Portrait Packs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Oct 5, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You mean for use in another game?

2. Terion

Terion Member

Yes, for example. Or to change the portraits.res simply without making mistakes. Or to mix some of those ToEE portraits with other ones in one pack ;)
    Because i also like some of the TOEE portraits but i cant get them anyhow.

3. Gaear

As indicated above, there will eventually be a portrait pack of sorts that makes it easy for players to add custom portraits. (The holdup on this atm is the 'easy' part.)

What do you mean by "i also like some of the TOEE portraits but i cant get them anyhow" ?

We won't be making portrait packs for use in other games, but if you want to do that yourself, it's easy enough to get access to ToEE's original portraits by use of the .DAT extraction tool available in the downloads forum.

4. Terion

Terion Member

Okay i downloaded the dattool. It is easy to handel but i cant see the dat.files in any order where the portraits could be in. They are maybe invisible ?

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The portraits are in Toee4.dat. Toeeroot/data/art/interface/portraits is the path.

6. Terion

Terion Member

I created the art folder, the interface folder and the portraits folder, but there is no Toee4.dat. Then i started the original game and created a character. But still there is no dat file with the portraits in the path u mentioned.

But i searched for the toee4.dat in my whole ToEE directory and found it in the ToEEroot :twitch:

I extracted it with the dattool, but the art folder there doesnt contain a interface folder and so there are no portrait files too. Could it be, that this toee4.dat file in the root belongs to the mod because there are also TOEE1, 2 and 3 dat files ?

But nvm i obviously dont have the toee4.dat with the portraits somewhere. What now ?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. wizgeorge

Toee4.dat comes with patch2, so if you have patch 2 it should be there.
    Sorry, wrong info. The portraits are in Toee1.dat. Oops. Toee4.dat has some artwork, but no portraits.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. Terion

Terion Member

Yeah. After i posted the message above, i tested the other Toee.dat files. The portraits are in the Toee1.dat as you corrected :yes:
    Now i have them. Thx to all :hug:

9. maalri

maalri Immortal

Since I do not believe I have said so yet in this Thread...

THANKS GAEAR and all other Modders involved for making these packs!

The BG one works perfect for me :) It had all the additional picks that I really needed, for the time being, and the ones I regularly use. I believe I can add the other packs later, and there may be more, like a Royo pack made up to, is that right? Maybe I'll add them if I ever feel the need.

One thing I notice, and I really hate to be a downer after sincerly giving you props, but the pictures seem out of focus a little, not enough to truly detract, but just enough to know they aren't perfect, so it annoys. It is just on the Head shot pics (the same ones you choose when choosing a picture for your character).

But, again, THANK YOU for the WONDERFUL WORK on this!!

Sincerly.

10. Terion

Terion Member

But the portrait limit in the orginal is 48 and in the mod 84 right ?

11. Gaear

Vanilla ToEE was limited to 42 portraits. In our current modded state, there is no practical limit to portraits.

Note that you can't install portrait packs cumulatively. e.g., you'll either be able to have the BG pack installed, or the ID pack installed, but not both at the same time.

That's a thus far unavoidable limitation with custom portraits for some reason. I supect that the engine actually enlarges the mugshot versions slightly, and with a tiny image (47x53 pixels), you're bound to get some blurring if you do that.

At any rate, great pains have already been taken to make them as clear as they can be. The original versions have been sharpened and adjusted for brightness, contrast, and color to look as right as they can for ToEE.

12. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

What would I need to be able to use them both? How would it be done? I'm not asking for it to be done for me as I realize that the plate of the eight is already full enough, though if someone were willing to give me some pointers and answer questions when asked, I'd be willing to do it myself and upload them for use by the community. Thanks for everything, TLO.

13. wizgeorge

I'm kind of confused by the statements that there is no practical limit to portraits but you can't have BG and IWD at the same time. What is the reason for not having both BG and IWD? Lots of entries in portaits.mes for sure. I'm not doing the typing. Too lazy.

14. Gaear

You can't have two different portrait packs installed at the same time. If you wanted to make your own portrait pack that contained all the BG and ID portraits together, that would work, but Co8 doesn't offer such a pack because the association of two separate games is too arbitrary. (i.e. it may seem fine to some but others may be horribly offended.)

To clarify the portrait limits, there technically is a limit for PCs that could be reached by adding a bunch of custom stuff, but it's not a factor if all you're wondering about is if you can squeak in 96 instead of 84 or something like that.

The easiest way would be to wait for the 'portraits made easy' portrait pack referenced in this thread.

15. Terion

Terion Member

So in fact u mean that the portrait limit differes from PC to PC. The one can match 100 portraits in the mod, the other crashes by an exceeding of 90 portraits. All in all the mod doesnt have a portrait limit, it depends on the PC the mod is installed on.

In general it is possible to put for example BG and IWD portraits in one portraits.mes to play them in the mod but u havent done it because portraits from different games could cause a "horrible offend" as u said. Making two different packs in one can be done with your "portaits made easy".

Did i get everything or is there still a misunderstanding ?

Our Host!