Post your stats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shiningted, Nov 19, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I should leave this to whatshername or GA82 to reply, but I'll bite. For what it's worth.

If I can even be understandable when in caffeine withdrawal. :blegh:

There are all kinds of takes on what intuition is, and your's is one of them. But not everyone believes that intuition is based on sensing. Some think that it's actually a
    more primal (if that's the word) form of intelligence, one is that is more a type of
    knowing than sensing. I can't explain that...not enough intelligence, I guess. I'd
    hazard a guess that means some type of connection happens, but with what I don't
    know.

Some philosophers have tried to address it. Bergson and Jung among others. The
    Meyers-Briggs temperament test separates intuition from sensing, too. (You can
    find this out from google.) I'm going to try to do some reading on Bergson, but
    have given up on Jung. His thinking is too circular for me to comprehend.

What I do know, and it backs up your take on intuition in some ways, is that the sense
    of smell is situated throughout the brain...if one is born without a nose, one doesn't
    have a brain, either. Not the cerebral part, anyway. Intuition may be situated the
    same way. So sensing may indeed be what intuition is.

Edit: Well scrap that idea. There's a fallacy. Just because 2 things share some properties doesn't mean they function the same way. Sorry, Gaear.

If you visualize Bergson's rubber band idea, his concept of intuition actually makes sense.

It might explain how idiot savants do their thing as well.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I will simply agree.

The something that told the woman to stay off the elevator was her brain. Was it based on something already in her brain? I say yes. Wisdom? Uh...

Wisdom informs Intelligence, and Intelligence informs Wisdom. I don't like saying they are different things. But, in the game, they are. Perhaps this is a way of addressing the fact that there is more than one type of intelligence.

When people tell me they are "streetsmart', not "booksmart", I still won't give them any money. They are only fooling themselves.

The first true sign of "streetsmart" is they get the hell off the street.

3. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Ok First my stats
    Str 8 I can't bench press very much but I can carry pretty heavy objects for miles without stopping.
    Dex 8 I used to play alot of sports but after two years of sitting behind a computer I'm pretty siezed up
    Con 12 I don't drive so I walk more and faster than most people. I do a lot of hill walking so I have plenty of stamina over the long term
    Int 9 On a standard IQ test I probably score just above celery. But I have a university degree and work in a techically demanding job.
    Wis 13 I can usualy see the big picture and work out in advance the probable results from various actions.
    Cha 7 to 14 I certainly don't stand out in a crowd but in small groups I usually end up in a leadership roll.​
    Alignment NG
    Character class Fighter/ cannon Fodder

4. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

There was an interesting documentary here last year where they followed the development of 3 babys born into 3 classes of wealth.
    The couple who were at the bottom of the social order almost had their child taken into care because they were barely able to look after themselves, and the child was deemed to be at risk.
    The production company got someone to come in and teach them some life skills.
    ie how to clean up the flat and to take out the garbage regularily.
    The mother was able to apply her new skills and kept the baby.
    Subsequent iq tests showed the father to be marginally retarded.
    But the mother had above average intelligence.
    She had been so failed by her parents and the system that she was functioning well below her abilities.
    So very smart but with little wisdom.

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I originally answered Maalri's question based on THIS. I did not answer based on Ted's directions. I have now corrected my answers above. The premise here is that your charecter should be based on objective criteria, rather than self-estimation.

Once upon a time, in Cepheid Variable, we tried to figure out a way to produce character stats based on our actual selves. I can't really remember all of it very well, and it was based on AD&D 1 rules (I think) and it's kind of simplistic:

STR - # lbs can military press 10 times in one set / 10

INT - 10 + .2 x (IQ - 100) [Stanford-Binet]

WIS - 10 + (Age - 20) / 5 (MUCH argument over this one) In this thread also.

