Patch 3 crashes me to desktop Help please

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ligur1, Aug 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ligur1

Ligur1 Member

Hi all.

I am completely new and tried doing a search for this but could not find anything. So I just got the game and ptached it. without patch 3 the game runs fine but I can not loot. As soon as I install patch 3 (it says it fixes the problem for DirectX 9.0c) my game doesn't even start. It crashes to Desktop right away.

My system is pretty good. 3GHz pentium, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP home edition.

Please please help me if you can. Is there anything I can do?

2. Ligur1

Ligur1 Member

Yeah so, I read some of the posts and I saw some of the fixes, so I went to try to get a no-cd crack and it gave me a horrible virus, so now I have to reinstall my xp system. Luckily I just had to do yesterday since THE SAME VIRUS infected me from another site. AVG and adaware nor stinger could get rid of it. Spybot was no good either. I have no clue if this is a new virus or what but I'm not downloading any no-cd cracks that people don't know are safe. Still can't loot even with the 5.0.0 co8 mod. I must have gotten the bad version of ToEE that has the big .exe file or whatever.

Any help would rock but I'm so bummed. I love ToEE and now I can't play. what a bummer.

3. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Read Comprehensive ToEE Installation Instructions by Zebedee

Basically, if your copy of ToEE isn't prepatched to Patch 3, you only want to apply patch 2. And we don't support no-cd utilities, but the large no-cd utility is, to my understanding, not good. Also, there have been several recent threads about the current AVG (and other antivirus programs) corrupting otherwise good installs. I have had this problem myself -- supposedly deactivating AVG Resident Shield helps.

--thearioch

4. Ligur1

Ligur1 Member

But if I only install patch 2 I can't loot stuff. I even loaded the co8 mod but still can't loot. It is a real trojan though. Because what happens is that adds begin to pop up for virus removal and my administrator settings change. For example I can't see drice C. So someone else is admin at that point. Same virus twice. My problem is the looting.

5. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

If you follow the installation instructions carefully and install, and then launch the co8 mod 5.0.0 after installing patch 2, you should be able to loot normally.

Basically...

ToEE + patch 2 = no looting, no co8 bug fixes or new content
    ToEE + patch 3 = looting but no co8 bug fixes or new content
    ToEE + patch 3 + co8 mod = looting, but plenty of problems because installing the co8 mod on top of patch 3 is not supported, and glitches are highly likely to happen (and are known to happen) when the co8 mod is installed on top of patch 3.
    ToEE + patch 2 + co8 mod = looting, plenty of co8 bugs fixes and plenty of new co8 content.

The co8 mod contains a fix for the 'no looting' problem that people otherwise exprience when using patch 2. If you installed patch 2, then installed the co8 mod, and are still experiencing the 'no looting' problem, then it means you didn't install something correctly.

A little hint: it might actually have to do with your no-cd. Try running a game without any no-cd at all and see if that fixes the problem. Given that you installed everything correctly, it should.

- Agetian

6. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Another issue could be is that patch 3 can leave all sorts of legacies on your system which return when you reinstall the game.

May I suggest, and use it with caution - and make sure you read the notes and understand how to save the old registry and then put it back in should things go wrong - a programme called CCleaner. http://www.ccleaner.com/

It ensures that you have a clean install so run all 3 of the cleaning utilities. But, again, though I personally have never had the slightest problem in 4 years of using the programme, your mileage may vary. Please at the least ensure you save a copy of the registry before trying to fix any issues which ccleaner may identify and read the instructions so you know how to put the saved registry back into place should things go wrong.

Our Host!