Opening locks...

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by throgir, Dec 29, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. throgir

throgir Member

Hi there,
    I have troubles with opening locks in ToEE... patched to Patch 2, then CO8 and created my party and started a game. But my rogue could never open any chests (playing true neutral so I didnt need it at the beginning). I thought OK, these are hard to open, come back later.
    My rogue is level 4 now and I can't open the chests in the moathouse. Not a single one...
    She is level 4 now, 19 in "open locks", dex 20. I put Guidance at her, no effect.
    Then I started "cheating" to look when I could open them.
    I used "levelup" in the console and upped her dex and open lock. Furthermore I used the console to give her better thief tools and dex +6 gloves. In the end, she had open lock at 27, was level 10 and still was unable to open a single chest in the moathouse.
    My wizard can open them with a single knock spell...
    What puzzled me, was the fact, that whenever she tries to open a chest then there is no text in the "dice"-window, nothing about open lock failed or something.
    Is there anything I can do to remove those "harder chests" from the co8 mod while leaving the rest?

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Since you are not getting any message in the roll window, I would guess it is a problem with your installation, and not the chests themselves. It would appear that your game isn't actually letting your rogue try to open the lock. I don't think there is a chest in the game with a DC higher than 33 (except maybe the one on the fourth level of the Temple), and since the game automatically gives you a roll of 20 to open locks, a Open Lock skill of 14 should be sufficient to open the chests. My advice is to reinstall. You may have to scrap your saved games as well, and just start over.

You can't really remove the harder chests. All the chests and traps in the game had their DC increased. The only way to change them back is too learn to use ToEE World Builder and change the DC on the chests, which would take a good deal of time. But once again, I feel your problem lies in the game install, and not the DC of the chests themselves.

3. throgir

throgir Member

damn that was the answer that i've feared :| thanks for the help nevertheless :)

4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Just a quick question. You are right-clicking on the chest and then selecting Open Locks from the Radial Menu, correct? Just clicking on the chest will result in the character just trying to open it, whether they know how to pick locks or not.

5. throgir

throgir Member

@Kalshane: Yes, that's what I do.
    To make things worse: I deinstalled, saved my savegames, deleted all remains after deinstall, re-installed, re-patched with patch2 and co8.
    Then started a new game and tried to open jaroo's chest... and still no text in the dice window and no success (even with "levelup" etc.)
    Then I thought the reason could be that I have a German ToEE. But at my girlfriend's laptop (who also has the German ToEE and the same patches) the rogue is working fine...
    Somehow I don't understand, only thing that is different is hardware, as both computers are XP pro patched up-to-date, DirectX 9c...

Our Host!