Outdated modpack discussion

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by LarkinVB, Mar 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. NetWraythe

NetWraythe Member

Re: Current mods & patches

Try going to www.gamecopyworld.com and looking in the index (its there, look hard) under "T". They have the no-cd crack for version 1.2.

If you cant find it, email me at netwraythe@gmail.com and I'll send it over to you.

2. Larathiel

Larathiel Member

1st post here.

I played ToEE when it first came out (bugs and all) and thought I'd play thru it again now that co8 and company have fixed it up.

However, I'm running into a problem. Rather than playing with a full party, I started out going thru with just a single character in IronMan this time. No problems thus far except when I have NPCs along (or add additional PCs from the book in the Inn). As soon as I try to open the Inventory/Character sheet on anyone other than my original character, the game crashes to the desktop.

I followed the patch order that was followed in the sticky thread:
    1st official
    2nd official
    co8 3.whatever
    moebius

I'm already committed to playing thru with just a single PC, but once I remembered how tough it was to get decent magic items in the game I figured I'd try to bring a mage and a cleric into the fray simply for the purposes of crafting my lead hero some better equipment. Sadly that's a bust with this error.

Any idea what's going on?

3. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

No idea, but, don't play Ironman.

For what it's worth, I've played through about dozen times with Patch 1, 2, Co8, and Liv's mod, and the only place I ran into a serious problem was the fire node. So, the setup works, if done as directed. Ironman has always been a risk in ToEE, as any crash can cost you a game.

4. Orrin Oakenshield

Orrin Oakenshield Member

Your problem sounds similar to one I had a long time ago in a galaxy far away...
    Anyway, the more information you can provide, the better the 'experts' around here will be able to help you.
    Are you using the origional CD?
    Or a CD crack?
    Are you using any other modifications?
    I have discovered some mods need to be installed before other mods or some files get really messed up. Like the protos.tab or the temple.dll.
    Every 'little' change could have a bearing on whatever is going wrong.
    I have been 'helped' enough to know...
    Now, this ol' dwarf is gonna help himself to a mug of ale...;)

P.S. Old book, I have always played this game in Iron man mode, maybe that was why I had so many probs, but now that everything is running smooth, I am enjoying it more because it 'feels' like when I was playing with a campaign group when I was younger...and with the new voices, I even have stupid comments at strange intervals. All that is missing is the sound of dice rolling...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  5. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

I don't reload to win fights, I don't cast Raise Dead, and I use Point Buy. I agree that making the game more challenging raises the fun factor. Still, Ironman puts you at the mercy of every bug and crash; I'm not willing to deal with that. ;)

6. Orrin Oakenshield

Orrin Oakenshield Member

Old Book,
    I undersstand completely. That is why I gave up on this game for half a year or so.
    As I mentioned soemwhere else, TOEE was one of my favorite modules to rpg in, 25+ years ago, so I came back here to see if I might be able to make another go at this game.
    Glad I did, becuse with the innovative Livonya's mod & fixes, I am really enjoying it. The only thing is, I make sure I backup each save. When I have a major glitch, I have a backup to fall back to. Used frequently in the past.
    I am now doing the temple quests in this run through the game, and I have not had to use a backup yet. Maybe I have hit on the perfect balance of mods... I dunno, but I have no complaints. :)
    This ol' dwarf never thought he'd be happy without something to complain about...

7. Larathiel

Larathiel Member

Orrin: I'm playing with the CD in the drive. In fact, I actually just purchased a 2nd copy so that I can run it from both home and work (when it gets slow). The crashes occur on both computers and they have vastly components in them (AMD+nVidia vs. Intel+Intel).

The only other modification that I've used isn't even a modification to the game itself. I've used the character editor (that only seems to work w/ newly created Ironman characters) to edit my PC and give her the same ability score that I rolled in my PnP campaign. (The entire appeal of ToEE to me was how close its implementation of D&D 3.5 was to PnP play.) This includes extra feats from the mastery of several "Oriental Adventures"/ d20 "Martial Arts Mayhem" martial arts styles, some extra skill points to reflect that her PnP sub-race allowed additional class skills and 1st level HP equal to her CON score (house rule my groups have used for ages).

