Random encounter shadows

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Waterd103, Jun 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Waterd103

Waterd103 Member

As I said, i know that there is no real gameplay effect. STil, for certain porpouses I want to do the best ingame time I can, but i don't want to micro all the spells. That's why i'm asking for this, thanks anyway.

2. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

Waterd103,

What do you mean by the best in game time? Are you talking about how fast you can complete the game given the game's calendar system? Also when you mean heal I assume it is only hit points and not poison or disease. If you mean that the characters should be fully heal of disease and poison also in the eight hours then I would have to totally disagree. Unless your healer also knew the cure disease or cure poison spells. Which low level characters would not know? Or are you saying that any potions or scrolls that contain healing would automatically be used? I doubt that is your intent.

By the rules it takes a cleric or healer eight hours in pray to his/her god to receive spells. Now if you are saying automatically cast the heal spells after each 8 hour period (excluding scrolls and potions) and pray for more, your characters would not be fully healed in eight hours but require several 8 hour periods. You can use rest until healed.

3. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Well, If ya dont are intented to rest for several days OR rest, cast cure spells and rest again, this is a big problem... There are no other way, lad!
    Just to let ya know - I just knew about this afer a yer or so playing this game... - if ya hold shift when casting Cleric Spells they will be show as converted to Cure Spells of the same circle - well, aye, Clerics are able to od this in pnp game, right?
    But ya just have this two ways to full heall: Rest for several days, or rest, recharge spells and rest again.

4. Waterd103

Waterd103 Member

Yes, i refer to calendar time.

I know that there is any legitit way to do this, that's why i'm asking for a hint or tip on a trainer or hack , maybe a way to put in my backaup a wand wiht 1000000 charges of Mass heal?

5. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

It's quite easy to cheat, do a search on these boards for console commands if thats what you're after.

Of course, after all this talk of role playing... :poke:

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Heh, the wand of heal seems to have been removed: thats interesting.

You'll have to settle for a wand of cure critical wounds: to get it, just open the console (search the forum if you don't know how) and type 'give 12089'. Repeat as necessary. I don't see the point of cheating to achieve a spectacularly fast run through, but as you said, you have your reasons :shrug:

EDIT: Ninja'd by the freakin' dog again! :anger:

7. Waterd103

Waterd103 Member

Ha thanks.
    And yes is exactly about roleplaying I'm not exactly cheating, since i would kind of do the same, but just micro a lot my healers and paying a little to healers (wich means more micro, because traveling and dialog options)

If you really want to know why i'm going to do this, i can explain, but it's long (it's really really long to explain it well)and i don't think you are going to be interested.

8. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Well, Im a very curious person.... And I believe that this forum has enough space for things like long explanation.
    And, well, Im sure that the people of the forum willl read and... Well, they will read yer explanation!

CĀ“mom, go on!

9. Waterd103

Waterd103 Member

Ok, I understand that some people won't understand me, but there is a forum where there is people that do, i frequent www.sirlin.net a lot and i'm known for what i'm going to tell.

I have problems enjoying Modern games, Also i have troubles enjoying RPGs in general.
    My major problem with Modern games and RPGs in general, is that they give you an infinite amount of one of the most valuable resources you can find in games, Time.

Games are a very important part of my life, and i see games as a puzzle of decisions. The game present you an arrange of options and you must choose the most adecuated for it. I really enjoy that, i really really enjoy that. That's why i dedicate my life to play all kind of games that put me in those situations again and again. In fact i live of pro graming, and sustain my life (i'm 26 and live with my female partner) of gaming.
    This of course has set my mindset to a very competitive one in what games respect, and is because of that that i play a lot of games that have high requirements on decision making skills, both for money and casual (by the way , you should check out the beta of Yomi a game i'm helping to beta test and i think is great you can find about it on the mentioned page, if you are like me and love games that test your decisions skills.)

Despite this, I enjoy roleplaying, especially in fantasy settings, i feel a little embrassed of that fact, because i feel like a little child that likes to live in wonderworld. But embrassed or not, i can't deny it, i love to roleplay that i live in a fantasy setting and do things. I really get very compentrated on roleplaying games. In fact everytime i create a character i imagine all his background story and when is a partygame, i even imagine and create all the reasons on how the party came up together.
    In fact even when i play non rpg games i build and create all this situations in my mind.

But all this clashes with my obsession on taking good decisions.
    For example when I create a character I have this dilema, I want to take the best decision, but sometimes, my 3 intelligence fighter, isn't exactly nice for my roleplaying. That is, my good decision taking (i want to take the decision that maximize my chances of sucess) clashes with the fact that seems unnatural that all the stats are so min/maxed.
    That's why i prefer generally playing with roll characters. Because I have to adapt, to create stories on what the game gives me, and it doesn't clash wiht my Taking decission obsession, the game give me a character and now i have to take my best decisions to make him sucess. In fact to allow me roleplay and not clash with this obsession, i always have a strategist in the party, someone with great wisdom or intelligence, wich basically take the decision i would take, for my party. Generally I play with the discussions my party would make to take decisions.
    I'm the kind of guy that try for my characters to answer what their alignament and personality would make them to do.

