Questions about Creature innate Spells and Strategy.tab

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Nerik, Mar 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

The first question concerns how a creature is given innate spells. There are a number of spell fields in the Protos.tab that contain entries in the formal '<spell name>' <class> <level>, am I right in assuming that <class> will be domain_special for innate spells?
    How is the caster level of innate spells set (or is it just based on the hit dice)?
    Also, how is the number of times usable set, or is each spell entry only usable once?

I assume that for the creature to actually cast the spells, a suitable strategy.tab entry must be created, what is the best program for editing the stratergy.tab? Are there any guidelines on how to use the strategy.tab, I've found some hints on these forums and by examining the existing file in Protoed, but that's all.

Charles

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

You've pretty much got it right. You have to list the spell in the creature's protos.tab entry and in the strategy.tab entry that causes them to cast it.

I use Phalzyr's protos editor for monkeying with the strategy.tab

As for how the strategy.tab works? Your guess is a good as mine. My only successes in creating new entries so far have involved copying existing entries and then changing them slightly and I even screwed up a bunch with those. I haven't figured out the logic yet.

3. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

Thanks, Kalshane, I'll see what I can do with it.

Charles

4. Virtual SpACEman

Virtual SpACEman Established Member

yep im spending time on figuring out the strategy.tab logic as well, use Phalzyr's protos editor else it will screw up the syntax.

you can actualy make some pretty awesome strategy possible, with a lil logic if/ then/ and thinking.

i did a test on my boars recently, even tested a few spell for kicks. seems special domain is required to make spell work for non classed monster casting ...and you have to assign a huge concentration bonus in monster protos if ya want em to behave like innate abilites with no interruption.

there are hundreds of combinations possible for tactics try to follow a logical progression based on the monster skills and abilitys and its intelligence.

ie: animals generaly arnt smart enough to make a the tactical distinction of flanking and coup de grace etc.

i think im gonna try a caster template with counterspell and such and see how narsty it is.

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I agree with this generalization, but don't forget to give them credit for what nature uses in place of intelligence: instinct, evolution, & the will to survive. Hunters know where to bite their prey to deliver a killing blow, or else they'd risk injury or starvation at the hands of prey struggling and or escaping if they couldn't do the deed swiftly enough. And pack hunters do flank their quarry, which explains herd animals standing in a defensive circle at times. Horns & hooves make it harder to target the more tender and tasty portions.

Our Host!