Random Encounters & Lotus

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by PharaunMizzrym, Aug 14, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well here's a somewhat silly idea I guess... stuff in the inventories can be fiddled to occur randomly (to randomise the treasure monsters carry). MS could be fiddled to sell the thing randomly, BUT if she didn;t have it you would have to buy somehting else from her, wait a day then go back with her inventory refreshed. Thats the silly part.

Otherwise we have a 20% chance of it coming up in any Nulb shopkeepers inventory - MS, Otis, Lodriss etc and you would get a chance of buying it at some point, randomly determined.

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Here's an even sillier idea: We could do it both ways. My experience with the random number generater in ToEE tells me that even if I make it a 10% chance of having the encounter, it still may not ever happen. I tested it with a 33% chance and it still took 6 encounters before I got swamp. Having it show up randomly in Nulb makes sense, and makes for a good backup. I will have to change my fix so it checks to see if the quest is completed, so that reverts back to the normal chance of getting a swamp encounter after you've cured Ami.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well, someone's gotta throw a wrench in the works here . . .

I've never gotten the Lotus either, so I feel your pain. However, I'd point out that Liv did exstensive testing on her mod, and I suspect that the way the Lotus quest is is the way she wanted it. That said, I don't know that it's really that big a deal, as long as the fix doesn't become a defacto way of subverting the quest. I think the random appearance in anyone's inventory in Nulb is silly, though. Why would Lodriss stock Swamp Lotus along with her Ring of Protection +1? I could see Mother Screng having it maybe, but remember, Jaroo says he can't find it anywhere and it's become rare. If it was in Nulb he'd probably know about it.

4. Shiningted

Yeah this is true Gaear, I just think Liv would have meant for it to be a completed quest long before you got 2 Nulb.

O well, maybe she didn't. Maybe she meant to terrorise us all as with her 'other shopkeeper' :D "KEEP LOOKING!!!"

5. Cerulean the Blue

Thanks for your input Gaear. I have to disagree with you though. I don't think Liv intended for it to be impossible to complete this quest. She said many times never had any problem finding it, meaning that she always got the swamp random encounter, or perhaps she just teleported to the map and never did extensively test the encouter showing up. She never seemed to comprehend the difficulty people were having finding the Lotus. At the time it just seemed that people weren't looking carefully enough. In hindsight maybe the difficulty was that people just weren't geting the encounter, a problem she never experience with that charmed system of hers. I don't want to just let people buy the Lotus. I'm just trying to make the encounter have a little higher chance of showing up so that people can complete the quest. If my fix will guarantee at least one swamp map encounter per game, I say skip adding it to the Nulb merchants.

Oh, and btw, we did say it was a silly idea.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

is this possible...
    having it randomly be in a monsters inventory?
    something that might've picked it up.

7. Shiningted

Yup, even easier than randomly inventorialising it. Just randomly pop it in a lizard's stomach (have to delete the 'no equip' in protos.tab, but then stuff inside giant beasty's stomachs is a classic D&D idea).

"Arrr squidy, I got nothing aginst ye, I just heard there was gold in yer belly. Arr!" :pirate:

8. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

Why not just add a quest? After all Scrags daughter is "hiding something" right?

Perhaps its rarity has made it pretty valuable, but they would be willing to part with there "secret" for a favor? (Personally I feel that would work way better then Liv's random chance, and I doubt she would complain)

9. Shiningted

Its a thought, but it already IS a quest.

What favour exactly would Murfles want from you? :tired:

10. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

So whats wrong with getting a quest to finish a quest?

As for favors... wow hmmm... maybe she wants Marys job at the brothel ;) hehe

11. Gaear

Y'Dey and Murfles are good, aren't they? If they knew Amii was dying for lack of Swamp Lotus, they'd get it to Jaroo somehow without trading up.

Well, it's actually not impossible, just really difficult. Maybe she wanted some players to fail? I don't know.

Sounds okay to me.

12. Cerulean the Blue

Well, it's not impossible per se, but it isn't possible in every game. I've played through the game seven times since Liv released the current version of her mod. Out of those seven, I've only had the swamp random encounter in three. Several people have never had this encounter. I don't know why this is, but it means that in a given game you may never have the opportunity to find the Lotus.

You did make me think about what Liv intended, however, so I went back and reread all her posts about the Lotus. I have come to the conclusion that maybe she wouldn't have cared that in some games you never get the encounter, though I can't say one way or the other if she really intended it to be as rare as it is. That's why my fix changes it so that it is more likely that you will at least have the opportunity to find it, though it still leaves a chance that the random encounter will never happen. I will post my fix, once I have time to test it further, in case people want it, and because I want to join the hallowed ranks of posted modders.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  13. Shiningted

<cough> entry fee....? Don't make me send Cujo around.

14. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

It was just an idea. I personally feel having it quested is far better then a random chance of finding it. Why even add the Amii quest if chances are your going to fail?(Unless you console it) It's pointless. No offense to Liv and her creative genious, I just don't think that part was thought out very well.

Also there are many other NPCs if these two don't fit the bill (even though in my eyes they are still the best choice. With Scrags daughters attitude I can't belive she'd just hand it over, good or not.

15. Gaear

I never played through that whole Screng - Murfles thing, but isn't their attitude just a facade, in keeping with Y'Dey's "undercover" posturing as Mother Screng?

Our Host!