Potion of Hiding & Potion of Sneaking do nothing?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Rudy, Mar 15, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

So what spell list will they go on? Can you leave the "Level:" line blank in 589 Resist Fire.txt so that noone will ever be able to learn the spell?

Also, thanks for crushing my dreams about the Mirror Image potions. :( I guess technically you can't brew them based on the 3.5 rules, but I made them anyways, lol. They work fine.

2. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Yeah, you can leave it blank. Don't delete the line, just leave it "Level: " Just tested it, and it's perfectly fine.

Sorry about the dreams :)

3. marc1967

I'd like to suggest the following, for the sake of keeping things consistent with the way things are currently done in the game.

All spells that will be used for internal purposes have the name "(INTERNAL)" added to them in spell_enum.mes. This would apply to the spells you made for Resist Cold, Resist Acid, etc. You see this convention used in most spell not usable directly by a spellcaster, for example:

A magic item: Potion of Haste (INTERNAL), Boots of Speed (INTERNAL)
    A creature special ability: Vrock Screech (INTERNAL), Glabrezu Summon Quasits (INTERNAL)
    A non-magic item with a capability: Armour Oil (INTERNAL), Antidote (INTERNAL)​

Using the '(INTERNAL)' marker not only keep things consistent, but creates a visual queue while itemizing non-spellcaster spells in spell_enum.mes, and while looking at entires in protos.tab.

Don't feel like you have to do this. Making the change in spell_enum.tab is simple, but I know it's an enormous pain to go into protos.tab and change all the names in there. If you do do this, I think it would also be good to add 'Potion of' to the start of the name, just to clarify the spell is used for a potion. So "Potion of Resist Cold (INTERNAL)" would make things neat and tidy.

Also, I was looking at the spell rules for spells that are used for potions, and they seem to just leave out the School:, Level:, and Component: line completely, which make life easier. For example 702 Potion of Haste.txt looks like this:

Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Touch
    Saving Throw: Fortitude
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Projectile: No
    flags_Target: Range
    inc_flags_Target: Self
    inc_flags_Target: Other
    exc_flags_Target: Dead
    exc_flags_Target: Non-critter
    exc_flags_Target: Hostile
    mode_Target: Single
    min_Target: 1
    max_Target: 0
    radius_Target: 0

Nothing I suggested is necessary at all, but I think at least for future spells (like if you do one for various levels of Barkskin), you should do it like this. Let me know what you think.

One last thing, I may (not sure yet, still thinking about this) change the name of the potions from using the CL terminology for certain items, to a more descriptive title that's understandable to someone buying/finding the potion. So the 3 levels of Resist Cold would be "Resist Cold, RE 10", "Resist Cold, RE 20", "Resist Cold, RE 30". This makes more sense for potions of Barkskin where "Potion of Barkskin +3" is more understandable than "Potion of Barkskin (CL 6). Maybe put the "CL" notation while crafting, and the game rule notation for the actual name itself. Still thinking about this one.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  4. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I agree with you on the '(INTERNAL)' thing; I'll make that change, it's easy enough.

I believe I will get rid of the "potion of" part, actually, because I intend to use the same internal effect for scrolls as well as potions. However, I think I'll have to leave the ones for fire/electricity/acid with "potion of" because that's how they were originally, and I don't want to take the chance there is something else internal that is triggering those effects.

Not sure about the notation in the item name; I'll leave it as CL for now, and reconsider later.

5. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Cat's Grace, Owl's Wisdom, Fox's Cunning, Bear's Endurance, Shield of Faith, Protection from Evil/Chaos/Good/Law, Barkskin successfully made into potions.

Working on Blur, Delay Poison, Displacement, Gaseous Form, Greater Magic Fang, Lesser Restoration, Longstrider, Magic Fang, Negative Energy Protection, Protection from Arrows, Rage, Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Sanctuary

6. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Oh, and I should note, marc, that in order to separate potions into different caster levels, it is necessary to create an internal spell; otherwise the caster level of the creator will just overwrite it. At the moment, there seems to be a severe limit on how many different spells can be created (I've been unable to get anything working past id 801). This means one has to be very selective about which potions get different caster levels created for. My inclination would be to do it only for those potions which become notably more powerful, as opposed to just longer in duration, at higher levels. Such as 'Barkskin'.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've done mass find/replaces in protos.tab with Beyond Compare. It's much easier than dialing up each proto individually in WorlBuilder, and BC has no corruption issues saving the file.

