problem loading the module

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by pumb86, Feb 25, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. pumb86

pumb86 Member

hey guys,

been slaving over the installation for days now, and finally worked out where i was going wrong; like a giddy schoolboy on christmas i managed to load up the module on TFE-X, the new backgroud and music started playing, all good, made a TN party but the game only wants to load up the origional content. so i get stuck in the druid grove.

any suggestions where i went wrong?

-phil

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

First impression is: did you activate the KotB module? Activating a module with the TFE-X can take a looooonnng time, and if you interrupt the process before it is finished, you could end up with the situation you describe.

It would help if you list exactly the steps you took to install the game, in order and as complete as possible.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Heh... I never thought of that :) "Interrupting activation will cause bizarre hybrid game": makes a lot of sense. And I thought they were unimaginably bad installs. Good call erkper :thumbsup:

Pumb: activate the original ToEE game to clear the pipes, then reactivate the KotB game. In each case, wait until the Front End actually says "activation ciomplete!" in a little pop-up box. If the Front End says "not responding" during the many minutes it will take (at least long enough to boil water and make coffee, even longer on older systems) thats normal, just wait it out.

If that doesn't work get back to us.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yes, that's quite shrewd. I can imagine how that might account for a large percentage of the "this is strange ...!" reports. That should be our first inquiry on bug reports from now on.

5. pumb86

pumb86 Member

waited for the activation thing but will give it another go, thanks for the quick responses :)

*prays*

EDIT; same again, guna do a full wipe and re-install

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  6. pumb86

pumb86 Member

also, just quick, while i have your attention, is there an addon that makes your d20 less....poor? i seem to get a resounding number of natural 1s and 2-8s

done a full reinstall now as well

installed game
    patched to version 2
    copied over tef-x
    copied over KotB
    activated (got the activation complete message)
    ran game

still in origional content (disable auto-save)

oh, running windows vistal 32bit, says that it has framework.net when i try to install it, but cannot find it on the uninstall thing in control panel

d'oh

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  7. Shiningted

The Mersenne Twister (which calculates random numbers) is indeed considered suspect.

Hmmm... not sure what the problem is. I take it you are using the latest version of KotB out recently? (1.1)? Also, when you uninstalled, did you delete the folders? I ask purely because you said "copied over", but thats probably just semantics.

8. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

One other random thought - probably a stupid question, but are you using the TFE-X interface to start the game, not the original TOEE shortcut?

9. pumb86

pumb86 Member

did an uninstall and removed all folders, still the same problem.

useing the Tfe-x interface to start the game as well

the main menu shows the addon and the background and the new music.

playing though the origional game again, the dialog in the druid grove has changed...but i just get stuck in the area, maybe i am being silly? the map icon is greyed out and cannot talk to the druid other than the "bye now" response.

decided to give up before it make me sterile...too much of a good thing hmm?

10. Xanaq

Xanaq Crazy Sorcerer

kotb has screwed up the original game for me. i installed everything as instructed. tried kotb, found i didnt like it, wasnt sure how to uninstall it, so i deactivated it.

After that i couldnt play the original model whatever i tried.

Even after uninstallation of everything, and re-installing, i still get errors. It now comes up with an error for the front end picture.

11. Shiningted

May I ask which version you are using? (The old one (1.0x) or the more recent Demo Final (1.1x)?)

If a reinstall doesn't work, you haven't deleted the folder. Uninstalling stuff only uninstalls what was installed by that program: so the Atari uninstaller doesn't uninstalll Co8 stuff, the Co8 Patch uninstaller doesn't uninstall the KotB stuff etc. To eradicate everything for a clean install, run the uninstallers then go to C:/Program Files/Atari and delete the entire Temple of Elemental Evil folder and all its contents.

12. Xanaq

Xanaq Crazy Sorcerer

it was the final version. But not even trying to use that now.

Anyway, after a few goes at uninstalling/installing ive finally managed to install toee and the co8 modpack. I`ll stick with that until maybe kotb is actually finished.

13. argikt

argikt Member

I have same problem, I start the module, create a char and start, I see the starting map related to my aligment, not the module starting map...

I tried to reinstall but same result... damm! I was playing in a friend's home and the module was amazing...

14. Shiningted

Hmmm. Are you using a cracked .exe, by any chance?

15. argikt

argikt Member

No, original game

Our Host!