Party NPC level progression

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Goreng, Aug 1, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Goreng

Goreng Member

That simple and people wanted hide me it? :stoned: Thanks and yep sure I'll try and yep I'm sure I'll find fun to see which NPC is idiot and which one isn't! Anyway I'm not a partisan of powerful characters.

Two more questions about your suggestion :
    - Should I restart a new game?
    - How I know classes and classes levels of a NPC? Not only when I recruit them but afterwards.
    - It's much more complex to get back the original looting without to lost other NPC improvements bring by Co8?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

You can also deduct their stats (even figures at least) from their skills and combat bonuses (ex: disarm device for Int, etc), and when they level up you can see the exact stats ;)

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

No-one was hiding anything, you could have used the search function in the forum to find this very same advice given to someone else who also wanted NPC's to level up themselves - admitedly it was a long time ago, but still... Here is a link.

You shouldn't need to start a new game, but it might make the NPC's in your current group level up in an especially weird way.

You could download & install Phalzyr's ProtoED program and use it to look at the levelup.tab file and see for yourself the classes, feats, skills, ability point advancements etc for all NPC's.

Also with the level cap removed it is entirely possible that some NPC's will gain more levels than the levelup.tab file can handle, IIRC it can handle a maximum of 10 level up's, but you could get NPC's upto level 14 or more in normal gameplay, I'm not sure what effect this would have on the game.

4. Goreng

Goreng Member

It worked nicely thanks. I don't get back the full looting ha well I think I saw most major variation of the original game (emo, inn mage, inn thief discovered or gipsy when slave, mage and fighter in tower, perhaps gnome spy, all other seems to have the same looting except some obscure variation related to encumbrance, some seems stop looting of heavy stuff at first level of encumbrance but not sure it's true for all).

About possible problems to use the default levelup file, there's eventually the new npc added by Co8, currently I'm using the apprentice wizard. I'll take care when she first level up.

To avoid possible problems I got back to a save file just before 1st levelup of a party NPC.

About level above 10 I'll see, anyway I suspect many problems there without multiclassing. In my first game I finished at level 6, I hope I could finish the evil party before level 10, but well the first finish I got was quite brutal with many stuff not done and obviously Co8 add stuff involving more xp.

5. Goreng

Goreng Member

About get back original looting, I searched and just got one thread really about it, someone asking how to get back this with an older version of Co8 but no answer, I suppose it's too complicate.

6. Goreng

Goreng Member

About the original design for NPC all people says that it's too boring but I didn't felt it so much like this. After many replay I can understand you prefer control everything and don't get bored with looting otherwise it's quite playable.

- I saw NPC stop looting at first encumbrance level and for some that occurs quite fast. That level of encumbrance didn't make them useless.
    - For the inn mage you are warned about scrolls looting. If you don't have any mage in your team that could be roughly ok. Even with another mage in the party in practice you have to learn him spells and using spells found for that and buy other for the other mage is roughly ok. Also in practice he didn't get the scrolls all time, I tried few strategie to try pickup stuff in cheast without him seeing it and seemed to work some times. Finally I discovered the sample trick to remove him from the party, get the stuff in chest and get him back in the party.
    - For NPC selling stuff you gave them, you could just gave them what you want they keep like a secondary weapon, remove the NPC from the party and get him back then he won't sell the stuff you gave. Ok then the NPC is stick with them and that can be boring later.
    - You could get 2 or even 3 slave or sort of that doesn't loot at all.
    - There's also emo who's not boring about looting.
    - You could buy many beers to fill up their inventory but not sure why it worked for me as it seems that one merchant buy them.
    - At least you could give them a few item that no merchant buy in order to be sure to keep a free place for later.
    - That said I admit that I also cheat a little time when a NPC picked a magic item useless for him. And in the long run, as it works, it's not a feature you'll want to keep after some plays.

7. Goreng

Goreng Member

But by removing the levelup file the Co8 NPC works badly, no crash but not clear which level up done, perhaps a default fighter. Ha well give up, either I go without Co8 mod either I should keep all Co8 choices.

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

That almost sounds like a complaint. We did warn you that NPCs leveling themselves do so in the most confusing way.

9. Goreng

Goreng Member

A complain? I already mentioned that I would prefer something different than what made by Co8 about leevl up and looting, if you want name that a complain, why not?

Co8 not supporting auto level up I'm not surprised that the Co8 NPC doesn't work at all with auto levelup restored, that isn't a complain. I gave look to the file with the editor you pointed, it's just a garbage, there's probably a gigantic perhaps not possible work to fix the auto level up for each party NPC. That principle of a pre defined levelup is so simple, how they suceed to make it so complicate?

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

yep...can't emphasize this one enough

We make mods and integrate mods that we as a community believe are fun and are also good for improving the game, balance and rules and whatnot. Now, if you want to see something more or different, ask for what you want or would like to have in a Co8 MOD. It may or may not be modded and, if modded, it may or may not be integrated in to a Co8 MOD. People who visit here at Co8 abide by our decisions according to whatever final decision is made. We all accept the Co8 final decision whether we as individuals like it or not. We may voice our dislikes and, opinionatedly, state what we prefer, but in the end, we all fall in line as a group in terms of the big picture.

Try writing a process flow chart showing the decision making for every possible choice that the game engine would have to make for autolevelup. You would have to include making choices for all related feats and similar skills at every level, spells or other special abilities and whatnot. The game was originally coded for some levels above level 10 even though it was capped at level 10. So, you have to include all of the choices for everything above level 10 at levelup. Now, do all of that for each class to train through level 20. Then, tell us how simple it is to make.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
Our Host!