Quite charming...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by grufflehead, Jul 25, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. grufflehead

grufflehead Member

Hey folks

Well thanks to the kindness of the regulars I've been enjoying many happy (and occasionally frustrating!) hours playing ToEE - not sure how some people are claiming it is a short game, but that's another story.

Anyhoo, while I was having another of my alarmingly frequent 3AM finish sessions last night I ran into a problem that I could use some help with. To try and avoid spoilers I won't say where I am, but the problem happens when one of my NPC buddies gets charmed by one of the opposition. I can't break them out of it - spells don't work, waiting doesn't work, heck even laying them out doesn't work, and even though they are 'hostile' when you do KO them you still can't take away any of their stuff to make them less of a threat! Eventually, having left them to sleep it off a while, when I got back to the room they had just vanished. Given that the NPC in question is a key member of the party, in my current location their loss could be a fairly major handicap.

Have searched the threads for certain related keywords, and checked the walkthrough but no mention in either source. Bug? Feature? Suggestions?

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Use the solution linked in the common problems and solutions thread for spell permanency. It kills the character and then raises them and then you give them their XP back.

There is also a console command if the NPC is hostile after this listed in that thread too.(edit:usually happens when they leave the party if you've hit them).

This is a bug so feel no shame after a fight where a character gets charmed to use the console to resolve what the game cannot do for itself.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  3. grufflehead

grufflehead Member

Thanks for that. I'm currently at work so unable to try it but one thing that might cause me problems - the fix suggests putting the NPC in slot 0 before killing/raising. In the game I was playing, IIRC as soon as the 'charmer' was killed, the NPC's portrait disappeared from the bottom of the screen so I'm not sure how I'll be able to re-position them to get the commands to work on them.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Could you not charm the NPC back into the party? :D

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I discovered charms tend to wear off in the distance between the Temple (or Nulb) and Hommlet while dealing with this very issue, so getting the player back there for a spell-permanency fix might be a bit difficult. Maybe better just to charm them intot he party, kill them, pay to get them raised, then reimburse yourself the XP / gold after.

Our Host!