8. marc1967

I agree. I was going to suggest being selective due to that limitation. For example, I would pass on the 5 Endure Element's potions even though they would make the list for completion, because I don't think it's worth using 5 spell slots for them..

EDIT: Rudy, question, when you made the spell for Potion of Barkskin, did you change anything at all in the code from the original Barksin spell?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  9. marc1967

I think for this case though you could almost just use Notepad with CTRL-H.

Find: 'Resist Cold'
    Replace with: 'Resist Cold (INTERNAL)'

But I love Beyond Compare, one of my favorite programs of all time.

10. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

For the replacement, I use TextPad. It's notepad, but better.

I haven't made the potion for barkskin; there are some potions that already have entries in protos.tab and description.mes, such as potion of barkskin, that for whatever reason are not included in the craftable items list. It's easy to add them to the craftable items list, but I plan to test them all out, in case there is a reason they were not on the craftable items list.

11. marc1967

Item Worth:

Are you using the Brew Potion price OR the DMG 'market price' for Item Worth? Most of the time they are the same but they can vary quite a bit.

I notice a lot in the original protos they use the DMG market price. Enlarge Person is set to Item Worth = 25000 in the proto which is the DMG market price. But this means when you go to brew an Enlarge Person potion it will cost you 125 gp, when it should only cost 25 gp (like other first level spells, Cure Light Wounds).

I'm thinking of converting all mine to Brew Potion price, which will make vendors sell it really cheaply, but I think I'd rather have the crafting price right.

12. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

For potions I create myself, I'm using the standard potion price formula, which is:

50 x spell level x min.caster level.

So,

1st level spell: 50gp
    2nd level spell: 300 gp
    3rd level spell: 750 gp.

I haven't altered the prices for already existing potions, such as the enlarge person potion you mention. I'll have to look at my DMG when I get home to see why that spell is unusually expensive. The only justification I can think of is that the spell may normally have an expensive material component.

EDIT: Dropped longstrider from craftable potions I was adding, as I realized it is a personal spell.

As an aside there is a very good reason for not making personal spells into potions: the ability to access personal only spells via scrolls is by far the best reason is invest in Use Magic Device ranks. The best use of that skill is the rogue activating a scroll of mirror image, for example, that otherwise a rogue could never have cast on himself

13. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Ah, figured out the enlarge potion issue via google. The price of 250 is a holdover from D&D 3.0, when the effect varied by caster level. Caster level 5 was the max effect, and so the potion was priced for caster level 5.

Given that, one can justifiable drop the enlarge potion price from 250 > 50 as a 3.0 > 3.5 edition fix.

14. marc1967

Yep, that's the standard. But Enlarge Person is 25000 in protos.tab, and there's no Material Component except powdered iron, so I changed it to 5000. Also, read your message after the one I'm quoting here, so I'll go with the 5000.

Well, one of the potions that originally came with the game is Potion of Glibness which is a personal spell, so they broke the rules from the beginning. I may make a few exceptions for personal taste. :giggle:

Also I'm trying to confirm the prices for higher level potions like Heal. Does the formula still hold? So Heal would be 6 x 11 x 50 = 3300gp? Or is there a new way of computing that value once you setp beyond 3rd level spells, which I think is doable by a Prestige class or something.

15. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

The formula should still hold; though, I caution against making potions above spell level 3 craftable; there is no way to craft such potions under the core rules. The prestige class you are referring to is from an unbalanced splat book, as I recall. Your decision, of course.

Thanks for reminding me about Glibness; I'm inclined to remove it from the craftable list since it shouldn't be craftable. Still, that would probably just annoy everyone but me, and it's not doing much harm, so I'll likely just leave it.

Plus, it requires taking Brew Potion as a Bard; that deserves some reward :/

Our Host!