Premade 'Toffee' Pro Modules Discussion

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Cerulean the Blue, Sep 2, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Re: Premade 'Toffee' 3 Pro modules

I agree witha allyx - why give clothing of no value just so you can dump it straight away?

now here's a way of looking at the merchants- they are from the guild that you trained in selling you stuff to adventure with. before I patched the game I liked to get my free bastard sword but I'd always buy another straight away so I could have 2 for my fighter, now she uses two katanas so I'd be selling that one bastard sword straight off.

for other anyone with weapon focus, just because you trained with a weapon doesn't mean that you would own one, I don't have a raiper just cos I did fencing I always borrowed one from the club, if I wanted one I'd've had to buy it, but if the club gave me one for free I wouldn't complain.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm convinced - naked and weaponless. Hey, is there a way we could make the shop map seem like the final step in character creation, rather than the first step of the adventure? That would eliminate any confusion.

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Unfortunately, in ToEE - no. There was a feature in Arcanum that kind of made it that way (you create your character, then you buy all the stuff, and then you start adventuring), but it was changed in ToEE. There is no way to stick the buying process between the character generation and the start of the first map, so we have to end up building technical workarounds (like a literal "shop map").

- Agetian

4. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

okay i fenced seriously.. A ranked saber B ranked epee, in fenceing there isnt a variance in weapons .. exact weight length etc..
    so its not the same besides your life and livly hood doesnt depend on those weapons..

armours historically had huge variance even today the better high carbon sword makers starfire .. angel swords etc.. all do

anyways taken as the final step of guild*"your ready go forth and prosper or die trying to make something of your self...

here's some rags to wear.... heres the location of a friendly caravan owner.. iand heres a small stipend..
    in that context.. rags and weaponless makes some sense.. id buy it..

btw is there a TOEE2 project in the works.. that would use exsisting chars??ported over..or mods avalible.. to offer a challange once your past level 12 or so??the level cap remover is great.. but ive got chars reaching the point of needing a challange.

5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Okay Allyx, here is the spawner. I had to use two zip files as apparently I cannot upload a file larger that 100kb. I made it a generic spawner that can be used anywhere. The script checks to see if it is on the Caravan map before executing the money adjust and weapon deletion. This way it can be used on any map with additions to the script for those maps. If other modders go with this, it will cut down on the number of unique spawners and scripts.

To everyone in general, this is not a user friendly mod. If you don't already know where to put these files, then please wait until Allyx, some other reputable modder, or myself releases a user friendly mod with these changes.

Attached Files:

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I just tried it, worked a charm! I'll update the ftp once I've poped them in to the .zips. Thanks dude. Ha it's a good thing I know where all the files are supposed to go though!

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'm with ummm I think it was Old Book, get your proficient weapons and some simple clothes. (I think I already said that).

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Umm ok, I've done 2 versions.

The linked Ted's_1.2.0 in the first post has all weapon focus weapons, fighter and druid weapons, and clothes.

I've uploaded another version Ted's_1.2.0 with shop map V2.1, which will have no weapons and no clothes.

Both have the spawner in it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  9. Cerulean the Blue

I figured you would. In the process of trying to get it under 100kb I stripped it down from being an unzippable install to just the bare files. By the time I decided it would have to be in two files it was late and I wanted to go to bed, so I didn't remake it into an unzippable install. Sorry for being so lazy. I'm glad you liked it though.

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I am of the opinion that one can indeed be naked, but not necessarily weaponless...

;)

My opinion on the topic is that what is needed is a good opening to set the stage, here. The characters should appear clothed and armed with only one weapon of proficiency, regardless of specialization...but you get that as your one weapon if chosen as such in the creation process. You've gone off to seek your fortune already, then BAM...opening vignette for the alignment you've chosen. After that, it's off to the bazaar to outfit for a quest of unknown peril & duration in remote little Hommlet...buying whatever you can with the funds you brought along in the big city before getting underway. Someone *cough...Gaear...cough* once mentioned writing an opening set of pop-up windows or a scrolling text thingie to fill in some of the blanks...isn't this a good place to try out one of these ideas? Might eliminate some confusion, and start this off like a real story...

11. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Tried the version of the Arena of Heroes mod included in Allyx's package.

It was great to finally find out what the Smith's comment about a book meant. :)

First fight went fine. However, when I go back for the second fight, I am asked if I wish to proceed. I give the "yes" option, and then the game CTDs. Tried it several times, and it is repeatable.

So, thoughts?

12. Cerulean the Blue

Lord Spike, you've reminded me of another idea I had for the shop map. Replace the spawner with a visible NPC (IMO female) who executes the money/weapon adjust and a dialog explaining why the characters are there and what they can do there as soon as the PCs appear on the map, like the Elven Noble in the Chaotic Good Viginette. Something like

"Welcome new adventurers! Looks like you could use some gear to get you started. Well, you've come to the right spot! Welcome to Adventure Outfitters! We specialize in all the armor, weapons and clothing a begining adventurer would need. Please feel free to peruse the wares of the traders here, then come back and talk to me when you are ready to begin your adventure."

This NPC would then also have the dialog to send the PCs to the appropriat starting viginette.

I will do the work for this if people want it, though if we want voices I think someone else (cough:ShiningTed) could probably do a better job than I.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  13. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Just loaded up the version of Ted's 1.2.0 + Shop Map v.2.0 that Allyx provided. Liked the Knights of the Round Table pre-made party and saves.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I assume this occurred because "Arena" isn't yet finished?

@Spike and C-Blue: good thinking, the both of you. A few more such exchanges should get this thing resolved.

15. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

c blue great idea ..

two questions is there an xp sp2 /viz agp 4X8X issue i need to worry about*i have dual ops so i can pure 98se it if i need to..*

also any mods out that extend to story or accomodate the ability to go to lvl 15 or 20??
    and or any plans for a TOEE2 continuation*fan driven since i hear troika isnt likely to do it*

Our Host!