Our installation situation is a disaster - the saga of Co8 4.0.0

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Sep 18, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Re: Our installation situation is a disaster

Ah, whatever - no matter how you call it, it's gonna be .NET-based. Period. :)
    A July 23, 2006 release, eh? Well, it's only half a year away from today (well, a little bit more, but that's no biggie)

- Agetian

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Quick Update

I've done a unified installer that supports both ToEEFE and non-ToEEFE configurations. It still needs a little work, though. The release probably won't be ready today as planned. It should be done in 1-2 days.

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Take your time. At the rate I'm going and losing people I'll never finish the game anyway.

4. Morpheus

Release Candidate 3

Release Candidate 3! Woohoo! Scrap the two different installer versions, one ToEEFE, one non-ToEEFE - this is a unified installer that supports both configurations. You just have to choose whether or not you want to use ToEEFE (and again, I strongly recommend installing it).

link removed since it is obsolete now

If I don't here any major complaints about this one, I'll release it as "final" tomorrow.

EDIT: What about some feedback, guys? The purpose of Release Candidates is to test things. Anyone got problems with the installer? Game runs okay?

Changes between RC2 and RC3: I changed a lot of stuff in the installer script for RC3 and updated the accompanying installation instructions, but none of the game-relevant files has been changed.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Question: will an installation of RC3 require a completely new installation of ToEE? I uninstalled RC2 and installed RC3 (with Toffee option), and now I've got some wacky problems. Toffee complains about duplicate directories regarding the "data" and "data.Co8-4.0.0" folders and won't launch. Any tips?

Edit: RC2-Toffee installed fine and seemed to run OK in limited testing.

Edit 2: the only change I've made to the installation is adding the no-cd crack.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Unistalling the Toffee version of Co8 4.0.0 requires some additional steps before you uninstall. You must "unload" the mod by using the following steps:

1) Start Toffee.

2) Select the Unmodded ToEE installation and start the game.

3) As soon as the game is loaded, exit the game.

Now you may unistall Co8 4.0.0.

Toffee moves many files around in loading the different mods you have installed. The last mod you have started is the mod you currently have loaded. Unistalling a currently loaded mod will only remove part of the mod. If you then reinstall the mod, Toffee will detect the parts left from the uninstall, and the reinstalled mod, and give you that conflict message. To unload a mod, just start a different mod using Toffee. To unload all mods, and return the game folders to there original state, start the unmodded ToEE with Toffee.

This is no doubt a very simplistic description. Agetian would be better able to describe what Toffee does. This method to uninstall a mod works, though. I have used it many times.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  7. Morpheus

A very good description, actually. I think we should add this to the Installation Instructions.

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Is there going to be a seperate 4.0 thread soon? I DO have some comments.

9. Morpheus

You're probably right, wizgeorge, we should open a new thread dedicated to the Co8 4.0.0 release candidates. Consider it done! ;)

10. Gaear

Thank you both. :thumbsup:

11. Gaear

Well, 45 days, 10 pages, and 280 posts later I think it's time to put this thread to bed. Co8 4.0.0 discussion has moved to the thread of the same name, so we should be able to safely say goodbye to this one.

I'd like to give my sincerest thanks and appreciation to all of you who had a part in making Co8 4.0.0 come to be. This community really is a cut above.

As a parting gift to those who may come after us with hopes of further modding this game, just as most of us came after the original crew, I'd like to ask Morpheus to close this thread and retitle it "The Saga of Co8 4.0.0," or something similarly snappy, so they can more easily find it in a search.

Or maybe it will just end up in the Negative Energy Plane forum? :shrug:

<Fade to black to the painful strains of Frank Sinatra . . .>

The record shows, we took the blows
    And did it oooouuuuuuuurrrrrrr wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!!!

:wavey:

12. Morpheus

Okay, I'll lock this thread. It has served its purpose, and served it well. Let's move on, folks! A bright future is ahead!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!