Random Encounters

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by UniversalWolf, Sep 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

Great job with the modding, fellows.

I'm wondering whether it is possible to make random wilderness encounters that are actual story scenarios rather than just wandering monsters that attack you. I still play Fallout from time to time, and it's a similar game, so I'll draw on that for examples. Travelling in Fallout's wasteland you might meet a wandering merchant caravan, or a group of farmers or prospectors, or a patrol from a nearby settlement. Some of the random wilderness encounters are quite elaborate, which gives the game world a lot of life and flavor. Is the ToEE engine able to support encounters like this, or are we stuck with nothing but hostile monsters that attack on sight?

Thanks.

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Not all random encounters are hostile.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

We could script those, yes. There are a very few already in there.

4. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

Oh great. I guess I missed the non-hostile encounters, but I've only played through once so far, and my approach was pretty bellicose. Now that I think about it, I did run into that one that alludes to the old Ultima games...

If I get some time to contribute modding, it'll be in the area of adding interesting random encounters.

Now I wish my party could just wander around the map looking for stuff instead of going straight from point A to point B...

Is there any particular impediment to making an NPC who might pop up in any of several different locations? I'm thinking of a traveller you might meet on the road, or in Nulb, or in Hommlet or Verbobonc because he never stays in one place.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I hate that chick on the road. EXTERMINATE! :zap:

We have an NPC you can meet on the road who, if you don't ask him to join you, will turn up elsewhere. There's no impediment to such things, but NPCs have standard dialogue trees, and if they are turning up in several different places they need several seperate dialogues to reflect that. Complicated and bug-prone, but not impossible by any means.

I have to say, its the sort of thing folks should create for themselves, rather than wait for us ;)

6. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

Oh absolutely, absolutely!

I mean, who can do it better than me anyway, right? I created the Daleks.

:mrhappy:

Our Host!