Question related to DnD miniature size

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ioannis76, Jul 28, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

Thanks, I'll keep it that color, then. I "faded it a little bit by wrapping some plasteline around the blade and then "wiping" it a bit, and now it seems ok.
    There will be some more updates on the armor soon (in the next few days). camera battery is depleted at the moment, and it's too late at night to recharge it and take/post some pictures.
    I decided to try and somewhat implement your idea about wings in the armor, we'll see if it works. :)

2. ioannis76

Hello again, I have made the upper part of the armor. It is a "plate" in the front, linked with chains with the shoulder guards and the back part of the armor ("wings" and a "spine"). I've also made a "skull" mace to be used along with the shield, because dragonborn or no, the sword IS a gratsword by any standards, and needs two hands:

[​IMG]

Here is the back. You can't see much with regard to the "spine" from this angle, so I thought it would be best to also provide you with a side view:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

What color or pigment do you plan for his skin/hide?

It's hard to fathom how you get such details when working with something so small.

Nice work!

4. ioannis76

Thanks, I was thinking of metallic red for the scales/hide. However, I am starting to think that maybe I could do some "snake skin" pattern, at least along the spine (the actual spine, not that of the armor).
    About the detail, this dough or clay gives the user the ability to add material, and therefore detail. What I try to do, is, I usually give it the general shape I want, then wait for the material to harden. When it does, I come back to it, adding a "sheet" of fresh material over the hardened form (on which I apply some, very little, water, so that the two surfaces stick). When the fresh material is applied and fits the hardened surface, completely covering it, I start trying to carve the details, using a pin, if I want to carve deep (as in the case of the leg and arm "scales"), or a less sharp piece of metal (actually, one part of a pair of tweezers) if I want to make "dents" (as in the case of the belly "scales"). If I need more detail, I can always add some more material, eg the spinar cord, which starts from the head, above the eyes was added at a later point, with the tweezers being used to squeeze either side of the spine to make the vertebrae.
    Not really difficult, I would say. It just needs some care to make sure that you get the proportions right (I always think I mess up in that) and you shouldn't forget that if you make a mistake, you can (almost) always fix it later.

5. sirchet

Yeah, you make it sound like it's nothing. :p

6. ioannis76

It's certainly not that difficult. :)
    I think that most people who are involved in that sort of thing find it easier to draw a sketch of what they want to make, but since I am not good at drawing, I prefer to browse the internet for stuff, whic I later try to combine. Also, past "experience" helps with making stuff later, for example, the "plate armor" (the front part) of this mini might help with the armor of a death knight. :)

7. ioannis76

Here are some more updates on the Dragonborn, the lower part of the armor turned out to be rather interesting. I attempted to make a couple of skulls to be used as knee guards, a "goat" skull to be used as left shin guard and a horned dragon skull to be used as a right shin guard, on the supposition that the dragonborn is going to use his right leg (mostly) to kick. I also made an addition to the back part of the upper body armor, but I don't know about it.

Here is the front part, to get an idea on the general look of it:
    [​IMG]

Here is the detail on the left leg. I had originally made another goat skull, but the horns turned out to be somewhat bigger than I wanted them to be, so I decided to make a new one. I wouldn't want toe dragonborn to trip over his own armor, that would be embarassing :p
    [​IMG]

and the right leg:
    [​IMG]

Now here is the "surprise" back side:
    [​IMG]

Perhaps this makes it look like he has a "puppy" backpack (I've seen twenty-year old girls with that sort of thing around), but I felt he needed some sort of protection for the back of the neck, which was rather vulnerable. The dragon head seems to be looking down, which is acceptable, simce he must be around 10 ft tall (if one inch is 5 ft). The bad part is that it seems to be rather heavy, "pulling" the armor somewhat backwards.

Here is the other goat skull I made, btw. I hope it will be useful as a breastplate in another armor, suck "extra" pieces are usually useful at some point:
    [​IMG]

I would have posted earlier, but I had some sort of centipede infestation in my house, it got rather creepy watching a horror movie and somehow getting an impossibly fast little (two of them were about 10 cm, the big one was about 15) creepy mediterranean centipede running from the bathroom to the living room. I had to barricade the bathroom floor siphon (guessing this is where they came from) and the door (I found out, to my very nast surprise that there was enough room from the door to the floor for a large key to fit through). Now, at the expense of a very thin metal sieve, which I dismantled (I had done that some time ago, and had used some of it as chainmail for a mini) some wire and some duct tape, I thing things will be ok.

8. ioannis76

Here he is, all decked out and ready for action (though the shield tends to fall off):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sirchet

Well, he's certainly an armored adversary!

Drops his shield you say, hmmm wonder how easy it is to try a disarm attack? ;)

10. ioannis76

Well, part of the armor is actually his own natural scales (golden red with copper). About that shield I think rubber bands (at least one) would solve the problem.
    Regarding a disarm attack, I think he is one size larger than a human (more like an ogre or something similar), therefore chances of rolling a successful one would be minimal, with or without rubber bands. :yes:
    The action figure bit was not too successful, too. It appears that at least his left hand tends to "drop" (he stretches it down, due to gravity) which means that the wire didn't hold out the weight quite as I expected. I may have to revisit the concept of using wires in the joints, and examine some action figure mechanisms. :p.

11. sirchet

Well, Improved disarm allows your attempt to be considered as you are one size larger. :p

I think he looks good, I kind of pictured him with less armor, more of a barbarian type.

Still, I like it!

12. ioannis76

Ah, I did not know about improved disarm. :p Oh, well, the shield is much better placed now, the only problem is that he tends to fall forward, due to the weight of the shield. This can easily be fixed, though by means of small balance wires to the front of the foot. I deliberately leave the minis without bases, in order to give myself the option of giving them mounts.
    About the excessive armor, well, I like making armored minis, and this process is more like "well it would be nice to add this piece, too", and then "well, that type of piece would look good as well", and before you know it, you have a rather heavily armored miniature. :p.

13. sirchet

Hmmm .... or is it improved trip, it's heck getting old and not remembering stuff.

Either way, I really like how he he turned out and I can understand the desire to craft armors cause they're just freaking cool. heh heh

I mean, a heavily armored mountain of a man/dragon bearing down on you ... :yikes:

14. ioannis76

And to think that I originally wanted to make teeth jutting from his mouth to make him juuuuust a little scarier. :p

15. ioannis76

Our Host!