Our installation situation is a disaster - the saga of Co8 4.0.0

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Sep 18, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Re: Our installation situation is a disaster

The Cloak of Arachnida is cool, casts web, grants freedom of movement, and immunity to spider poison! much better than a regular ring of freedom of movement - and you can craft it at level 6!

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I have a question for you all reguarding the release notes. The current situation with Co8 3.0.4 is that the release notes for 2.0.0 and 3.0.3 were included as separate documents, along with a third document for the release notes for 3.0.4. Should I we continue in this trend, just throwing in all three of those, and adding one more for 4.0.0? Should we keep the release notes for Liv's and Ted's mod separate as well, and just include them as is? Or should we (and I guess I mean I here, since I'm the fool who volunteered for this) combine it all into one large release info text? Mind you, if we decide to go with the one document full credit will be given (as best I can figure out who did what) to each modder for the work that they did. Agetian's documentation will of course remain intact as separate documents. I am viewing this as not just a change and addition log but as a future reference so we know who to blame, I mean go to, for certain aspects of modding if the need arised. :point:

So, give me your thoughts on this.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

put all the notes in one file and label them with sub headings.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I like the idea of having one master document as well, if you feel up to it Blue.

Also, I can perhaps help you regarding Co8 members to credit, as I had compiled a fairly comprehensive list some time ago. Let me know.

btw, we appreciate all your hard work on this. Somebody had to run with the ball and you did it -- good job! :thumbsup:

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

What he said :)

I'd say one doc.

6. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Another vote for one doc. Makes things a lot clearer and easier to find. Personally I hate to dig through several documents trying to find the information I need.

- Agetian

7. ALLANON

ALLANON Member

Just wanted to give a response on the question about unfogged nodes. Just tried a party with nodes unfogged and everything seemed to go a lot smoother. I only had 2 slow downs when trying to move around and they only happened when I was scrolling the map while moving.

8. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

one doc sub headings for each "mod" within the pack and the list of who to blame what on...err congratulate for what..:)

i to hate having to play scavanger hunt to find things in docs..

5 programmer rules..
    if its not broken dont fix it..
    if you break it fix it..

if you can do it neater faster better do it..
    document everything...so anyone who has the basics can follow whats been done..

instructions should be written for the lowest common denominator.. stupidity and hydrogen may be the only universal things.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks for the feedback dude. :)

Now lay off the bourbon.

Edit: simultaneous post - u drink up Bradwini!

10. ALLANON

ALLANON Member

Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but... i tried downloading Zane's extractor earlier and didn't get anything useful (notepad doc of nothing readable).

11. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

ted umm no i spent 25 yrs drinking way to many cases of single malt per month..
    i prefer to remeber the past week thank you..but you have mine:)

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I've often maintained that scrolling the screen and moving at the same time, especially in the fire node, is BAD. I also think setting the scroll speed lower is GOOD, as it keeps too much from having to be rendered all at once. I'd scout ahead invisibly to open up areas (removing fog...?) , then march the party, scroll, march, etc. until we reached a point where we could buff up, then assault the creatures we were moving towards. In addition, you can scroll all the way to your destination...IF you're not moving...then click a spot on the ground, and wait while the party walks all the way to that spot. Trouble is, sometimes the members like to wander off into unexplored areas, and get into a fight. Not a desirable thing; hope you've saved recently, as this will most likely involve the death of one or more characters.

One last observation on invisible scouts...they make great forward observers... lobbing in a fireball (or ten) from beyond visual range of the monsters has a great effect on combat.

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

in the nodes I always scroll using the arrow keys not with the mouse

14. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

I vote to keep the docs seperate as a way of ensuring that all the steps taken up to this point are clearly delineated and as an aid in further debugging. There are many distinct contributions in the release as it is now. Trying to cram them all into one document coherently, is, I think, a Herculean task.

I think that there should be an overview of what the release does and that each individual conributor should be given a chance to tighten up their docs. An html index of all the docs for each mod contribution should then be provided. Each contributor would (if possible) then provide an html, text, or whatever file that could be linked with the main index. I think that this would be the best way to do things, given the very diverse nature of the release.

This saves Cerulean from having to try to force some kind of arbitrary form upon a bunch of documents that don't mesh.

Darmagon

15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Hey I like the basic text "read me" styled dokuments. if everything was set up like a CV with newest info at the top and oldest at the bottom. I find it easier to look through one doc than try and sort through several doc's to find what I'm looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!