Random Encounter Frequency

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by marc1967, Jul 14, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

2. Stasis

Stasis Member

I'd like them to be finite.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There's not really a finite number of monsters though...

Sounds good Sitra. Since I am away from my modding PC, can you explain the role Spot and Listen play in this? I don't like to rely purely on Survival (people have to be able to play as, say, 5 Paladins or whatever, and not be railroaded into having a Druid or Range3r, though the manual does point out they help!) so the 'high survival score fixes it!' argument doesn't really convince me.

4. Sitra Achara

Party makes an opposed d20 roll vs. the monsters, with a bonus equal to (spot + listen + survival)/3, using the highest total value of the 3 (as opposed to using the highest value for each and then adding up). Haven't altered this part in case you're wondering.

5. Stasis

Stasis Member

Indeed.
    It's a question of realism vs gameplay&balance.

6. edmortimer

edmortimer Occupy Wall Street

I want to put a thought out here about balance -- to me, the economics of the game are way more unbalancing than the random encounter experience point issue. Once you've traded in that magic item your party doesn't need, and outfitted everybody with good equipment . . . the game changes. Get tons of gold, craft magic everything -- especially items to erase any character weaknesses. Your adventurers come into town where the people are still counting coppers, dump a bunch of unwanted equipment and treasure on these poor folk, and leave with thousands of platinum.

Wait. Where did they get these endless thousands of platinum in this small village out where nobody goes? And the village folk don't even realize they are so rich -- 'cause if they knew there was endless thousands of platinum floating about somewhere in town . . . well then, at the very least prices for everything would be skyhigh, and the streets would be lined with copper.

For me, I'd leave the encounters alone except to make them more interesting (just as you've done -- could you post a tutorial on how to mod the REs? Please?). I'd try to work out a more sane economic system.

7. Stasis

Stasis Member

One does not preclude the other. Inflated XP is as damaging as an inflated economy.

8. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

9. edmortimer

I agree. I'm just saying that from my point of view it's the overabundance of money that eventually unbalances my games. I can use Survival skill to avoid needless or extravagant encounters --Survival skill seems to me to be a necessary basic skill for any adventurer. But for the money aspect -- a low Appraise skill doesn't negate the overabundance of money. Around mid-level my party usually has enough money to do whatever they want -- to craft or buy whatever they need. At this point the random encounters become too easy most of the time, and I can ignore them for not being a challenge.

This is all just my viewpoint. When I bring a magic cloak to the poor tailor I had to give 20 gold to in order for him to make uniforms . . . and he gives me 1100 gold for the cloak after identifying it for 100 gold . . . OK, where's the balance there? Ain't nowhere to be seen.

Thanks for the tutorial link!

Oh, I know I'm referring to TOEE (Co8 v8.0.1) here, and not KotB v1.0.0, but the situation is the same. It IS a bit toned down in KotB, but the problem I see is still there.

10. Sitra Achara

tbh, I've come around to accept the viewpoint that instead of carefully tailoring balance via restrictions, cRPGs should just go balls out. Is the player getting too powerful? No problem, just make the enemies equally as crazy and overpowered! It just makes for more interesting and visceral combat situations. Admittedly this is troublesome to implement in a D&D product, which has all sorts of 'strings attached'.

11. edmortimer

One thing that can restore a little balance is give the players something BIG and EXPENSIVE to buy and maintain -- like a tower or small fort. Let there be minions who need pay and supplies and training and upkeep . . . y'know, like those games where you build a castle, town, train armies, feed peasants . . . etc . . . a little side game that the players can engage in if they want (why do you think the player's party has more stuff than Burne & Rufus? Because Burne & Rufus gotta pay for the tower and guards and etc.).

Yes, I know, it's a lotta work. I'm just throwing out ideas.

Making it cheap and easy for the players to get a house or permanent lodging is not necessary -- ALL players will have plenty of ready cash soon enough to buy whatever they want. 5000 gold for that house and 100 gold a month for wood, food, water, etc? No problemo, yo.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

A word of caution on modding your own games (like with the RE tutorial) - we provide support for the games and mods Co8 releases, and that's all. You may get some assistance in the modding forum if you're serious about taking things on, but if you for example change REs in KotB yourself and then your game starts crashing, don't expect us to troubleshoot the problem for you. The version we shipped didn't crash. ;) Sorry but there's no real way we can support mods of mods. It's just impractical given the resources we have.

