Orc/Ogre Cave quest empty?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Cetali, Sep 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cetali

Cetali Member

My system: Celeron 2.0, 512 MB RAM, ASUS Radeon 9600SE, Windows XP SP3, DirectX 9.0c.

About the earlier report of every TU being a Greater Turning for clerics with the sun domain ... scratch that, I didn't realize a normal TU can destroy undead too.

2. Cetali

Cetali Member

Is there anything special about weapons with Radiant in the name?

My lvl 12 Sorc casts Mage Armor with a duration of 7200 ... isn't that a tad long?

Also about the Sorc, if he runs out of spells for a level, he can still keep casting spells of that level, losing one spell of the next highest level where he still has a number greater than 0 to cast. Is this how it's supposed to work?

3. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

That is not normal at all. When you have exhausted the mojo for a given spell level, the whole spell level and the spells of that level should disappear from the radial menu.

Mage Armor's duration is 1/hr (or 600 rounds) per level. 7200 is correct for 12th!

If memory serves, Raiant bypasses Armor and Natural Armor.

4. Cetali

Cetali Member

That's how it works for the cleric and wizard in my party. For the sorc, if for example he casts his supposedly last third level spell, the counter for that level drops to 0/7 but it remains in the radial menu. And he can still cast Fireball for example. If he does, the third level counter remains at 0/7, and fourth level counter goes down by one. If fourth is at 0, fifth level counter goes down by one.

I'm talking about the normal spells, there are no metamagic feats involved.

Oh, all right. That's quite the bang for the buck then.

Neat, thanks. Those weapons sure could use a Shift+Click info then.

5. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Radiant weapons, once identified, are holy weapons.

They DO bypass creatures damage resistance and come in EXTREMELY handy when fighting any sort of demon, especially Zuggy. Find these Radiant items, upgrade them to +3 when you have a chance and you'll be all set to do battle with the Abyss!

If you have a cleric with the Good sphere and Craft Weapons and Armor, you can make your own holy weapons right at home!!

6. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Watch out.
    Radiant weapons Ignore non-living material. This means, effectively ignore AC...but it doesn't work against undead and constructs.
    There isn't any radiant weapon in ToEE, but the ones so called are in fact Holy weapons.
    Holy weapons do holy damage, this means +2d6 against evil oponnents. They don't bypass DR, they simply do the extra 2d6 against evil charcters. Note that elementals for example, are neutral and the weapon is useless against them. Indeed, you need holy weapons to even scratch Zuggy or the demons.

That's it.
    Sorcerers have that advantage.
    If you ran out of 1 lvl spells, youn "sacrifice" higher level spells to keep casting.
    So, for example, you ran out of magic missiles (lvl 1), but invisibility (2 lvl) is useless in that moment, you can sacrifice it to cast an additional magic missile.
    Sorcerers don't memorize spells, so they can switch easily between them, they cast them spontaneously. (but they have the disadvantage of losing a full round using metamagic feats, unlike the wizard).
    Since i don't use Sorcerers, i din't knew that ability worked.
    Neat :)

7. Cetali

Cetali Member

There are radiant weapons in 5.0.6. I'm not confusing them with holy ones, both holy and radiant are in the game. There was a Radiant Spiked Chain and some others, but other than the name they appeared exactly like their normal counterparts, and they didn't have any Shift+Click info, that's why I asked. Didn't actually test them in combat, don't know if the armor bypassing works.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

As the guys said above, 'radiant' is what Holy weapons are called before they are identified. Its a description to let you know that while you may not be exactly sure what you have got (like any unidentified weapon), this particular item radiates light, goodness, warm fuzzy feelings etc. So its probably holy. Or cursed. Really really badly cursed :nervous:

9. Cetali

Cetali Member

Just wanted to say, I finally finished the game ... in the end it was a constant battle with bugs, the enemies weren't that hard. There are no new bug reports here, I'll just ramble a bit.

I couldn't completely explore temple lvl 4 due to the freeze bug always happening near a door down the right hand path, in the north. I think Senshock must be somewhere behind it cause I never met him.

