Pencil and Paper

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whatsername74, Sep 22, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

Yes, it's where it all started. The first time I played, I was seven years old.

And I was hooked.

Ten years later, I miss it terribly. I used to play with my dad, but he's just so busy all of the time now. I tried playing with some freshmen boys, but that didn't work out, as they were all tripping over themselves; they weren't used to having a girl just hang out with them and play the game. So, I pretty much never play it anymore, which is why I'm such a ToEE junkie.

My first character was a human female wizard named Serena. In my first adventure, she was killed. Basically I let a white dragon talk me into hanging out with him, and he killed me.

I'm just interested in hearing some noteworthy experiences you've had or particulary outstanding characters you've played.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

3. whatsername74

WOW we'd have some kick-ass adventures with all the great people we have here! Too bad most of us are spread all over the place...

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yeah, I didn't know shit about DnD before I found this site - now I've got a couple of books. I'd love to have a game but I think Ted is the closest person I know (and thats another country) to where I live, so I guess it would be a webcam game.

5. Lord_Spike

People like the ones here are a good argument for making a multi-player on-line version of this this thing. Otherwise, all we'd have is NWN to do it with. Blech!

:p

6. macros

macros Lawyerjoe

how cool would that be? if this game were multiplayer online? :)

i've been playing pencil and paper dnd (dating myself horribly) for 22 years now, since my freshman year in high school. i still have all the books and stuff from way back. never sold or got rid of anything. me and my younger brother and whatever friends we could rope into it would play all day go to bed, wake up and play all day again. in between playing we would read all the fantasy/swords and sorcery books we could lay our hands on.

we still play as much as we can. although for various reasons we have taken a couple years off at one period or another in those 22 years, we have a regular group, and try to get in a game weekly. now that our group is older, have real jobs, and some have spouses and kids, its get a bit difficult, and the 24 hour sessions have turned into 2-4 hour sessions.

we've decided that the day after thanksgiving, when all the wives are shopping, we are doing an all day session again. pizza, beer, and juvenile toilet and sex humor will again reign supreme!

favorite pen and paper story: god i dont know. so many to choose from, which i think is the best part of the game. just a lot of cool fun and funny bonding moments with friends.

heroic moments like when my paladin was facing certain death, yet was the last man standing of the party in a fight against several demons. and he rolled natural 20's 4 times in a row, dealing criticals and taking out one demon a round. i would have been happy to die at that moment, if i went out like that and saved my friends.

funny moments like when my friend's fighter finally was able to afford the warhorse and war dog he always wanted. he named the warhorse Zok, proudly, as he always wanted to name something Zok. first round of the very next combat, the warhorse gets killed right out from under him. pissed off, with a loud proclamation, on the field of battle he renames his wardog Zok. same battle, 3 seconds after the grand renaming, the wardog bites it. the name Zok was never used again, except against our enemies, in the hopes it would kill them as quickly.

i have nothing but good memories from pen and paper dnd. it helps foster creativity, critical thinking, and friendships, to help make life better, and gives a nice escape for when life sucks.

i posted earlier on another thread about getting together to do a modding session with anyone from the ny, ct, nj usa area. but if anyone would like to get together to do a pen and paper dnd session, that would be cool as hell too.

joe

7. whatsername74

Well, I live in NY.. But som,ehow I don't think my parents would be down with me hanging with a bunch of guys that are all about ten years older than I am :p

Actually, I don't even know how I'd function in a PnP game... I believe I've forgotten ll the rules

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  8. Lord_Spike

Your dad would have nothing to fear...'cause hopefully, he'd be there playing right along with us! I'd willingly skip the lowest forms of humor to have a good PnP game. Too bad about 500 statute miles of I-95 separates the lot of us. I'd give a "camera & internet" game a run, but that's going to be only slightly better than play by e-mail with all the lag we'd have doing it...
    :(

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Hmm. You weren't playing a chanter in EQ of the same name a few years back were you? Think it would have been Saryrn server.

If it is you, then I'll fall off my chair in shock.

10. Lord_Spike

What are the odds of that being so? 1 in a billion? If it's true, then somebody here needs to buy a lottery ticket!

11. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

well i haven't pnped much...may have played rifts more than dnd at this point, but i did just start playing in a game once a week. best story so far:

there are 4 of us all level 2, i'm a cleric, we have a fighter focusing on archery, a half-elf barbarian that is probably the most sophisticated illiterate barbarian ever, and a war mage.

we are in an orc camp. we kill everything but whatever is in one building. the archer tries to kick the door twice and fails. the barbarian and i try to break it. then the war mage charges through it almost dying after being attacked by the two orcs inside (had -8 hp). at the end of the battle the dm tells us we should have just tried the handle. yeah it was unlocked. this was made worse with all the terrible rolling that was happening. two people rolled ones and then to see what happend on the fumble charts rooled a one.

12. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

i havnt done a PnP game in years. use to play 2nd ed but i got rid of all my AD&D stuff and D&D stuff sometime ago but id always love to give it another try. be it AD&D, D&D, GURPS, MegaTraveler, Battletech or Twilight 2000 id love a change to play any of them again :) . but as Spike said there is probally alot of road between us all.

13. whatsername74

No, Zeb, I don't think so. At least I can't remember if I was XD

14. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Okies. Is Serena a popular name for female types playing RPGs or something? Only a man could call his Inky cleric Bangaz N'Mash :yes:

15. whatsername74

I picked the name Serena because that was Sailor Moon's name. :yes: I have always been the loser I am today.

Our Host!