~

On the balance and economy questions, I tend to agree with the come-what-may sentiment as far as extravagance goes in terms of outlandishly powerful enemies at high levels and whatnot, just because D&D doesn't allow for any other approach really. For example, it's objectively ridiculous to have the ToEE and WotGS scenarios in the same game. In ToEE, the Temple priests are among the most badass 'normal' people around. They're limited in number and are generally like level 6 clerics or so. Then you have an Otis (level 10 fighter) or Prince Thrommel here and there, and they'e basically olympians. But along comes WotGS and you have armies of 10th level fighters attacking the village, and you have armies of 10th level fighters patrolling Verbobonc. Where were these guys when the ToEE was rising? They could have squashed it or taken it over in a heartbeat.

And yet we want our level 11 - 20 adventures, right? You've got to get there somehow, and no one wants to fight the same enemies at level 20 as you did at level 1. It's a D&D deficiency, not really a game design deficiency. The one thing pretty much requires the other, so you have to just look the other way when continuity issues arise, or not have high level adventures.

I agree that the economy is too flush, definitely in ToEE but probably in KotB too. The capacity for a village to pay out could be limited through modding, but it would be a lot of work. Plus it would end up being a hindrance. So do we want to force you into real world economics or make it convenient for you to offload your stuff? Can't really do both.

Lastly on RE frequency, the come-what-may approach would support unlimited REs, just because that's what the system indicates, and forget about XP. If you spend tons of time on the road, you'll naturally run into more trouble, so you could argue that those groups should advance faster. ToEE/KotB aren't hand-holding games that make sure you don't get yourself in over your head, they're do what you want games. That's part of the 'beauty' of them.

That said, my take on sensible REs would be that it's actually not terribly likely to run into trouble out on the road all the time, even skill checks for avoidance aside. I'd think a more realistic representation would be about a one in 20 chance of running into somebody/thing at all, let alone what would happen after that. (Bad guys would probably want a dialogue to size you up for vulnerability, animals would actually probably flee, monsters would do whatever their numbers and varying attitudes dictate.) So in the end, chances of something going down would end up being pretty slim imo. But of course D&D doesn't really implement that, so are we implementing D&D or creating real life combat simulations?

And on and on ...

13. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

KOTB keeps things in check much better than the original game. Usually I am scraping up enough gold to craft someone a +1 weapon, or maybe barely a +2 shield. I like this. Then I find a really pricy magic item that can be sold for 15,000 gp and it's +2 weapons for everyone! That's what usually throws things off kilter in my groups. Of course in the original game this glut of treasure leads to +3 Holy Flaming Frost Shock weapons for everyone. :roll:

In regards to the villagers forking over that money and throwing the economy out of whack, I think keeping track and limiting the flow of coin would give the game a Sim City kind of edge. Some would love it, but I think the majority would be annoyed. But if it were to be implemented, wouldn't it be possible to use the san_insert_item() call for each dealers chest, and keep track of how much was sold to that dealer. And if their buying limit is met for the day or whatever just refuse to buy the item. I would kind of like this in moderation, but maybe not.

I agree with the 1 in 20 reality. And I like what you wrote in parenthesis about the encounters not being static KOS and having some unusualness to it. But of course that all takes time to program.

It makes me wonder how Mickey makes the trip to Nulb every night to go drinking, and then safely back to Hommlet to go to work in the morning without ever getting waylaid along the road. Meanwhile my 3rd level group is quaking in their boots in fear of running into trolls or something.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, his listen, spot and survival would be in the toilet, especially on the way back. Attractive solo target, etc. If there were bandits working the roads, and if they were behaving like actual bandits, they'd go for him if they thought he was flush at all. And they'd wait quietly as the gang of 6 heavily armed and armored guys went by in hopes of catching another Mickey instead.

15. Sitra Achara

What are you talking about? Random encounters are set to never have a greater CR than the average effective party level + 2, so Mickey is completely safe. :p

Regarding san_insert_item, unfortuantely it works off of items, not chests. Still, while being quite unwieldy and a sort of a mega-project, it might be doable. (I'd add the stipulation that there should be some convenient way of seeing the merchant's remaining gold while trading, such as there being a dynamic pile of gold in his inventory that updates in real time)

Our Host!