Oversight Committee?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kalshane, Nov 30, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I take it you haven't hit the General Discussion boards lately. Agetian posted his formal semi-retirement from the site. He won't be around enough to be on the committee.

2. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

Hey, I'm the official bitch-atter. Got that? >:O

:p

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Try walking a mile in my shoes wizgeorge, and see if you still say that.

We are not talking about individual mods by individual modders. People have always been able to make and post whatever mod they like, no matter how munchkin, unbalanced or broken. This will not change.

What we are talking about is the official Co8 releases. Co8 is a unique gaming community in that it releases a community effort mod. By rights the community should decide what goes into the Co8 mod and what doesn't. But the community has a hard time making these decisions in anything resembling a timely manner.

Right now what goes in and what doesn't is pretty much decided by one person: me. I try my best to listen to the opinions of the key figures here, and the community as a whole, but in the end I am the one who makes the decision. I do not think that is right, no matter how good a job I have done so far, and I would love to have some of that responsibility taken off my shoulders in a real and official way. When the flak starts coming in (and it always does) I would like to be able to say "Well, the committee decided ... " rather than say "Well, I took all the opinions into consideration and I decided ... ". Do you see the difference?

We have always tried to keep the the Co8 mods rules compliant, and to a lesser extent tried to stay within the storyline. Now we are faced with game balance issues as well. These things require guidance from the more experienced people and modders in the community, and decisions to be made by the community. With Agetian in semi-retirement, we no longer have the luxury of adding new options to Front End, and install options are proving to be problematic, so even tougher decisions are going to arise in the future. I may not always be here to filter through all the opinions and make the decisions, and I would feel a lot better about it if there was some sort of structured, official body with real authority to make those decisions for the community, instead of just me.

Mind you, even though I have felt all I do for this community has been taken for granted from time to time, I enjoy doing it, nor do I mind making the decisions. I just don't feel like I was ever given the mandate to do so by the community. I just stepped up and did the things no one else was willing to, and kind of fell into it. I feel now is the time for the community to give that mandate, and for other people to step up and share in it and the responsibility it entails.

[EDIT] I had to retype this whole post from memory do to an unfortunate accident. I know it is not exactly the same, but hopefully the general gist is intact.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

@CTB So far you've been very fortunate and
    wise(?) with your decisions. The only thing
    I don't like about the Co8 release is gnarley forest
    because it gives the player an ability to get an uber
    weapon, otherwise it's great (gnarley forest and Co8).

@CTB and whatsername's neologism. It hasn't been
    defined yet in the urban dictionary (handy thingy I must
    say ;)) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bitch-atter
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

That particular weapon being in the Gnarley forest was something I was against. Others made that decision.

6. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

1) Bitch-atter: One who bitches at other people. (c. 2006-2007, United States [?] slang)

;p

7. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Just one more thing about that gun, I mean it would
    be fun if it had only one shot and if it were obtainable
    only by means of a special, unique encounter (giving
    it a little of a "Falloutish" taste. It's a Troika, that is
    post Black Isle game, isn't it? ;))

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its more a Boot Hill than a Fallout weapon.

That weapon is, in fact, a very good reason why certain things should be discussed in committee. I am more than happy to hold out at great length why it should be included, although I acknowledge many people will have strong oposing views.

In any case, there is an option of rewards that can be given to the player at that encounter. For memory, you have to skip the 'give me a reward' dlg option and prefer the 'are you all right ma'am can I be of assistance' root to get the weapon: eg, all people have to do to NOT get the weapon (but still be rewarded) is try role-playing their evil or CN parties.

9. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Well, that's why there's "semi-" in the word "semi-retirement". ;)
    Adding new options in the Front-End is definitely available to you, guys, as long as you can stand the fact that I'm a slomo right now (as far as coding and ToEE goes - it's the real life where I have to think fast and act fast right now ;)) - just PM me what you need me to do and I'll write it down in my todo list. The thing I can't promise is fast action, but I'll definitely remember your suggestions and will update the list of Front-End options as soon as I get some time to work on the source code.

- Agetian

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2006
  10. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I asked Gaear to do it but that was long before a lot of the more recent stuff came out when CMF was more of a clearing house for things ready to go into the next big patch. So mea culpa.

Here's another nomination for Blue to do what he's already doing but with official community backing. Blue's list of people is cool too so I nominate all of them too. :kiss:

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I accept. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  12. Agetian

I know it's kinda late, but I was busy all this time and had no time to read threads in detail... :( Anyway, I accept the role in the Oversight Committee but I'm afraid I won't have enough time to work there for some time. But anyway, I'll help in any way I can.

- Agetian

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

There was some further discussion of this during a recent and surprisingly well-populated IRC session, and many of us seem to have come to a consensus that it should happen, with the particulars being that the committee be comprised of eight members, with C-Blue being allowed to cast a second deciding vote in case of ties. The committee would decide on the suitability of all new mod submissions for official releases, beginning with everything from 5.0.1 and onward.

Within the framework of those guidelines, and given the recent flurry of modding activity, I'd say we should do it.

@Ag - I think you would have to determine your availability up front. If you're still too busy to appear here fairly regularly with your input and votes, it would be best to hand off the job to someone else for the time being until you get freed up. Otherwise things might get a bit clustered.

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@Gaear, is that a round about way of saying you accept your nomination?

15. Agetian

It clearly depends on how much work the oversight committee will present. ;)
    I'm still quite busy but have finally found some time to work on the toolset, and may find some time for other things as well, but not too much of course. So, I guess I'll need some more information on what exactly will be necessary (a PM is OK here), then I'll be able to say my word.

- Agetian

Our Host!