Orc/Ogre Cave quest empty?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Cetali, Sep 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

No, they have a CR of 0-10 as well: it reflects the difficulty of the quest. Something like getting Paida back is a 10.

Emirkol: Thats the point of CR (as well as making it easier to balance the game). A party of level 2 characters who defeat a CR 4 monster thus get more XP than a party of level 6 characters, since it was obviously more of a challenge for them. If you are more than 4 levels above the monster's CR (for memory), you get nothing, you farming exploiter you.

2. Cetali

Cetali Member

Ah, I see. Bad luck I found the lotus so late then.

I just had this random encounter:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Naturally, I clicked Engage, hoping to take brutal vengeance for all the wrongs doors have done me over the years, but the wooden devils had escaped and I found myself enjoying the company of just three Giant Ticks indeed. Bummer.

In other news, I rescued Thrommel without touching his inventory, I did not take Fragarach from him, and after passing time for 30 days I'm now travelling around the map, hoping to meet his thank you expedition ... I only read about it, but it still works this way, right? They'll show up and give me Scather? I did not tell him I don't need a reward.

And two more things that might be related to the clones bug:

- There's a large room right next to the one where the Earth high priest resides which holds a number of guards. Some time after I had cleaned out the whole level I passed through there again, and there's a single living guard standing around there now, just in the spot where I previously killed one. He's friendly. Reminded me a bit of the clones of my characters.

- I can't enter the jeweller in Hommlet anymore. When I do, I see his shop with the NPCs standing around, and my characters all frozen in what looks like combat animations. The screen doesn't respond to anything, and after a couple of seconds the game crashes to desktop. Happens everytime I enter the building, no matter which door I use. I didn't have trouble inside the Hommlet buildings so far, just outside, but then I never moved around in them much.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  3. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

He He! I guess I'll stop slaughtering everything in sight for XP!:blush::evil_laug

Seriously, I had noticed the CR before, but was unaware of its important in the game.
    This is good to know, at least for me, to speed up game time instead of "farming" to level up! :blush:

4. Shiningted

Well, the random encounters are geared to CR, to keep them challenging, but a level 10 party who thinks "hmm, I need Xp for crafting - today I'll slaughter everyone in Hommlet whose name starts with a consonant..." is in for a shock.

5. Emirkol the Chaotic

Can't say I've gone around slaughtering innocents in ToEE... yet. However it does sound like ever so much fun! Any pointers or suggestions, Ted? :evilgrin:

Just kidding, I did enough research on the evil paths to *hopefully* handle them effectively.

6. Cetali

Cetali Member

Okay, the clones bug definitely can occur in other maps too ... I was just travelling back and forth between locales, leaving maps again right after arriving there, trying to meet Thrommel's reward party, and that eventually got me one of the all-in-one-spot duplicates of my party on the Moathouse Cave Exit map.

Back to an earlier save it is, hoping to just meet them naturally one day.

7. Shiningted

I wish we could replicate that bug, a party of dopplegangers out for a moonlight stroll would make for a nice random encounter.

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

No chance of adding an acutal doppleganger party encounter to a future mod, eh Ted?

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Insider tip: something like that is going to happen at Welkwood Bog. :twitch: :nervous:

10. Cetali

Cetali Member

Clones in Verbobonc too ... yeah, I finally went there. And while I'm really sorry for all the questions, here we go again:

I brought the Temple lvl 1 prisoners and then the merchants from lvl 2 back to Verbobonc. Shouldn't the merchants set up shop now? I've left Verbobonc and returned, I've let time pass, to no avail. I think they should be in the same street as the Hextor temple? Well, nothing's showing up anywhere. Also, is Ariel supposed to sell me scrolls? Cause she doesn't, the scrolls dialogue option doesn't lead to anything.

11. Emirkol the Chaotic

Thank the Gods (and Goddesses) for all you wonderful folks at Co8!

It's all your efforts, along with and in spite of, the ever constant balancing of RL issues, that make a game like this infinitely enjoyable! Cannot wait for the newest updates and the future ones as well.

12. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

These are both known bugs for Verbobonc ATM. A fix is probably going to happen eventually, but not in the near future - the Verbo-modder is currently dealing with RL issues and has little time for bug squashing.

A quick peek at this thread will give you a good idea of whether the bugs you find have been reported, and if a fix is forthcoming.

13. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Dude, your install is absolutely fucked up.

Since the clones seem to be actually there, but they don't give you permanent xp, they're not real clones, but seems as if the engine is doing two reads of the maps you enter...

-Do you have two installs?
    -Do you have KotB installed as well?
    -Do you have saves with some of the same charcters?
    -Is the first charcter in the row a NPC?
    -If you have a NPC, which one?

14. Cetali

Cetali Member

Just one install, never had KotB, no NPCs in the party. Not sure what you mean by "saves with some of the same characters".

I made it through Verbobonc okay, just some trouble with some drow rogues getting into an endless loop of Action Readied, but now I'm exploring level four of the temple, and the game often freezes up. No crash to desktop, it just freezes. That's a new one.

I take it you all got it right when you say my install is FUBAR, but since the clones thing happened with every install, I followed Zebedee's instructions to the letter, and there's nothing obviously going wrong during the installation, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Except install it anew again and again, but since I never had an install without that bug, I don't think that'll do any good. Just to cover the obvious, it's okay to install the game to a different drive than C:, right?

Right now I just hope that freeze bug won't keep me from finishing the game at least once. :cartman:

15. Shiningted

Out of curiosity (and apologies if you have mentioned it before) what OS are you using?

Our Host!