Post patch 2.0 and mod pack 3.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Crichton, Jun 5, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Why is that being reported here? I noticed that problem once the first time I tried to load a quicksave, and never used those features again... But that's somthing only Atari could fix, not the fancommunity.... Bloody Atari...

2. silvannus

silvannus Member

I know the engine problems cannot be repaired with a new script, but as Atari is not releasing any other patch I thought we wanted to know all the bugs, sorry if I was wrong.

EDIT: I'll try to post it in Atari, thanx Morpheus.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  3. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

@silvannus: By any means, continue posting bugs you encounter.

After all, the thread title says "Post patch 2.0 and mod pack 3.0 bugs", and not "Bugs that Co8 might be able to fix". I mean, there are people who have posted about raising the level cap in this thread (*cough*), even though that's not a bug at all but rather a design decision ...

Steve Moret from Troika is working on a third patch, and he might be able to resolve some of the engine related issues.

It might be a good idea to post these bugs on the Atari boards as well, though, there is one thread in particular that has been started expressly for that purpose:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=387432

4. miserychick

miserychick Member

My follower is still looting Senshocks bracers of armor. He has two sets, and she was looting whichever one was the higher number, +5 I think.

5. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

@miserychick:
    Yes, you're right. The OIF_NO_NPC_PICKUP was omitted here. I really was hoping Shin had covered everything and since nobody said anything for the past half year or so, I thought it was ok...
    Must have also missed this one when I rechecked before implementing in v3.0.

Anyway change Col50 in protos.tab for:
    {6115}{Bracers of armor +5}

OIF_IS_MAGICAL

to:
    OIF_IS_MAGICAL
    OIF_NO_NPC_PICKUP

and things should work out alright. Thanks for the notice.
    :thumbsup:

6. Goongyae

Goongyae Member

"The only problem is that Atari seems to have their control and tightfist dial set to "Nazi," which sucks."

Actually the problems began when they took the Improved Clenched Sphincter feat.

7. gygaxian

gygaxian Member

I am using Patch 2.0 and the latest Co8 patch.

A couple bugs I noticed in Emridy Meadows:

1) Skeletons threaten with missile weapons and make attacks of opportunity against adjacent targets. Only melee weapons should threaten AOOs.

2) unarmed strike (punch, non-monk) did not count as blunt for bypassing skeleton DR 5/bludgeon. Don't recall what type of damage it was, but the skeleton took 5 points less from the punch.

3) Halfling sorcerer is not proficient in quarterstaff.

4) Halfling is not getting +1 racial attack bonus with sling.

5) True neutral Halfling sorcerer could not select druid as an available class to level-up in.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  8. zhuge

@gygaxian:
    1)Yes, I've seen that bug reported elsewhere before. Seems to occur with crossbows only(?) Not sure where the problem lies but if it is a crossbow entry in protos.tab which needs correcting then it is possible that we can do something about it.
    Anyone want to tackle this one?

2)Hmm... not sure about this one. What damage type does unarmed damage for non monks show up as then? (if not bludgeoning)
    Or do you mean that it does do bludgeoning damage but somehow it doesn't overcome the DR?

9. Aerothorn

Aerothorn Member

Ok, I am thinking of installing the Co8 patch, but have a question:

Will it considerably make the game harder? I mean, I like things working and balanced. But if the game was designed, dificulty-wise, to be played with, say, the unbalanced Scorp guy, will this make it really hard? I'm pretty good at computer games but, due to not entirely understanding the rules and not being great at strategetical planning, I've never been that good at the party-based D&D games (I never finished Baldur's Gate II because I found it too difficult, one of the only PC games where that has been the case). To balance out my sucky skills (I don't want it really easy, but I want to be able to play without reloading every battle 8 times) I rolled two all-18 charecters (A rogue and a druid). So far the game is doing fine, though admittedly my only combat has been the Dekou woods and the Enrimty fields (where I couldn't defeat the hill giant without my druid's familiar getting killed, but I don't think second level parties are supposed to be able to take him). So overall it sounds pretty good, though a lot of the changes I don't entirely understand, since I get almost all the basic concepts of D&D but the intricacies elude me. But if it makes it all super-hardcore, I'm a little hesistant to apply it.

