Problem with Chaotic Evil Party

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by blackfly, Jan 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I have a slight problem.

I have a CE party that enjoys playing that alignment; butchering hapless Hommlet as a start. But assuming I follow through on this threat, how can one be selective; ie: kill only a few (Rufus and Burne) and yet still get the ability to buy weapons from Brother Smythe. At low levels, few parties have a lot of money and by the time they do, their reputation preceeds them.

Any ideas?

2. Xiskio

Xiskio Member

Chaotic Evil parties does'nt need to go INSANE! ;)

Do you really expect people to work with the party who killed all their neighbors, friends and customers?

3. blackfly

That is not my point.

If you are neutral or near good, even one or two bad acts will have the entire town after you. A CE party is supposed to be bad, and killing everyone is SUPPOSED to happen. So how is such a party supposed to succeed. They can only trade with Rannos, and he does not offer much in the way of weapons. No masterwork whatsoever. The only hope is Otis, but his selection is limited compared to Brother Symthe (post mods). I am not lamenting this, only pointing out that the good parties have many more options open to them, and I am curious why a CE or just evil party in any event couldn't have just as many options open to them. Perhaps in an expansion pack.

4. Trel Blackstone

Trel Blackstone Member

Ummm... Chaotic Evil doesn't translate into Chaotic Stupid. It doesn't make them orcs or other creatures. They are lieing, double crossing, kill to there advantage type of people unless they have low intelligence then they might go off killing everyone.

The other thing too is that the majority of people in the D&D universe are neutral good. So to me it makes sense that better things go to the good side than the evil. My opinion on what I know anyway. I like the game just the way it is, except for all the bugs of course.

5. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Stop telling him how to play his alignment!!!

First of all, the chaotic evil party STARTS where it slaughteres a whole monestary, so it even fits the way troika designed it.

Even if he doesnt slaughter everyone, he said himself, just killing one or two people in homlet sets the whole town against you.

I think that if you play the path of evil, you get to slaughter homlet for a quest for the cultist in the moathouse, and its actually a viable reputation (slaughterer of homlet or something).

Regardless, the problem here is that otis was modified by fans to have a good selection of weapons, to have unlimited arrows and bolts and the like, and to offer every kind of masterwork item for sale.

The blacksmith in the pirate town, AND a similar trader in the TEMPLE (in case you join their ranks) should also have the same thing. This is a valid reasonable request.

6. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

If you openly killed a few people in the town you live in the local population would be likely to take notice. It doesn't make sense to attack the town (unless your playing a "lunatic" or cn type alignment) until after you've gotten what you want out of it (weapons,information) and even then there would be little reason to slaughter everyone. It seems to me in a pnp game your party would be hunted down by the next town over and brought to justice.

7. blackfly

Look, guys, you mostly miss the point.

Chaotic evil people love to kill, torture and subjugate. That is their ethos. To become that alignment and ask to be "good" until the time is right is not viable. Has a CE monster ever done this to your LG party, pnp or otherwise?

If there are options open, then perhaps it could of been allowed that some modder outthere could of made Lareth available for all masterwork weapons, or someother person, so that, UNTIL THE END, each party has the equal chance. They can power up naturally, equip naturally and form naturally. The pathetic bent of most people, to assume good is better (a human trait, but I will not go into that), means that of course, good should have the edge.

I only ask that all alignments have no edge whatsoever, and if I wish to slaughter Hommlet, then so be it. No one laments slaughtering the temple. Why? Is it because it is bad, evil? Why the double standard. I think that this type of game allows most of us, normally good people, to act out a scenario we could never do. Perhaps I want to be bad and proud of it.

8. Trel Blackstone

Trel Blackstone Member

Whoa guys, I'm not tell him how to play his game. Blackfly is right that if they want to mod the game and give the evil guys some place to get weapons and such, that's great.

It's common sense for the whole town to attack because that is what would happen.

What I said was that in the D&D universe that the majority of the people living in it, fictional of course, are good. My point being that you will have good come together and stand against a common fow of evil, where as evil people, especially chaotic evil, will not form up as well against good. They usally look out for #1 and screw everyone else. Why do you think the temple is having a hard time getting back to strength. If you want it different then by all means make a mod that will do what you ask, but don't get on my case for telling you what my opinion is.

When I play chaotic evil personalities, I don't play them like they are serial killers or just wonton lust of killing everyone. How in the world would you play that way if you were playing the dice game with other players. I think it would have to be a unanimous decision amongst the group of players. Again this is just my opinion of how I play that alignment.

How would you play chaotic good. Go around and give everyone your money and do nice things for free. I'm a good guy, but I'm just nutty and do weird things just for the good of it.

9. Trel Blackstone

Trel Blackstone Member

Oh yeah one more thing. You are CE people not CE monsters. Huge difference in how each is played. I'm sure if you walked into a cave with a chaotic evil troll it will attack you regardless of your alignment.

The reason for evil having a tougher time is, again, because the majority of people in the D&D universe are good. To me there should be no equality of alignments in the game. I don't care if you kill everyone in Hommlet, that's great, but to try and say it should be equal would be like saying the mafia should be given equality to do there killing without repercussions from the police.

On the other side if you want to mod it that way should be able to do what ever you want it to do. You should try modding it with Hommlet being evil and the temple is actually the temple of elemental good or neutral. Just a suggestion.

Our Host!