon, May 8, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. EdCon

EdCon Member

Been doing some experimenting, and I noticed that some melee weapons have greater range than others, beyond just the "two handed weapons can strike second row targets". A good example of this in the AI is the fight right before the pretty boy in the drainage ditch dwelling (not sure of spoilers), and their lovely spears of pokiness.

Does anyone know which weapons have the longest range? I'm thinking long spear + enlarge person would give the longest range, but I'm curious what some of the experienced players' experience has been. Are glaives or halberds equal in range? Or is something better?

Considering doing a glaive-cleave party, with a lot of "combat reflexes, cleave, great cleave" fun.

-EdCon

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Ranseurs are all win for reach and damage. If you have 2 straight fighters enlarged with ranseurs, there is nothing in the game currently that poses a threat.

And there's a nice ranseur in the temple ;)

3. Quint

Quint Member

I believe that Ranseurs, Glaives and Long Spears are the only weapons in the game that have reach. Possibly Halberds too. Glaives do slightly more damage (1-10) vs Ranseurs (2-8) and Long Spears (1-8).

The larger the character is, the further his reach. Large size gets a 10ft reach, 15ft with a reach weapon. I'm not sure if the game models this for larger sizes beyond this.

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ You're forgetting the Spike Chain. Halberds don't have reach.

5. EdCon

EdCon Member

The reason I ask is that the ingame help has contraditory information:

with 5.8.0NC, the "help" menu (ex. help for feats) shows:

guisarme, ranseur, glaive, spiked chain, and long spear

the "left click for more information in inventory" help shows:

guisarme, ranseur, glaive, spiked chain, and halberd.

Is one or the other correct? Also, is one or the other more likely to be up to date (or more up to date) with regards to the latest NC version of the co8 mod?

Also, with dwarven war axes, are the only situations you would need an exotic weapon proficiency to wield without penalties be if you are halfing or gnome (small non-dwarf) wielding one handed? Because that's what the help seems to say (ie. martial if dwarf, martial if medium sized).

Many thanks for the clarifications :)

-EdCon

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Again, halberd isn't reach in 3.5 RAW neither is it in toeecrpg. Been discussed (somewhere) before. Longspear IS obviously reach.

Not sure about the Dwarven Axe... Isn't it same deal as with Basterd Sword?

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, thats my understanding: you can use it as a 2-handed martial weapon (ie as any other 2-handed axe) or 1-handed with the feat, which Dwarves get obviously.

Our Host!