10. zhuge

The changes are meant to make the game play fit better with 3.5e rules which is indeed a common aim for Troika and for the modders. That being said, I hardly think that the changes make the game harder.
    In fact, if you choose to buy Masterwork items from Hommlet and craft many enhancements you might even find the game considerably easier. This is however entirely up to the player. The Masterwork items sold by Brother Smyth are meant to be a choice for players who cannot find a Masterwork counterpart for their favoured weapon in the game. They are not meant to be abused early in the game. It is therefore an optional download in the v2.0 modpack which features an installer. As for v3.0.3, you can simply choose not to use the modified Brother Smyth dlg file.

With regards to Scorpp, I fully support the changes made by Shin because Scorpp was too powerful an ally if you recruit him. We have therefore chosen to nerf his AC and other stats so that they follow 3.5e rules for Hill Giants more closely.
    My own changes which enables Scorpp to use his Club instead of Wonnilon's Crossbow is also I feel a logical change (which Giant with 20+ strength but low Dex would use a small crossbow with less damage?).
    By no means do these changes make the game unbalanced. In fact, IMHO, these changes give the game a more realistic feel as well as adhering to 3.5e rules as closely as possible.

11. zhuge

3)Known bug. Please see bug 406 in bryce777's numbered buglist
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388146

4)Known bug. Was in the list of bugs I compiled:
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335222

5)That's a new one. Have you checked your Wis score. Is it high enough? Any other factors which might prevent having this class available? Is it 100% reproduceable?

I'll see if anything can be done about 3)
    The others are beyond my abilities to fix.

EDIT: I can confirm bug 3) but it doesn't seem easily fixable. The size for {4214}{Small Quarterstaff} is correct (medium). Tried with Halfling Monk, Halfling Fighter and Halfling Druid. None of them were proficient in the Small Quarterstaff.
    In the weapon type column, it is correctly listed as a quarterstaff.
    Maybe it is an exe problem... halflings appear quite problematic so far - no hide bonus, no racial bonus to slings/darts and now this...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  12. miserychick

miserychick Member

I keep getting a CTD whenever I try to take on the camp of bandits in the Water Node. Not sure what all is wrong. Sometimes a couple characters get to take a turn, but it always crashes before the first round of combat is over.

13. miserychick

miserychick Member

Also, (and this may have been mentioned before) when fighting the Balor (or any other critter that does fire damage to an attacker) with a CG character wielding Scather, I get an AOO when I take the fire damage, but he doesnt actually take it, and instead just sits there locking up combat. The only way to get out is the Ctrl-Alt-Delete to desktop.

And I'm almost sure this has been mentioned before, but either Shocking or Freezing Burst weapons are dealing Negative Energy damage instead of what they're supposed to be doing.

14. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Probably already known, but...

Three members of my party are permanently silenced.

I read somewhere that this is caused by walking into a pre-existing Silence effect and failing your save.

Trying to decide whether to go back 5 hours of playtime (hadn't saved for a while and didn't notice for a while) or just shelve the game until it's fixed. :(

There's nothing more tedious than replaying sections you've already done... especially when a lot of it was town/courier work.

15. elohir

elohir Member

Bug with Protection from Evil, Magic Circle Against Evil

Neither Protection from Evil nor Magic Circle Against Evil work properly. According to the PHB and the SRD they both protect against mental control, yet the Balrog can still successfully Suggest a PC and have control over that PC while PfE or MCaE are still in effect.

Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment.

I too had the game lock up after either scather or frag did their return damage

I also had the game shut down when trying to take out the bandits in the water node.

Our Host!