Our installation situation is a disaster - the saga of Co8 4.0.0

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Sep 18, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Re: Our installation situation is a disaster

Tenets? We have TENETS? Why didn't anybody tell me?! :yikes:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Poll: Shall we keep the tenants, or throw them out? :grin:

Actually I believe your mistaken about those tenets, Ted. Liv broke the mold with her mod, and since then new content has been fair game.

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

About splitting up bug fixes and new content: This would require us to sort through literally hundreds of files, figure out which is which, use several versions of certain files (since some of them contain bug fixes AND new content), etc.

In other words, it's a hell of a lot of work. And someone who plays ToEE now, 2 years after its release, likely has played it already and wouldn't mind some new content anyway.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Thank you Morpheus, I said something similar in my reply to Darkwraith007. And then there are things like my Random Random Encounter Maps mod, which doesn't really fix any bug, doesn't have anything to do with adherence to 3.5 rules, and doesn't actually add any new content, since it was all in the game anyway and theoretically could have showed up. How do we classify things like that?

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Call it what it is...an improvement.

As long as it's in the spirit of things, who cares if it adheres strictly to any one person's idea of how it ought to be? Of all the folks here who ever played the original, I'll bet no two groups played it exactly alike. Call this thing a DM's "fleshing out" of the characters in the village.

Let it rip, baby...who knows what goes on behind the closed doors of sleepy little Hommlett...?

:transform

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That all said, I don't suppose there's much need for the poll now, Ted.

btw, Zhuge came out with "Burne's Puzzles" quite some time before Liv's stuff, and it's been a Co8 staple since 3.0.0 I think . . . so you're in storied company.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

put DH in it adds to the enjoyment of the game, now when I start making soccer holgans wearing Man U jerseys thats over the line. As long as its all in the spirit of things and means more fun then I say go for it.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, I bow to the wishes of the many (like we learnt in Moral Philosophy 101 - "when enough people agree on something, it must be right!" :p) I have asked Agetian to give me a hand with the Ah Fong issue and as soon as its dealt with (and bloody Cuthbert puts some CLOTHES on!) I'll send a final version of everything to, ummmm, Cerulean for his approval (since he was silly enough to put his hand up).

As for the Random Encounter thing, well I would call it a bug fix, surely we weren't meant to play the River Road every single time? But its immaterial, its a fix AND an improvement.

"walking along the river road at night, bare-foot girls dancing in the moonlight..." :headfones :rock: Ahhh, swamp rock!

9. Cerulean the Blue

Thank the gods that has been settled! I was beginning to think I was going to have to start kicking ass and taking names! :D

I am all set to put it together as soon as Ted gets the Ah Fong and Cuthbert thing fixed and gets the files to me. Btw, Ted, the Ah Fong problem sounds like it might have to do with respawning inventory. I also have to look at the portrait stuff Allyx posted. I'm sure I will be pestering all of you with many questions to get the change log and release notes sorted out.

To beging the pestering, do we want to keep the dev_history stuff? It mostly appears to be a record of .dll hacks our exhalted predecessors worked out. If we are going to keep it, we should probably get some similar info from drifter about his fixes. I also have a bunch of questions about the license.txt, but those can wait until we have the release finalized. Have we approached Agetian about incorporating Humble NPCs into Toffee? Do we wish to wait for that to happen? Should we bundle ToEE Extract with the release, or are we going to keep modding tools separate? Perhaps we should make a Modding Tools package that includes ToEE Extract, Phalzyr's ProtoEd and ToEEWB.

And this is just me warming up. I am taking this project seriously.

10. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

hey cujo. its the liverpool crowd you have to watch out for...unless you're an american buying the richest football club .. I like Man U can you make a few arsenal supporters.. as monsters??:).. just dont send them to allyx:)

seriously... as someone who has spent much time and effort on here... to play toee without ctd all the time.. and with some enjoyment . I am very happy to see this effort to put out some coherent easy to locate!!! and use information.....

it also if done well gives confidence in future projects.. such as KOTB ...

as for edit package sure....

the Modding toee for .. almost everyone.. for everyone who isnt going to program his own tool kit..

toeewb toee extract and prototab sound like a good start..

i

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Watch it boy, I've got a +5 Vorpal Katana of Protos Hacking in the scabbard on my back, and I ain't afraid to use it!

Cerulean, just so you know - i've forgotten most of the alterations i've done, but to sum it up - I added those 100 or so items I mentioned (in the Modding Colective thread) and made them craftable, a few small dialogue fixes for Rannos, Gremag and the blacksmith.

<now how do I script it so horrable things happen to characters with @pcname == bradrinwi@?>

12. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I have already addressed this problem and found a solution for it. It has to do with inventory respawn, and a way to fix this issue was posted on the board. Also, I sent the details of how to fix Ah Fong to Shiningted so he should be able to fix it soon.

Sounds like a great idea! Way to go! :doublethu
    - Agetian

13. Shiningted

Its a fabulous idea, IF we have the ummmm rights to grab these things and redistribute them.

Drifter has detailed his fixes here and there. Alas, if only I had time to find them ;) But they're in here.

As for the portraits, I still agree with your idea to release the extra voices and portraits as one pack. So if you like, leave that to one side. One thing at a time :)

And Agetian seems to be dodging the 'put things in Toffee' issue, which may after all be much more difficult than we realise.

14. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

What 'put things in Toffee' issue? Sorry guys, I'm visitng the Circle of Eight quite rarely and mostly track only certain threads right now, since I'm really short on time and I have some critical real-life things to do, so sorry if it looks like I'm dodging something... please clarify what exactly you mean here (or send me a PM) and we'll sort things out.

If you'd like me to add some feature to Toffee or something like that please send me a PM about that, we'll see what I can do.

If you're wondering if you can redistribute Toffee with the package of Co8 4.0.0 or something like that, I give you an explicit permission to do so, provided that you give the appropriate credit to both me and Dulcaoin (as authors of the front-end) in your installation package.

If you're wondering whether you should use Toffee as a front-end for Co8 4.0.0 and are wondering about my opinion about it, I'd say of course - go ahead and use it.

If you're wondering if you can create a combined package for ToEEWB, Proto-Ed, and Zane's ToEExtract, I'd say that I can't speak for Phalzyr and Zane, but I'd say you can include ToEEWB there provided that an appropriate credit is given to all authors of the project, and provided that the functionality of the original distribution is untouched (e.g. all options are still available - all tutorials, manuals, and supplementary tools, including Editor's Helper Script and both revisions of Toffee normally included with ToEEWB).

Thanks in advance for clarifying what the 'put things in Toffee' means.
    - Agetian

15. Shiningted

Well, is it possible to include Drifter's 'Humble NPC's thing as a check-box in Toffee like max lvl-up etc?

And can PC Patcher be fully integrated so we don't need a seperate version of it? (I doubt Dulcaion would mind ;))

Edit: o and in the spirit of the thread, I withdraw the 'dodging' remark. Humbly. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!