Other potential total conversion ideas

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Allyx, Jun 21, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Thanks @sirchet, I do and I'll check that out for sure.

2. Gus

Gus Member

Hi @Allyx,
    First I would like to thank you and the crew for all your hard work on the IWD conversion.

The only way I could get Pool of Radiance: Myth of Drannor going within Windows 10 was to install Oracle Virtualbox (Free) and run Windows XP in a VM. This fixed all the probs I was having (well, the graphical problems anyway)... There is a Directdraw problem in anything above Windows 7 and the normal solution of ddraw.dll didn't work well.

Hope this helps.
    Gus

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  3. Allyx

Ah, ok. Thanks @Gus I have a dual boot system - Windows 10 (default) and Windows Vista. I'll try getting it to run in Vista and see if that works for me.

Glad you're enjoying the IWD conversion, I hope to get it all polished up for a full proper demo version soon before pressing on with Kuldahar and the Vale of Shadows. :D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  4. Gus

Gus Member

@Allyx, I am sure that your all over it but just incase, you will need to enable Directdraw with dxdiag for Vista; not enabled by default. Vista didn't last long for my system (bought a new notebook around that time with Vista installed, and reverted to XP within two weeks - had some problems with work applications) so I am unsure whether that would be the only problem.

Good new on the IWD front :)

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

What are the tweaks on the graphics card?

6. chano

chano Established Member

Turning off antialiasing was what i did last time

7. The Overlord

The Overlord Member

Been a while since I last posted, but I have a suggestion for maps. There's a game called Exanima that has some of the best graphics I've seen in a fantasy setting! The maps are 3D isometric and you can rotate the view 360 degrees, not sure if you can change the viewing angle to meet the exact TOEE engine requirements, but it appears comparatively close.

Some gameplay example:

8. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

If you can get an isometric screen-shot of it, that's all you really need. Then you can photoshop it to your needs. There's no real game engine for ToEE art. They're just jpg files that you walk on.

What are the legalities of doing this? There are tons of maps I'd like to steal from other game for my mod, but have not for copyrite concerns.

9. The Overlord

The Overlord Member

And since you can rotate 360, you potentially have 4X the screenshots to use for piecing together a custom dungeon.

10. Allyx

@The Overlord If the isometric angle the maps are displayed in is always the same, ToEE's angle can be adjusted to match (altering the characters angle) that of the map used, the current map editing tools would need a similar edit in angle, which is something haven't done yet.

11. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

You could have 360 screenshots actually. :)

One concern would be lighting. Unless there's a way to display the scene with a consistent light, you'd have a very shadowy image.

Also, that room reminds me of this room on temple level 3.

TL3.jpg

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Roll of the dice ... most likely no one would notice or care, but the copyright holder would have the power to shut you down pretty much instantly if they noticed and cared.

The 3D aspect of the Examina graphics would be problematic for ToEE, as ToEE is 2D isometric (no real depth).

13. The Overlord

The Overlord Member

Re watching the Exanima video, I was wondering if is it possible to implement a limited zoom feature using the mouse scroll wheel in ToEE-X? That would significantly improve the game IMHO, and make looting bodies easier when they drop in close proximity. Also, when fighting in the water (e.g. random encounter map) , highlight object does not work on bodies under the water, and we all know how much of a pain that is. Can that be fixed?

Our Host!