When I got crashes simply trying to load my saves from work (where I started the game) on my home system, I copied the entire file structure from work, FTP'd it to my home machine and over-wrote the files installed on the home computer. Since doing so, I've been able to transfer character in between said computers and they load without hanging.

I don't want to hijack this thread so if You guys would prefer to correspond in a different thread or off-list via PMs just let me know. I won't be offended.

Thanks for Your willingness to help. :)

EDIT: Just had something else odd happen. PC was ranger4/rogue4 and advanced a level. I selected ranger, but after I select my 2nd favored enemy by dragging "evil outsider" to the empty box, the button to proceed to the next screen in the level-up process fails to turn from red to blue. Now I thought that since ToEE uses the 3.5 rules that maybe it was waiting for me to assign an additional +2 to either my new choice or the original, but I don't see anyway to do so. Am I missing something or have I stumbled across a dire bug?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  8. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Look underneath the boxes with the favored enemy. There should be a little toggle thingie there for you to increase.

9. Larathiel

Larathiel Member

The graphic for that toggle is not being displayed, however as I click all over the place in the big black void below the box that says "Bonus [ +2 ]" I can hear that there is something that I can click on. Unfortunately without being able to see it, that complicates things greatly...

EDIT: Just tried making a new Ranger and didn't do any character editing (used the levelup command to get to 5th) and now the 2nd box and the toggles are visible. Yay for making it 1/2 way thru the game before realizing You've got a bugged character. :roll:

EDIT 2: Decided to try some experimentation. With the character created above, had Elmo join up, and as soon as I tried accessing his inventory, Crash To Desktop. I moved all of the other PCs out of the Player folder and started another game without using levelup... CTD. So, it appears that the CTD isn't related to editing the character as this was a normal rolled PC.

Decided to edit the character changing only the stats that appear on the 1st page of the editor (i.e. not accessing feats or skills). Changing ability scores, hit points, height and weight did not reproduce the bug at Ranger 5 where the favored enemy screen gets bugged. Naturally the game still crashes when trying to access the inventory of another character.

I'm hesitant to reinstall for fear of my save game becoming invalid but in order to work-around the Ranger 5 bug, I suppose I can just recreate the character and use the levelup command to get the back to where they need to be after doing a character swap at the inn...

Oh well, at least the computer doesn't drink all my wine, eat all my food and then crash on my couches like my RealLifeâ„¢ D&D players. ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I used to call my real-life posse 'the locusts'.

Typical comment (made, afaik, in all sincerity): "I would have brought grog but there's always beer here."

11. Croix

Croix Member

Nevermind, I made a post that addresses my questions. Sorry for the interruption.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  12. offtheboat

offtheboat Member

Hi all,

I just want to make sure if this is a known trival bug or I installed something out of order. Whenever I click on the book in the Wretched Wench the game crashes with an Unhandled Exception error. Not that its important sicne I probably won't be using it but I wanted to check is this can be ignored or is it a sign that there maybe other problems? The order of patches/mods I installed is:

1. Game
    2. Atari Patch 1
    3. Atari Patch 2
    4. Co8 latest mod
    5. temple.dll fix
    6. 6 PC member party hack
    7. Humble NPCs

13. KillerSonic

KillerSonic Established Member

yeah it happens when you change the PC/NPC ammount in your party(nr.6) even if you change it back the game still crashes....

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Is this in the common problems thread? It should be... :giggle:

15. Ecstatic_Chuck

Ecstatic_Chuck Member

Hello all!

Just got the game (bargain bin $10), installed all recommended patches in the listed order and...the game will not play! :anger: The CD is in the drive, I'm running XP, I have a compatible version of DirectX, and what happens is whenever I try to execute the file the CD and hard drive lights flicker for a couple seconds and then a whole bunch of nothing happens after that. :tears:

Any suggestions? Am I missing something due to being up too late trying to get the blasted thing to run? I swear I am not a noob and know how to use my computer! Could it be something silly like the game must be installed to Program Files :evil: (which I never install games to)? Please help? TIA! :)

Our Host!