Our installation situation is a disaster - the saga of Co8 4.0.0

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Sep 18, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Re: Our installation situation is a disaster

Arena = cool

But I think it should be used for character leveling or something like that. You remember...high level folks coming to Hommlett to train the party? Perhaps an Illusionist casting shadow monster spells, that sort of thing? He/she does the spell casting motion, and a monster shows up for the player to defeat. They get extra XP as a bonus. helps them get that last few in for the next level; or spare points for crafting, perhaps.

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I should have the release notes posted here for review by late Sunday, assuming you ever send me the contributors list Gaear. Once I get the nod on them I will wrap the whole thing up into a zip file and send it to Morpheus.

I have asked Morpheus for a deadline as to when I need to have the stuff to him, as I know his schedual is going to get hectic again in November. Based on the info I have right now, I would say that deadline will probably be Friday after next, or October 28th for those of you without a calendar.

I would love to see the Arena of Heros mod make it in to 4.0.0, but given the time frame implied by the deadline I don't know if it will be possible.

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

OK, an update on my side: my part is done, I submitted the final version of Toffee 3.3, together with a revamped documentation, to Cerulean the Blue, so it'll make it to Co8 4.0.0. Also, Toffee 3.3 is available for a separate download in the corresponding thread.

- Agetian

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'll get you the contributors list soon, Blue.

Question: did we ever come to a conclusion regarding size limitations for the mod? I seem to recall we were considering making Ted's voices optional or something like that. At any rate, what size are we looking at?

I wonder, does 100 MB to 50 MB make any difference for people with dialup? I would think anything beyond maybe 10 MB would get very prohibitive for them.

Hmmm, bandwidth limitations sounds like a good topic for a new poll. Look for it soon.

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

I personally think anything above 10 MB should be an optional download. There are still people with slooow connections out there.

What about releasing a Co8 4 Lite package, without the voices etc., and a "Deluxe" version?

6. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

ive been through this before .. on another game how about offering two options
    1 for those with DSL cable or T 1s to their homes
    a full all in one zip

and 2 (for those with modem /dial up or slow connects )

break up the all in one zip into 3 or 5 easy to digest err Download chuncks
    with another 1 or 2 zips for voices...

its not really that much harder.. depending on what install creator you are using a little bit of time and thought is required but it shouldnt be very difficult

at least ive successfully used that solution in the past to solve a simalar difficulty

7. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

You know, we have already discussed this. As I said somewhere on the first page of this thread, the release, as it now stands with Toffee, Co8 3.0.4, Liv's Mod, Ted's Mod, and Allyx's ShopMap, is at 46.7MB, 31.2 MB in a zip file using standard compression. This does not include any custom PC portraits or Ted's PC Voices, which we have already agreed will come in separate Voice and Portrait packs.

We are already way over 10MB. We are not going to get in under 10MB and include everything we want to. Even if Ted took out all the custom music out of his mod, we would still be at approximately 27MB, or 15MB in a zip file using standard compression (yes Ted, the mp3s do take up a lot of space - you can say "I told you so"). I have no idea how much size the installer is going to add, nor if the installer will use the same compression as the zip file, if it uses any.

Edit: Can someone please check out the cloaks of protection and the robes of the archmage. They are removing dex bonus, and I may not have time to figure it out and fix them.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

IMO - The answer to the file size being large is simple. Use spanning to divide the single file executable download for portions of the one file to be contained in multiple zip or rar files.

[EDIT] Plus, have one full single file download for DSL/cable/T1 users.

9. Agetian

Once again an input on my side: according to the demands of the community, I have updated Toffee with the enable/disable intro movies thing (no need for the bat files btw), and also I have added tooltips for all options and buttons. Version 3.3a is uploaded to the corresponding thread. Feel free to incorporate v3.3a into Co8-4.0.0!

- Agetian

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Weeding out unnecessary files

Since Cerulean is currently doing the documentation and the files for the next official release, I've got a little request for all modders: Please go through your mods and search for unnecessary stuff, i.e. files that aren't actually used. A quick look through Allyx's Toffee pack for Ted's mod, for example, shows that there are some unused .tga files, a few .bak files (backup files created by ProtoEd), .pyc files (compiled Python script files the game creates) etc. A remnant of Co8 3.04 is the superfluous unpacked version of JHunz's portrait wizard in data/scr. Let's all try to reduce the size of the download to the max.

11. Agetian

I'm on a dial-up, since anything better is still very expensive in Russia. But that doesn't restrict me to either 10, 50, or 100MB. The biggest download I ever had is about 1300MB (yeah, that's almost 1.3GB!), anything around 100MB is OK to download (I usually download at night with an auto-resume/auto-redial turned on and the modem sound turned off :)). Anything around 300MB is much, but tolerable. A *big* file for me is anything above 300MB.

Of course, I understand that it's just me ;) Many people with dial-up are restricted to something like 25-30MB, and they are not really willing to download anything above that (they start looking for people with a broadband to help them out). A friend of mine is on a dial-up too, and he never downloads anything above 5 MB, although he technically can do it. I guess it's just him not willing to lose way too much time on downloading (since he can always ask me to do it ;))

- Agetian

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Check out the link I posted for my recent works in the "of damagon and allyx" thread, I got that problem fixed, and added a whole plethora of new spells, summon-able familiars ect...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Kudos to Allyx!.. :thumbsup:

14. Libri

Libri Member

Well, I'll say it. Ted, your mod is a wonderful example of creativity, with moments where I spit my morning coffee onto the computer screen, and 1 moment where I about crapped my pants. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. BUT... the tone is not in keeping with that of vanilla TOEE. I think you're right on in wanting DH to be a separate module, not part of 4.0.

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

To be honest :imwithstu, I don't mind the odd bits of fed - exing, but there was quite a lot of it in DH, not to mention that the whole avatar this.... avatar that.... dialogue had me completely lost (never played Ultima). I tried kicking Frank's ass too - with 1st level characters! I know there are better ways to find out if he's a real balor or a human with REALLY bad acne, but it was (slightly) more fun that way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!