Party NPC level progression

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Goreng, Aug 1, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

From my point of view, "I" am not my party leader. I am the guy sitting at my desk, in the overseer role. My party is a a bunch of characters I created, running around in a world that at best they should be seen as having grown up in, no more or less part of that world than the NPCs I add to the party during the game.

I don't dismiss the idea that a CRPG could be a Roleplaying game with the creators of the game as asynchronous DMs; that's a cool model, and one that the best CRPGs sometimes manage. I just don't see ToEE as carrying off that model. Maybe that's something we could work on, but it would mean a major reworking of every joinable NPC in the game to bring it about.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I agree with you to a certain extent but I'm not certain that carries through to the NPCs. The NPCs should be as independant as possible from player intervention. There are plenty of issues with joinable NPCs and I certainly think that we need to have a good discussion on how best to implement them in all aspects. if nothing else, it will help game balance a great deal.

3. Old Book

I don't disagree entirely, I'm just not sure that I'd bother taking any NPCs in ToEE if I couldn't control them as well as PCs. There needs to be some trade off that makes them worth the effort beyond a shiny magic sword for talking them into joining.

I was thinking about what keeps me looking at ToEE differently than I looked at Planescape or BG1&2, and I think it comes down to the level and type of NPC interaction.

The NPCs show a little bit of personality in ToEE, especially in the lead up to joining for Meleny, death cries, and a few other exclamations and dialogs here and there ("Be on the lookout for stupid people"). Still, it's nothing like the amount of personality we saw in the BG NPCs, especially post mods. ToEE NPCs don't initiate dialogs with the PC save on a couple of area triggers, the PC doesn't get many choices in his brief dialogs with NPCs, and most of the NPCs don't really have an agenda that comes out in the game even when it's there in the module.

A full ToEE NPC Project, like the BG1 Romance Project or the various BG2 NPC projects, with dialogs, new music, scripting etc would be a huge improvement to the game, but it would also be a massive job.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Pretty much agree with you here. Why would anyone take Spugnoir - especially if he nicks every darned wizard scroll? We need to have a community discussion on how to take the game forward but as you say, it's such a big task, it will probably have to wait until after KotB is done, dusted and polished to a fine sheen and then when the active modders have had time to take a break from their hard work on KotB.

5. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Well, I too think that they should be improved... and
    be controlled just like in Baldur's Gate... You could do almost
    everything with them, except for taking their family heirlooms,
    & etc. I also agree that they should react to what the players
    are doing, especially when it's something they don't agree with.
    What they need is fleshing out, just like OB said. The other thing
    that would make them useful is not screwing up the game by not
    being affected by dialogue triggers...

6. Goreng

Goreng Member

wizgeorge throw me the game doc in the face, so my answer is accordingly to this doc, compared to the doc it's a bug that they don't level up themselves any more.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I guess we've come back to one of the classic ToEE conundrums: the NPCs basically suck ass (although many of the good features OB mentions were a result of Ted's Playful NPCs), but to make them significantly better would be a herculean task.

Well, in theory the trade-off would be that they enrich the playing experience like in BG. But they largely don't, so I can see your point that they might as well just function as another variety of PC. But why not just create your own then? They may not be very fleshed out, but they do have an agenda larger than your own - Elmo and Otis as spies for Verbobonc, Zert as a spy for the temple, etc. That's at least something.

8. Old Book

The documentation is lying to you.

9. Old Book

Yup. Call it at least 4-5 new extended dialogs per NPC, plus scripting, and maybe even 1 added quest per NPC.

And yes also to the nod to Ted's playful NPCs, which brought out a lot of the little personality that was there to start with.

Fair enough, and I usually do. I only really take Mel and sometimes Otis and Elmo these days (Mel because the developers had time to make her at least a bit interesting, Otis and Elmo for their roles in Desperate Housewives). DH did a lot to salvage those characters for me. I briefly ran through with most of the NPCs right after playful NPCs came out.

10. Goreng

Goreng Member

You don't know the rule? If a bug is in the doc then it's a feature. :eyebrow:

11. Goreng

Goreng Member

No I disagree, BG is just an example of party NPC system, not the only one that can be good. In BG you had only one PC so the solution for this game to have party NPC almost as PC is logical. But I played various different systems, if as much time and money than put in BG series has been put in those alternative I bet they should has been even more fun.

ToEE is obviously an unfinished game, empty areas, wide outside area with no details, later area in the game that become a little repetitive, too many big bugs, many weak interface design choice, and so on including unfinished party NPC system.

12. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I didn't say you have to have only one PC... but I meant the
    full control of NPCs... Though it would be cool if you could
    decide whether you want to have as many NPCs as you want
    without the need to change it in the Front-end or run the game
    solo, or with your own party...

13. Goreng

Goreng Member

Ok but just fix the auto level progression of some of them is so tough to do? I feel a little frustrated to have explored the original system only in one game then switch to Co8 and lost an option to get previous NPC with some level up fix and some improvements but still have the original looting and auto level up. That should be only an option. In fact the Front end help let you think that because it mentions that Humble NPC bring no more loot and manual level up but it doesn't as it's in default Co8.

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Goreng, by all means try out the auto level option...

Open your ToEE root folder (C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil) open the data folder, then find the levelup.tab file (it's probably in the rules folder, but maybe in the mes folder) and delete or rename it - this will revert the file to the game's original version.

Then load up your game, recruit some NPC's and remind yourself of the idiotic choices NPC's make at levelup time. ;)

15. Goreng

Goreng Member

I quote BG because it's one rare CRPG that put a lot of time in design of party NPC. I'm sure that I'd love alternate systems where you don't have full control of party NPC. Even if I never saw any CRPG with party NPC so much polished than in BG series, I saw other systems that really shine despite quite minor in comparison with BG series.

When you already have 5 or 6 PC it's more than enough and then NPC joining the party could be much more NPC. The only point that they shouldn't be NPC is if the fights are quite tactical then it's probably better to have full control on them during fight, all movement and action and eventually weapon switching and eventually ability to lend them some fight items (potions, scroll, summoning items, and so on).

Our Host!