"Party Leader" meaningless?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by LocutusX, May 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

Greetings,

I've just started a game of ToEE.

The first thing that struck me is that the person I choose as "party leader" (left-most PC portrait; there are no NPCs in my party yet) does not seem to make a difference.

Walking around Hommlet and clicking on various things/NPCs with the entire party selected ("Select All") results in a random party member going up to the object and interacting.

Even worse, in the Inn, if I manually select the party leader (by pressing "1") and have him talk to someone, at the end of the conversation, PC #1 is unselected and PC #3 becomes selected (or #2, or #4) for no apparent reason.

Is this a known bug or might I have mis-configured something in the game?

Thanks.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Hmmm. I'm not certain how you are patched/modded but party leader does make a difference.

IIRC random encounter enemies spawn at a distance from your party leader.

Certain 'events' will also be targetted on your party leader if you are using Livonya's mod.

As for the issues in the inn you are having, that's downright strange but I've not seen it in my game

3. NoFlow

NoFlow Member

I too have encountered the switch in selected party members....
    I have noticed that the selected party member corresponds to the last dialog option selected.
    If this is a bug, it is a minor irritation only. Perhaps the masters of our gaming universe could tackle this when they are finished making the rest of the game safe for us non-modders....

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

This problem occurs when you talk to someone and use the keyboard shortcuts (1-5) to select dialog options. Unfortunately the game also changes the selected character when you press one of the number keys.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The steady way to get your party leader to do all the interacting is to right click on subjects and select whatever action from the radial menu. With the entire party selected, right-clicking will always default to your party leader.

6. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Ah, that would be why I never get the problem - I can never remember the keyboard shortcuts so don't use them 8)

7. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

Ah, that makes sense now.

How about a random party member doing the interaction whenever "select all" is enabled (usually the closest member to the particular object)? This is probably a known bug, I guess?

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

When u select the whole party, the nearest person does stuff - talks, opens doors etc. not a bug, just the way the engine functions. u may have an issue later if the nearest person is an NPC - u get no response cause they won't do that sort of stuff.

Obviously (as u have probably figured by now) the person with the best social skills (intimidate, bluff, diplomacy etc), probably your rogue, should be doing the talking. Just get in the habit of clicking on their number before doing anything. If your rogue (or whoever you want to talk) is the third dude in the party, get in the habit of clicking on the '3' key before talking. Put your beefiest fighter at no 1 - well, I do anyway.

9. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

` = select whole party
    1 = select party member #1
    2 = select party member #2

and so on.
    What happens is that when you talk to someone, if you use the numbers to choose conversation option instead of clicking on them, then it switches to the party member corresponding to the number.

Also, when you have your entire party selected it does NOT use a random party member to talk to people. For most interactions, its just the nearest. I think though (not sure) that when you select they are selected in order, that is either dictated by the order in which you shift click them, or by the order you drag select them. If party member X was selected and you tapped ` for whole party select, then party member X is the first to be selected and would be the one to talk.
    If I remember correctly, if you select party member #2, and then click on ` to select everyone, and then click on a person, party member #2 will go talk to him.

You can use it to your advantage.

All in all, there really isn't a party leader. Nowhere does it say someone is the leader. You personally control them ALL. And many random events target the closest character, but sometimes they target the first party member (sometimes they target something else.. for example, there is an assissin that pops next to your weakest caster and attacks him/her).

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Actually, Liv has said with her mod she has been changing things to where NPCs will interact with the party leader whenever possible. There's only a few instances I've seen it happen so far, but it's there.

11. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Random encounters spawn near the lead character every time.

-EE

12. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

ok, i understand. now my question is regarding the "formations" feature.

it appears to be possible to set up a Rogue as character #1 ("party leader"; although I understand that concept doesn't really exist) but with the Formations setup to make sure he is always near the back, with the 2 Tanks (PCs #2, 3) always at front.

is this optimal? or should I just move the rogue to position #3.
    someone mentioned that Random encounters always spawn near PC #1. I guess this would kinda screw up my plan (so it's better to have a Tank as #1 character, *always*?)

comments on this topic (optimal formations/party order) are welcome ;)

13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I usually adopt a diamond shaped formation with my healer in the middle behind him, my wizard and Zaxis, in front I have my two tank fighters, my rogue out to the left, and Wonnilon out to the right, and my rangers animal companion on point.

...........---------Tgt--------...........
    ..........|............................|..........
    ..........|.............AC...........|..........
    ..........|......Ftr.........Rgr.....|..........
    ........Rog............Clr..........Wnn.......
    ..................Wiz........Zxs................

This way my cleric can protect/buff all allies when he cast magic circle vs. evil, and isn't too far from any other character if they need healing, the animal companion is cannon fodder anyway but a jackel speed means if you travel far, the jackel will get there first and give advanced warning of an encounter before the pc's trigger combat, the wizard needs to be at the back Zaxis I use mostly to heal characters while the cleric is tied up and use inspire courage, my rogue and Wonnilon as they are set wide apart you can use them to flank and sneak attack any "problematic" foes with reach weapons with out attacks of oppertunities for moving through a threatened space, just move them straight forward then move to attack "pincer movement" style.

Our Host!