Raise Dead Scroll not working?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Feb 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Oh goody a rules debate!

What about p268 of the PHB 3.5 - the Raise Dead spell

"A creature who has been turned into an undead creature or killed by a death effect can't be raised by this spell. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can't be raised. The spell cannot bring back a creature that has died of old age."

A native outsider is still an outsider.

2. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

The Native subtype has a special exception to the Raise Dead rule that overrides the rule for outsiders.

I'm honestly shocked that the rule is even programmed in. Is it just there for one NPC companion (who might be exceptional as well)? I can't think of when else it would matter.

Also, I looked, and it doesn't appear to be in the spell script, so it must be hard coded in the Raise Dead condition that actually does some of the work.

ithildur likes this.
  3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

It is hard coded.

4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Its easier turning them into Lesser Aasimar and Lesser Tieflings (as I have done)

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I guess the spell script could be changed to alter the race of Aasimar and Teifling characters to human, activate the spell script, then change it back to it's original. That would allow this spell to work, but still keep Enlarge/Reduce person to fail - as that also doesn't apply to Outsiders.

_doug_ likes this.
  6. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I've been off my computer the past few days, but, yes, @ithildur is correct. They can't be affected by most Humanoid-only effects, such as enlarge person, but raise dead works.

7. DarkmoonKing

DarkmoonKing Member

Aasimar and Tieflings are under the Human race so I don't see why they wouldn't be seen first as Humans, and therefore capable of being raised

8. _doug_

_doug_ Established Member

Took a look and fixing the code correctly looks pretty difficult. This is a really clever workaround. I am going to give it a shot for the next Temple+ version.

Allyx and Endarire like this.
  9. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

I could take a crack at fixing the underlying problem if you want. I looked and it seemed like it'd be possible.

Also, it looked like there is a special case for Darley, because she's a human in her proto. So they specifically test for her proto ids to make sure you can't raise her.

Our Host!