So what all this have to do with me cheating here?
    I found something that's unfun. That is, in life, something very important to have allways into account when taking decision, is time. In life ,time is gold. In RPGS, generally time is infinite. You can take 20 years to take a decision, and nothing changes.
    A lot of rpgs manage this well, a lot of rpgs put you in time constraints, and you must consider the time it takes to do certain things, to decide if you will do them or not.
    .This is specially true for some oldtime rpgs and especially for rougelikes.
    But some other rpgs that is not true, and this is the case of TOEE.
    In TOEE, you can rest 100 years and nothing happens, is stupid. But this doesn't end here.
    So when i need to have to take decisions, my decisions will be very loopsided.
    I have a partymember injured, should i go on, or rest? The answer rest
    I have one sorcerer without half his spells should go on or rest? the answer rest
    I Have a character with one less hit point than full, should i go on or rest? the answer rest
    I have a character with one less spell, should i go on or rest? the answer rest
    You get the idea.

So I wan to take hard decision "should I rest despite the time it will take, or should i go on and afront the risk of fighting without all my resources?" If you read fantasy novels, heroes always are on this struggle, even in movies, books stories ,and in real life!. Obviusly rest is always cool, but you can't always rest, because time passes and if you do nothing bad thing happens.

Ok, now that i have defined my problem, let's go to the solution.
    One would be to put a time limit , wich is fine, but i don't have idea of what's a fair time to beat in games, especially since i generally only do one RPG run, and people generally don't post their times, don't care, of if they post it in anygame is a super maximized perfect time that, as we know, it wouldn't be fair for a first time run.
    The other solution? Give me a reason to try to achieve the best time possible. This way i can put myself in though spots where i have to take hard decisions..
    I have done this in the past, and i have friends to do this with. Sadly no one said to have time or will to run TOEE, so i'm alone FOR NOW on this, it doesn't mean that i can't set a time, record it, and when some friend in the future decide to run toee, tell him my time.

Yes there is a little competition, but that's not the real porpouse of this, the real porpouse of this is to give the runner a REASON a MOTIVE, to be in this though spots i talked about.
    There is a whole procedure of set rules and information for this that also long to explain.

Since we defined the problem and the solution, let's go to the execution.
    One of the problems with execution here is that the best way to achieve a good ingame time is having several healers and do the whole memorize, rest, heal, rememorize, rest ,procedure that IT ISN"T FUN. And also gives a huge buff to Clerics (that really don't need them)
    So ideally, the rest will heal everyone and period. There is of course the option to set ruels about cleric memorizing and healing, but they would be very complex to be fair, if they can be done fair.
    So I will recreate the IDEAL of "the party heals fully after rest" with this wand of cheating. Of course i would prefer an every SIMPLER SYSTEM, but i have to live with what i have.

If you manged to get this far, at least i hope you managed to understand me.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sure, but you know its just gonna lead to more questions.

Like "what games do you make money from?" I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say "Starcraft".

11. Waterd103

Waterd103 Member

I don't know how that's relevant to my point, but starcraft isn't one.

12. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

actually, if a person lists gaming as their occupation, i generally would guess online poker first :D

When i'm creating point buy characters, i rarely drop a stat lower than 8.

Of course, a lot of powergamers would disagree with that, saying that a fighter only needs 3 int - but thats just me :D of course, i also am quite fond of the expertise feat...

13. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I think I got lost somewhere along the way.

I actually try not to let the characters rest much - except in town while waiting for stuff. I simply find the game much more challenging when the characters are haggard.

I suppose that is one of the ways that ToEE still has appeal after several playthroughs.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

There are some things that are time-dependent in ToEE - Amii's quest, get the orb, etc.

I agree with VP, don't like low intelligence PCs. You'd think a 3 INT character would basically be mentally retarded and hardly a suitable companion for a save-the-world endeavor. Average scores should be the minimum in all categories for 'heroes' imo.

15. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

Waterd103,

I understand what you are trying to say, but if you use the wand to fully heal your party where is the excitement? Your party is always up to full strength just with the wave of a wand which is why you only find these items on extremely hard to kill characters. They also use the wand during encounters with your party to heal themselves!

Let take the moathouse as an example. You party is severely damaged by the enemy. Your healer and spellcaster have no spells. Your rogue is near death and your fighters are limping along with very few hp what do you do?

Most would elect to retreat to a safe spot to heal and re-memorize spells. You would simply whip out your wand of cure critical wounds and heal everyone! Where is the decision in that? The only decision is you continue without spells!

Now what the designers could have done was if you leave the moathouse or go to the safe tower is send reinforcements to the area you just cleared! Or one of the bugbears before it dies raises an alarm that will bring reinforcements. Your party may need to press on.

Also the wand takes away another decision you do not need to have your healer memorize healing spells! You can have a completely offensive or buffing healer, unless that is the intention.

Now if you just trying for the fastest in game time then I can see the purpose. But for competition purposes you can still compare times with the original system. It just wont be as impressive.

Our Host!