Party Composition Advice

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by TiamatReborn, Jun 14, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

Tiamat-reborn - sorry for the highjack in advance :D

Moralgay - You have inspired me to new heights of awesomeness.

My proposed party, still being written and generated:

Kyrie - White hair - F/H/Paladin
    Voice: Pious
    Role : Leader
    Function : Scythe Master (looks other way)

Kenshiro - Black Top Knot - M/E/Monk
    Voice : Nature Dweller
    Role : Auxillary Beats
    Function : Dexterity based fighter

ManServant - Bald - M/HO/Fighter/Barbarian
    Voice : Undecided, probably stupid
    Role : Grappler
    Function : Oiled up grappler. Uses spiked chain to great, slippery effect.
    Special notes : Maxed size for a half orc - and as naked and ripped as possible while maintaining reasonable armor. Grease + Enlarge Person + Rage = Oily Man love!

Carmen = Pink Hair - F/HE/Bard
    Voice : The girly mod one from BG2
    Role : Support/Wannabe thief
    Function : Feinting Rapier master, focus/critical/power crit etc

Nall - Cat - F/(Cat)/Sorcerer
    Voice : High Pitched Magician
    Role : Status Ailments/Ray Fighter (zappppp!)
    Function : Halfling character modded to look like a kitty. "Collar" of armor to be sought. Empower and heighten/maximize spell will be used to put scorching ray into every spell slot. 30 Scorching rays before resting? Count me in!

Bow - Orange Mullet - M/D/Ranger
    Voice : Gruff warrior
    Role : Gruff Archery
    Function : Dwarven archer with a 17 con?? Not only can he tank your pants off, he can shoot them off as well!

Evil Anna - Black Hair - F/H/Cleric of Nerull
    Voice : Darley
    Role : Keep the living dead under wraps, overall evil
    Function : Evil anna, while not massively charismatic, is clever enough to trick her way into the party - past the ever vigilant spider senses of Kyrie. A neutral character, worshiping an evil death god is one that wishes to maintain a balance. :roll:

Al' Cemyst - short brown hair - M/G/Wizard
    Voice : Gnome
    Role : Apraiser, tinkerer, crafter, super wizard extraordinaire!
    Function : He makes shit, and gets paid squat to do it!
    Special notes : Short as gnomishly possible, wizard hat and robes!

My army of rejects is done!

I guess i'm stuck consoling amulets of fang since I wont have a druid. I'll throw money down the well in exchange, and only take them at level appropriate times dont worry!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  2. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

*Grin* Thanks ShadowDeth. I'm really honored!
    Yep, those sound like a wicked set so far! Lol, most creative :D
    If using Grease I also recommend getting a Freedom of Movement item/spell etc so you can get in the thick of things, tho Freedom might have some bugs.

Naw, I think it's more fun seeing a Barbarian/Fighter with those feats lol. A monk would be more "logical" cause have it naturally without needing the Int 13 req (which -2 on Orc might cause issues with) or Combat Expertise, but I just love your idea of Fighter/Barbarian Grappler who rages with a Greatclub or Chain whip :D. Tho if you're using bare hands as well... in that case you'd probably need to go monk as the base damage for non-monks is going to be very low 1d3 or 1d2 unless using sap, but still only a 1d6 light weapon (a club would be medium tho). It'd be great if this game allowed you to take 1 level of Barbarian then rest Monk levels for Raging Grappler, but alignments cause a conflict and I'm not sure if you can change your alignment in playing TOEE to thus qualify, never tried. Then again, if you buff him from a dedicated Wizard/Sorceror they could also cast Rage on the Monk... ;)

A cat looking halfing! :peace: lol You rule bro!

P.s: REINTRODUCING THE SNIPER CLASS: We all know attacking from invisiblity robs victims of any dexterity bonus (blink too I think) and many of us know that "Touch Attack" and "Range Touch Attack" spells ignore all AC except Dexterity to kill High AC Heavy/Natural Armor folks... but did you know they can be combined? Near unavoidable Ray from Invisiblity. And did you know that in normal AD&D A Rogue still gets SNEAK ATTACK bonus from Ray attack Wands? :D Like Scorching Ray? hehehe. Yes... near unavoidable fire magic based sneak attacks... now to test if it works in TOEE as well :D

3. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

Its very possible. Rays are considered "weaponlike" spells in this game, so I dont see why you could specialize in it and apply ranged feats to it, but not sneak attack. The real question is: Does sneak attack apply to ranged attacks at the moment in the game? Ive never used throwing daggers or shurikens with my rogues.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

5. moralgay

Oh HELL YEAH SPIKE! :D
    That's so uber!!!

ShadowDeth, the other post has gauntlets in 5.0 alpha, protos 4703
    weapon feat type they use is greatclub.