DEX - # seconds can stand on tip-toe (heel off floor) on one leg - no touching - average for multiple attempts - 18 max (everyone got good at this)

CON - # of laps around football field track in 30 minutes

CHAR - voted on by other players

Any stat that was "unknown" could be 10.

I think the idea was ripped off from a Dragon magazine article, which I have never seen. It's kind of stupid, since you play D&D to get away from being the loser that you are.

I don't think this thread is where this should be criticized. (And it SHOULD be criticized.)

6. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Just to touch on the intuition thing....

IMHO, most of intuition is indeed subconscious and primal in nature. These are "race" memories, hardwired into our genetic makeup, passed down through milllions of years of development and evolution. The fact that we "react" to certain people/situations/places without any apparently "logical" reason to do so, is a prime example.

The reactions we take are based from the information obtained subconsiously from our senses. Think of them as being "starship sensors" on permanent passive scan. When faced with a situation where it's reasonably apparent that there's danger, our senses go to "active scanning". This is where we bgein to actively listen and look at our surrounds for signs of the perceived danger.

Intelligence and wisdom help sharpen our intuition so we can better recognize the warnings our senses our giving us.

It's our own races' inbred defense mechanism.

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

One additional thing about the "personal" stats....

One thing that didn't appear to be mentioned in this matter is the fact that "adventurers" regardless of their starting stats are going to always benefit from "stat increases" due to adrenalin.

Think about it.... Adventurers are faced with "life and death" situations all the time. In those kinds of situations, the body will respond with an adrenalin burst, the "fight or flight" syndrome. This would give most people increases in Strength and Constitution, not dexterity, per se, but Intelligence may be slightly affected. (beneficial by product of increased blood and oxygen flow to the brain).

And for the sake of continued argument, this post presumes that all other races (Elves, Dwarves, Haflings) would also a similar adrenalin rush, as well.

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

9. Emirkol the Chaotic

Good point! :thumbsup:
    At first I was going to disagree, but thought about it a little more. For example, someone fleeing for their life would probably benefit from the adrenalin boost to DEX, say if they we're climbing/leaping over fences or other obstacles. (Think action movies, but that's stretching it a bit)

In the Palladium and Rifts RPG's, Mental Intellect was one of the attributes, followed by Mental Endurance. Mental Intellect could be used as an amalgamation/combination for INT, WIS, and Intuition, but that would would be getting away from the DnD theme/base of the discussion.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Actually adrenalin causes coordination to go into the toilet unless you've got a great deal of prior muscle memory training, so dex would go down.

Int might go down as well, as people in fight or flight situations get tunnel vision and don't really 'think' in terms of higher brain function.

Str and con would likely go up temporarily for inexperienced fighters, but professionals with a lot of training (as our adventurers should be) would have conditioned themselves to suppress that, as for the reasons indicated above it's not really that beneficial. It's better to fight intelligently and strategically than to wildly flail about with haymakers et al for 10 seconds and then collapse from the adrenalin dump.

Heh, I wish ToEE did that for barbarians: have them turn red and go crazy at first and then fall over after one round. Getting to stomp on them when they're down would make their auto-criticals tolerable.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I agree with this, as a person who likes hunting learning to control the rush you get when stalking your prey is a must otherwise you can's shoot straight or start doing other silly things like not identifying your target. I've seen some people who are normally great shots miss easy targets because their heart was going to fast.

Altho something I do at work to make things easier, is to listen to music which fires me up, like for example when I have to push a barrow of concrete up hill, to get the adrenaline going. I spose you could put me in the group with more professional fighters in regards to controlling their adrenaline, I wouldn't say suppression, but more like learning how to ride it and not letting it burn you our quick. I call it the rage you use for tightening screws.

12. maalri

maalri Immortal

Darn- Valid points Cujo and Gaear...

Hmmm... perhaps it is just up to the person as to whether they benefit or lose from the adrenaline... but most probably do lose DEX, and PERHAPS INT or WIS...

SO much for one theory....

Our Host!