Random Encounters & Lotus

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by PharaunMizzrym, Aug 14, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

Nope it's not just you. I wandered all over for about an hour just to see if I got the swamp. As you can guess, I didn't. :(

2. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

Did Liv create this quest and add it in? Or was it already there and she just fixed it, or re-added it or whatever?

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its all Liv's.

In principle, it is a very good idea for a quest.

4. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

Thanks Ted. I just assumed it was already in the game. I will retract my statements above and go 100% (ok more like 99% ;) )with what Cerulean the Blue is doing. Taking her actual work and changing it without asking, probably isn't a good thing.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

When worse comes to worst and you are about to start cussing at your computer, just open the console and type GIVE 12900 and press <enter>. Swamp Lotus has the same icon as Hemlock. Also, when you complete the quest to Cure Amii, you can talk (be persistent) with Amii's father, the woodcutter, and he will offer to allow you to make purchases from a private merchant he knows from whom you can buy things like Dragonhide Plate armor and other miscellaneous magic items.

6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I'm glad you like the new maps. They were there all the time, but for some reason the game never used them. There are actually eight random encounter maps, but for some reason the game only uses three (or two - before Liv's mod I had never seen the swamp map she used), and for the most part only uses one, the river road. Even when going cross country I almost always got the the river road map. As it turns out that is the default map in random_encounter.py, the map it uses when the terrain checks prove false. I think the terrain check function looks to the terrain.bmp I found in ToEE4.dat, but the function seems to be broken. I will play around with it and see what I can do. If people like more variation it the maps (and who wouldn't) I could just make the map random.
    Rember, I made it more likely, not a sure thing, though in my tests it always took less than 20 random encounters to get the swamp. There are actually two swamp random encounter maps, and Liv only put the Lotus in one of them, but I fixed it so that if the quest is active, you can only get the map with the Lotus.
    Maybe you stopped to cool off in the river, or wash up?

7. Cerulean the Blue

Thanks. I feel kind of weird about changing Liv's work She is someone I respect and admire, and this quest was probably working just the way she wanted it to. She probably wouldn't have given in to the popular oppinion and changed it. I hope if and when she comes back she won't be upset.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

If you get the swamp map, will the swamp lotus be on a monster you kill or will it be hidden underneath the swamp water and you have to search for it? Or, do you just keep hoping you'll get the swamp map with a monster that has the swamp lotus? Having said that, I got a swamp map and the plant was not on the body of the monster.

9. Cerulean the Blue

Several posts back I mentioned the general location and the exact coordinates of the lotus on the map. Once you are on the map it's really not that hard to find if you LOOK for it. However, it's only there if the quest is active.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I like the idea of using all the wilderness maps - but seriously, could we ditch the river road one? I'm with Ted, it's silly.

Figures it somehow got to be the default.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Yes its gotten so boring and its hard to loot bodies that are unseen, and its always crayfish and pirates with the occational lizard man or undead gnoll.

12. Shiningted

Hmmm.... well I guess I will keep play-testing. But at this point I am going to be critical:

Person gets told to get a flower called 'swamp lotus'.

Person heads off to the moathouse, searches the swampy outside of the map, finds nothing.

Person heads back later after clearing the moathouse, looks again, finds nothing (cause it is not there).

Person is now effectively finished with the Moathouse, and has not encountered it in any of the trips back and forth, because it is a rare encounter and they have only made a couple trips (did the moathouse dungeon in one big adventure, resting in the tower when necessary).

Person thinks, maybe its in Nulb, thats built on a swamp. Heads off there, searches everywhere, finds nothing.

Person heads off to the Imeryd's Run, also a swamp, searches, finds nothing.

At this point, if they have not been reading here at Co8 and don't know exactly what they should be doing (ie if they don't know a spoiler, which sort of defeats the purpose) they will probably give up on it.

I am not bagging Liv, because I know how ornery this game can be and if she had the encounter when needed no problems, well I believe her and there isn't much more she can do but get it working on her own computer, she can't test for everything. And of course thanks to Cerulean for doing something about it. I am just having a whine, this situation sux. I dare say I will find it now Cerulean has fiddled with it, but obviously I am not going to get any satisfaction out of it. -_-

13. Cerulean the Blue

I'm with you on this Ted. If I hadn't gotten lucky and found it on my third trip to the Moathouse my first time through Liv's mod, I probably be saying wtf like so many other people. Of course, that game the woodcutter never did hear back from his relative, so I never had the opportunity to buy any of the special reward items.

Sounds like there might be some demand for random random encounter maps. I'll work on it. I might even fiddle with the selection of enemies as well, though some of the never seen maps have some interesting enemy list already.

14. Shiningted

These maps will mean more spiders, which will be an incentive to get Lareth's Prophylactic of Action to work.

15. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

I had to rest 98 days, one day at a time, until he finally had my reward :suprised:

Our Host!