No trouble with Hendrack, maybe because I took him out in the first round. Afterwards I read about Iuz and St. Cuthbert, but since the rest of that battle was a pain due to lagging animations, I didn't replay to get to see (and kill?) them.

Trouble exploring the paths off Hendrack's room due to the freeze bug again, but made it into the nodes. No trouble with the enemies there, killed the Balor on the 2nd try (during the first he got a Fear spell through and charmed one of my two best fighters who hacked the other to pieces in one round with critical hits), but oh, the bugs again. Air node was a pain due to lagging animations, and in the fire node it got bad with saves. In general, the further I had gotten into the game, the longer it took to save and load. Might be normal. Likewise, the crashes to desktop became more and more common. I had to save a lot in the fire node so I wouldn't have to replay after a CTD, and often the game would freeze during those saves without actually saving. I absolutely couldn't kill that group of Salamanders to the east, cause afterwards it would *always* freeze during saving (believe me, I tried very often).

Anyway, completed the nodes and went to say hi to Zuggy ... finished the game once unintentionally by taking the gems (they don't really give you any idea what will happen if you take them, do they?), and now I'm trying to defeat her without having destroyed the orb first. It gets tough once she summons the fungus hordes, her fear effect is a pain, and the demons I summon with the orb don't really seem to do anything, but I almost got her on the second try. Too bad my lone surviving fighter/barb was still wielding the Silver Sword of Chaos, which she laughs at. But Thrommel's folks never showed up, and I didn't take Fragarach from him. Well, I'll craft him a better sword before the next attempt. If Zuggy doesn't *always* successfully trip him, it could work out ... I guess I could always just destroy the orb, but come on, that's for little girls.

All in all, a fun game. I can't thank the Co8 modding community enough, without your work it was unplayable for me. The game itself ... well, there's not much of a story, and what little where is gets delivered poorly (I don't even recall any proper in-game explanation who Zuggy is and what happened in the past), but naturally TOEE is the closest of all computer games in faithfulness to the 3.5 rules, and it is a fun combat simulator for them. There are many little annoyances like the font, the even with gamma too dark maps, all the running back and forth (takes some time to get to Teleport, and it doesn't take you back into the Temple), and poor game design like that whole Thrommel business, but it would have been much worse without Co8 additions like the Extraplanar Chest ... it's sad, it could have been a really great game, but so much of the official work was done poorly.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  10. Lightsfantastic

Lightsfantastic Member

Had an interesting thing happen in the orc cave.

My LG party of five level 4 PCs, (Female Human Paladin, Male Dwarf Cleric, Female 1/2-Elf Bard 2/Rogue 2, Male Human Sorcerer, & Male Gnome Druid ) plus Spugnoir (Level 4) and Melany (Level 2), are in the final process of mopping up the vile orcs. Only an archer, the shaman, and one barbarian remain, and they are in the middle of an entanglement spell. My unhurt Paladin (38 hp's, AC 20) has Lareth's Freedom of Movement ring and goes in to take them out. She smite's the Shaman, but then gets critically hit by the enraged Orc fighter with his rusty falchion for 64 hp's! :eek:_O:

I was stunned!

I play with a rule with my NPC's that I won't raise or reincarnate them if they get killed by a massive hit, or combination of hits, that take them below -10 quickly. Elmo got crushed by Lubash (took a double combo hit, figured he was goo) and Ronald was transfixed by the longspears of Lareth's guardsmen, so I decided to "retire" my good PC Paladin, cleaved in twain from her right shoulder to left hip. :tears:

Thanks for the mod!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  11. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Glad to see someone else shares my RPG concept of Death with Honor. Those are the smartest orcs on Oerth and they give one of the best fights in the game. I'm surprised you didn't mention their penchant for slaughtering spellcasters.

12. Lightsfantastic

Lightsfantastic Member

Yes, they do tend to go around the melee tanks. I've learned to make sure ALL my guys and gals have their melee weapons equipped before going in so I can get a few AoOP's as they head in. Then when they try to use a cure potion I get a few more. It helps.

Our Host!