Now we can enchant damage type on them! Too bad tho they don't count as Unarmed and Greater Magic Fang spell/amulet won't work although the latter might be unbalanced actually... (+5 Fang Amulet is already equal to a +3 weapon and +2 dam vs +3 weapon with 1d6 dam type)

And yup, range attacks definitely do sneak attack, do it all the time with my Rogue/Bard's Crossbow (it's why I got Rapid Reload too), but need to be in 30 ft or less (perfect for Point Blank Shot) or within six 5-foot steps. Just keep in mind you can't flank with a ranged weapon so if you want it every attack (yup I've done it) possibly use Blink or Greater Invisiblity or Paralyze/Hold your victim. You can also get it from sneak of course.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  6. TiamatReborn

TiamatReborn Member

Yikes. I went away for a while, come back and find my liddle itty-bitty post has grown so much! As for the high-jack, I'm high-jacking this back. (My goal is to turn this into a single giant thread on character advice, then maybe get it stickied) Some questions though:

1: What is a monk actually good for? He can sneak like a rogue, but doesn't have any sneak attacks. He can fight, but misses out on all the fun stuff weapons offer, (especially once you start enchanting things). From NWN and Icey, I seem to remember that all the really cool Monk abilities don't kick in until quite late levels, when you get Spell Resistance and 20/+1 DR. What does a monk offer in ToEE that would make you chose one over a basic fighter? (I use fighters as my benchmark meleers, and Wizards as my Benchmark casters).

2: One a similar note, Who's a better archer, a ranger or a fighter? Rangers get the nifty styles, with a few free feats involved, and Favored Enemies (probably Goblinoids and Humans seem to be the most common, with Demons for high levels) gives them a decent boost. and you do get a little animal companion, but I personally hate having things in my party that I can't directly control. (Makes for much easier fire-balling.) Fighters on the other hand, get a parcel of bonus feats which can be spent on all the bow things, plus weapon specialization, which kinda makes up for the lack of favored enemies. If you make a dedicated Archer, which is better? For that matter, do you get a rogue and just hope for sneak attacks?

3: Druids: Worth it or get a cleric? So far I've played one game with a druid, got all the way up to Hedrack and then my computer failed (Damn you MICROSOFT!!!). Frankly, I wasn't impressed. The spells seem to be somewhat lackluster. Clerics can heal loads better, and Wizards/Sorcerors can fricasee the opposition much better. For some reason, I could never summon anything, (weird bug, I have no idea), and the animal companion's sole task seemed to be to get in the way of lightning bolts from my wizard. As for Wildshape, she still seemed significantly less capable of killing things in melee then my Barbarian or my Fighter. Druids have remarkable versatility, being kinda like a watered down cleric, a watered down wizard, and a watered down fighter with a hint of ranger, but in a five/six person party, isn't it better to get one really good fighter / cleric / wizard, instead of a weaker substititue for all three? Or am I just completely missing something about druids? Who uses druids, how, and why?

Throw in your two cents now!

7. TiamatReborn

TiamatReborn Member

The moment I figure out what you said, I'll be sure to do so. Though I'm not sure I want to.

8. moralgay

TiamatReborn: Please read my posts above on Monks capabilities especially in regard to sneak stun fisting spellcasters out of a fight or easy victory.

Ditto concerning the debuffing and stratgetic offensive abilties of druids. e.g: Spike Stones.
    And how to avoid animals from rushing it... put them FAR back.... -_-. Read above for one of many good Druid builds.

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Every party should have one, a solid tank character, namely, a Dwarf Paladin. (j/k)

10. Pygon

Pygon Member

My favorite party combo to date:

Elf ranger, archery, with Longbow +2, Strength mod +2
    Half-orc fighter/barbarian, greatsword specialization (sometimes used a glaive)
    Druid (mostly healing, some party and animal buffs, some nukes)
    Sorceror (haste, nuke, debuff, etc)
    Bard with healing spells, high armor class, debuffs, and mirror image to assist in tanking

I spent a lot of time recalling animal companions, but it had a fun flexibility to it.

11. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Why doesn't anyone want to play a nontrivial game? *confused look*

12. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

1. As for best archer, I think a fighter/rogue combo is best... get up to 4 levels as fighter (for specialization) and as many as you care for rogue. Better BaB, all the nifty fighter feats, and combined with either a ring of onvisibility of the spell improved invisibility (plus elemental weapons), can dish out huge amounts of damage before the enemy is even aware.

2. Am I the only person who thinks that the Bard's fascinate song-skill is awesome? I've nearly always used a bard in my parties... they are natural communicators, get some nice spells (and can heal) and have some nice spell-like abilities when they perform... dunno. I used my Bard to great effect by having him fascinate bosses (even demons in the nodes) while the rest of the party positioned themselves nicely to dish maximum damage, or cleared out the henchmen...

3. For a tank, I think that Fighter/Barbarian with spiked-chain is difficult to beat...

Our Host!