Pathnode and User Interface Watchdog Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Daryk, Dec 31, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Here's a mellower inventory screen. Thinner box lines and more muted gray letters.

MAIN2.jpg

2. Gaear

In case no one is watching the modding forum, new character UI screen and buttons. Some stuff has moved around a bit, by necessity, but I think this is the best yet.

46_char_ui_main_window_inventory_c.jpg

3. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Yes, I've been watching, thanks! The only thing I'd even consider suggesting at this point is seeing if title case "Primary'" and "Offhand" would fit. I'm pretty sure "Initiative" won't.

4. Gaear

We can actually get pretty much anything in there we want, but at some point the letters lose their capacity to appear crisp and clear.

5. Gaear

Example:

stat.JPG

I suppose you have to weigh the disadvantages of having small text against having incomplete text. I could go either way.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Myself, I don't mind the small text due to using a large screen.

Is it legible on say, a 15" screen?

7. Gaear

What would actually affect that more is whether or not you're using your monitor's native resolution. If you're not, the image (the entirety of the game display) is distorted so that the chosen resolution actually matches the dimensions of your screen. That tends to turn fine detail into mush.

A person playing ToEE on, say, a 15" monitor at 1024x768 resolution would actually see a significantly larger image than someone playing on a modern monitor at its native resolution. They just see much less of the playing area at a time.

All that said, monitor quality and image size will affect the legibility of small text. It's legible on my 1680x1050 monitor, for what it's worth.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

My 40 inch took a crap today, but the Mrs was OK with me replacing it with a 47 inch.

I really like the big screen when gaming. :)

These latest GUI tweaks will be in the next version I'm assuming, yes?

Not trying to rush or anything, just curious. ;)

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Thanks, Gaear! I personally like the smaller text vice the abbreviations, as it's one less thing for new players to wonder about.

10. Gaear

Yep.

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I just got to the point of crafting in version 7.8, and the magic cloak colors are there in all their glory, but the orange ones have something odd going on with the word "Cloak" at the beginning of each line. The rest of the text is clear, but "Cloak" looks like it has another "Cloak" superimposed a pixel or two off.

EDIT: Aha! It's not "Cloak", it's "Blue" from the "Light Blue" on the line above wrapping around.

12. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

The guisarme's long description is too long in 7.8 NC (about 4 lines too long).

13. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Scather's description is also too long in 7.8.

Do you still want these posted?

14. Gaear

At this point it's not really necessary, as the description box will be expanding significantly in 7.9. However, it would be good if players continued to post other oddities about the UI - goofy buttons, backed up text, etc., etc.

15. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

On the topic of pathnodes, there is an annoying one in Hommlet: if you try to walk from the church to the jeweller by going to the south side door, you have to guide your characters round the bottom of the jeweller's house, because it doesn't register a path there until you get right up to it.

Our Host!