On the uses of World Builder

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ax Thrower, Jul 20, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Re: ToEE World Builder v2.0.4 (GPL)

... I am trying to work with the Toee world builder however every time I place the Mob files in the correct directory and try to run TOEE it CTD's to desktop.. If I delete them it runs fine... any idea of what I could be d:writersbl oing wrong... found a nice source for mini modules that could be used for add-ins and small jaunts into neverland

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Re: ToEE World Builder v2.0.4 (GPL)

Post #106 should really be in its own thread. [and this post to answer his question, too]

@moderators: Please move posts 106 and 107 to a new thread.

The problem possibly could be these two things.

(1) Two or more mobs have the same guid.
    (2) You clicked a flag [checkbox] you should not have clicked.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  3. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

The object files and prototypes can be very touchy, certain fields do not work while others work fine but are very sensitive to syntax. I would suggest that you do the tutorials included with the World Builder before really trying to do alot with the tool. (If you already haven't.) Some of the information in them is outdated(they were written during an earlier release) but Agetian did a really fine job on them. As far as the outdated ones go the information to update them can be found in posts in General Modification and Project Toolset for the most part. The well whadda know thread is also full of many jewels of information.

There is also a really good tutorial about Object Files in general by Agetian in the ToEE Project Toolset.

Another method that I found useful was opening up the .mob files and static objects that already existed and taking a good hard look at what had been done in the past by modders and Troika, the Troika Mobs can be found by extracting the .dat files.

To prevent myself from typo's and syntax errors I try to use the IntelliProperties feature whenever possible.

I have found that CTD's in general are caused by missing or erroneous information in a file or just a corrupted file a large percentage of the time. The program can not interpret what it is, so it just crashes. The remainder of the crashes I have seen are from information writing over into another functions memory space.

I am by no means proclaiming myself to be a final authority on any of this I haven't been at it that long either. Just relating my experiences.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  4. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I'm actually working on the tutorials now.. I have tried them several times.. painstakingly following detail by detail and it always ctd's when I copy over the mobs.. (any of them):cry:

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I would say one of three things:

1) U have set flags on the mobs that aren't right for those mobs (eg item flags on an NPC). Did u, perchance, click the little flag thing that 'activates' the rows of object flags to see them better, think "no I don't want to set this kobold as 'lock jammed'" and then declick the flag? There's your problem - just clicking the flag writes a long row of zeros into the mob ready to b turned into ones when u find the flags you want, and if that whole row shouldn't be there, the mob will crash. Have to start again.

2) Mobs are making internal calls to things that aren't there. If you decide you want to give Terjon a curette for his private time with Calmert, you have to both introduce the mob for the curette AND the updated Terjon mob, which will have a call to the curette's GUID written into it.

3) You created some new thing in ToEEWB but it isn't in the protos.tab / description.mes of the game. Don't forget you have to copy files back and forth pretty regularly if creating all-new protos.

My money is still on option 1. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  6. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

I was going this bit with chests, and, well :zzz: then :suprised: :coffee: and the wife going :point:

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

something else and more to add to previous post

Note: Added (3) below and comments.

(1) Two or more mobs have the same guid.
    -> This can happen by accident when you are deleting/replacing mobs if you are not careful. (I discovered this myself and learned from it.)

(2) You clicked a flag [checkbox] you should not have clicked.
    -> This can happen like what ShiningTed referred to and mentioned. (Know what checkboxes are okay to click before making a mob like what Rufnredde referred to and mentioned.)

(3) You added a faction to a monster mob and forgot to add a following trailing zero.
    -> Read the "Well whaddya Know?" thread.

Our Host!